cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OceanShoresBarb
Paper Tape
Views: 1,786
Message 1 of 6

U530 Ideapad Touch Hinges broken and no replacement..

Because my computer is out of  warrenty for over a year the contact I had with Lenovo has proved to be useless.  I called on Monday 4/25/16 to be told that they could replace the hinges a one time courtesy repair because the hinges they put into this unit were not strong enough to hold the display and they were replacing them with new ones.  I was told I would be called in 3 business days for instructions on shipping.  Upday today 4/28/16 phone call from Lenovo telling me that because they don't make those parts anymore that I would not be eligible for any repairs.  She said the only thing they could do is offer me a 15% on the back end of a purchase from Lenovo for a new computer.  This was totally unacceptable to me and I told the woman I was livid to think a company this large could not make this right...If they knew these hinges were defective every single person should have been compensated for this defect.  Personally I will never buy another Lenovo product as long as I breathe!  Now to spend another $900.00 for a new computer is a HUGE expense.  

coolidge
Paper Tape
Views: 1,725
Message 2 of 6

Re: U530 Ideapad Touch Hinges broken and no replacement..

I'm sorry to hear the same thing has happened to so many people with a not impressive response from Lenovo. My machine was purchased almost three years ago on a great recommendation from a friend. I paid a little more than I wanted to for a laptop. I really LOVE my Lenovo and babied it. Kept in same location constantly and was always careful to be gentle with it and keep it clean.

I haven't bothered to contact Lenovo as it seems there really is no help available this long after original posts began about the problem (2013-14?) and the issue of no parts pretty much tells me I have no option except trying to fix myself with screws. Only experience with towers so no confidence in that idea really, don't feel like something else breaking.

I guess I was lucky in that the screen or bezel did not crack but I am really angry and disappointed about this when Lenovo AND their support were so highly recommended. I spent much more than I would have, thinking I had a higher quality business use laptop. Since I didn't put it through normal business use of commuting, presentations, etc. I figured it would not have issues like this. It basically sits on one table perpetually and is opened/closed gently maybe three times a day.

I won't buy a Lenovo again. I really thought they were better than the lower end manufacturers. If the parts and engineering are defective, this should have been repaired for FREE and for all customers regardless of warranty or recalled. I don't know how common this problem is for those using U530's who bought them some time ago, most posts I've read are for around the time frame mine was new.

Otherwise, I have loved my Lenovo, it never glitches, sputters, overheats or any other issue, even running Windoze...so it's disheartening to have this one little bracket ruin it for me.

Come on Lenovo! Pony up and FIX these!

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules.

angryllama
Serial Port
Views: 1,608
Message 3 of 6

The "bottom right" or "bottom left" corners of Lenovo units seem to be NOTORIOUS for problems. While it is not Lenovo's intention to produce shoddy products, it is what they are doing. I spent $1000 on an Lenovo Ideapad U530 for my wife, it never left the kitchen counter (only to clean), and the bottom left corner hinge has broken and separated from the base, leaving me feel cheated.

The following post was made by Lenovo concerning this issue:

Our investigation of reported hinge / hinge mount failure symptoms as discussed in this thread for the U310, U310 Touch, U410, U410 Touch, U430 Touch and U530 Touch has concluded. Information on this topic is available to our support agents and warranty centers. If you have experienced these symptoms and your laptop has not been dropped or otherwise accidentally damaged and is under warranty, please contact Lenovo Service for resolution.

Please reference Service TIP HT102591.

Thank you,

Amy Tupper
Technical Resolution Lead, Pervasive Issues
Lenovo US

=== Thank you to docsmody on this... ===

Call Lenovo @ 1-855-271-3878 and navigate prompts for out-of-warranty issues. When you reach agent, advise that you have out-of-warranty unit with a defective hinge, but then reference the post above you found on Lenovo's website that addresses this manufacturer's defect and the agent will take it from there.

Sincerely,
A. Llama

lekius
What's DOS?
Views: 1,499
Message 4 of 6

Well, Lenovo, another customer lost due to this issue.

For all of you out there whose hinges broke and are looking for support - Lenovo will fix it if you are 6 months out of warranty. I am about 10 months out of warranty. They would not make an exception. Even though it's a known and pervasive problem.

Seriously - how does this math make sense to Lenovo? Customers lost vs cost of extending the warranty... Do not get it.

Bye Lenovo.

angryllama
Serial Port
Views: 1,488
Message 5 of 6

lekius,

My laptop's 1-year warranty ended February 24, 2015:

serialnumber.PNG

Since I used my credit card to purchase the unit, Visa automatically extends my warranty one additional year to February 24, 2016 (Mastercard does the same thing).  This is 3 months beyond warranty date, within Lenovo's 6 month cutoff.  If you used a credit card to purchase your unit (not a debit card, a credit card), advise the agent your warranty was extended one year by Visa/Mastercard and you will be taken care of.  This was my experience.

lekius
What's DOS?
Views: 1,411
Message 6 of 6

Thank you for the information! I never knew about this benefit of credit cards. Yes, I used a MasterCard which puts me within extended warranty and am now trying to work through the agent/support maze. The agent had never heard of this "supposed" extended warranty (her words) through credit cards, so I am now gathering this information and sending to them.

Good luck to us both

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors