08-22-2008

Switzerland

16 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 1 of 2

Topseller : Same product, 30 percent cheaper

2008-08-22, 17:32 PM

I was wondering about why there are huge differences between the list prices of the same models of Lenovo notebooks, such as x61s for instance. Some "configuration" are about 30% cheaper than others, even though they seem to be mostly equivalent from a technical point of view. Sometimes the cheaper ones even more or better features (such as built-in 3G wireless module).

The answer I got from a dealer is, that some versions of the same model of notebook are cheaper, because they are Topsellers - and that a topseller is defined as being a notebook which is expected to sell a lot.

I mean, if it is 30% cheaper, no wonder it becomes a top seller...

Is there any point in buying one of the Lenovo notebooks which are not a Top seller ?

I mean, if I want a particular configuration, such as an extra large harddisk for instance, it is in any case cheaper to buy the so-called Topseller and then make the desired changes.

It seems to me that this is merely confusing.

And people who bought the machine which is not a Topseller will feel screwed over, once they find out that such a thing exists.

Or am I mistaken? Any insight or opinion is appreciated.

Regards. 

Options

3258 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Topseller : Same product, 30 percent cheaper

2008-08-22, 21:48 PM

It all got to do with efficiency of scales and simplified storage/logisitcs:

-It simply costs less to produce more of a same things, as hardware components price drop (all hardwares are ordered in bulk, the more you order in one go the cheaper the price), and there is less likelyhood of putting the wrong components in the wrong machines (Simplified QA/QC).

-Faster turnover rate for products means faster cost recovery (no long storages) and there is less likelyhood of producing something no one wants (wasting storage space). This allows more liquidity in their cash flow and less overall risks. Fast turnover also ensures that when someone wants a product it would be shipped immediately instead of making people wait (customers would then curse Lenovo, blog about about their bad experiences or worse cancel their order and go to some other manufacturers).

-Lower prices also attract people to buy a certain product, most people loves discount (me included, i know i am bit of tight ass), which allows the previous two points to perpertuate.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete