Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkCentre DesktopsThinkCentre A, E, M, S Series
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 11

M700 SFF: Update Bios Using Command Prompt

2021-06-21, 22:06 PM

Hello,

I have a ThinkCentre M700 SFF 10GT.  I have a loop of automatic repair and blue screen that says your computer could not retart, we will start it for you. I discovered through the command prompt my bios is outdated. I downloaded the bios files but do not know what commands to use in command promt to install it. I have already formated the usb to Fat 32. Would it be D:\windows\system32> G: filename.exe ? G is my usb drive. I have downloaded the Lenovo utility on my laptop but the utility wants to install on my laptop, which is what I don't want. I want it to install on my USB drive with the bios file I downloaded so I can install on my desktop. I can only get to the command line recovery environment in Windows on my desktop.

Please help.

Answer
Options

5619 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8445 Signins

137193 Page Views

• Views: 137193

Re:M700 SFF: Update Bios Using Command Prompt

2021-06-24, 17:59 PM

@ StressFreeU2 wrote:

I have a loop of automatic repair and blue screen that says your computer could not retart, we will start it for you. I discovered through the command prompt my bios is outdated.

Your Bios is just one release out-of-date, the difference is 3 security fixes, and while those are important, they would not be the cause of the repair / blue screen loop.  I am not a Windows expert, you would get better advice on a Windows 10 forum, but guess would be a problem with the HDD.  You can run comprehensive diagnostics from the link at this page.  Specific HDD diagnostics can often be found at the website of the drive manufacturer.  If replacing, it would be an opportunity to increase the system's performance with a 2.5" SSD. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.

Replies(10)
Options

2834 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

326 Signins

14351 Page Views

• Views: 14351
  • Message 2 of 11

Re:Update Bios Using Command Prompt

2021-06-22, 9:31 AM

Hi StressFreeU2,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Check out NVIDIA's guide on how to update BIOS through USB here

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Views: 28234
  • Message 3 of 11

2021-06-22, 9:59 AM

Hi StressFreeU2!

Welcome to community forums

What is the exact error message? Have you checked first if the HDD is detected under the BIOS? If yes, try loading the default setup.

Press the F9 key to load the default settings then the F10 key to save it.

Update us on how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

5 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2021-06-22, 15:09 PM

Hello,

I have attached pictures to show you the Bios and directory. I watched a video on what do do when you see error message "operating system could not be found. Press control, alt delt to retart". The computer shuts down and does not restart.  I created a boot today.  The bootmgr has several numbers before it. 

I had Windows 10 update installed in the past, as a reult there are three "found" folders. I believe this along with my outdated Bios is causing th problem. I tried to delete them. The computer prompted me to say yes and I did but they did not disappear. I may have a virus as well. I was told that Windows updates also caused a problem, so I want to delete those. But system says wusa cannot be found. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UL_rXwkF2vQSeQRccNRuJszapRtlI_YC?usp=sharing

Thus all started because I was not able to login. The screen was syuck on the time and date, now it is worse.

Anything you can do would be appreciated.

Options

5 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2021-06-22, 21:08 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the welcome. 

I have tried for several hours to use Rufus. I select the file from my dowloads and put in a blank usb drive. Rufus goes through the download process but there is nothing on the USB drive. Prior to starting it says the file already exists in my downloads do I want to replace it. 

When it finishes and I go to copy it to my usb drive, it says to install another disk (I am assuming to finish copying). This is just a nightmare. I thought installing the bios would be easy. I have lost a great deal of revenue because this is my work computer. I have not been able to work in several days.

I redownloaded the file from Lenovo website and copied it to my USB drive (without using Rufus). I am going to try to and install it through command prompt. I would like some help to figure out the commands to do that. 

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Views: 28234
  • Message 6 of 11

2021-06-22, 21:51 PM

I suggest you try to check how to restore your Windows boot issue initially.

If you have any important data then perhaps best to manage to back it up first.

Once all is ok, then we can explore more on what we can and cannot do about the way BIOS is intended for set up.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7174 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29279 Signins

1677683 Page Views

• Views: 1677683
  • Message 7 of 11

2021-06-22, 23:26 PM

@ StressFreeU2 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for the welcome. 

I have tried for several hours to use Rufus. I select the file from my dowloads and put in a blank usb drive. Rufus goes through the download process but there is nothing on the USB drive. Prior to starting it says the file already exists in my downloads do I want to replace it. 

When it finishes and I go to copy it to my usb drive, it says to install another disk (I am assuming to finish copying). This is just a nightmare. I thought installing the bios would be easy. I have lost a great deal of revenue because this is my work computer. I have not been able to work in several days.

I redownloaded the file from Lenovo website and copied it to my USB drive (without using Rufus). I am going to try to and install it through command prompt. I would like some help to figure out the commands to do that. 

You may want to consider downloading the ISO version on another PC, burning it to disc, and then booting it in your M700 10GT to do the update?

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

5 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2021-06-24, 15:22 PM

Hello,

I appreciate all the attempts to help me. I am truly a novice at this. I am learning as I go. 

I set the current bios back to its original defaults a few days ago.  I ran chkdsk and it showed Windows made corrections. See pictures. The only CD drive I have is in the computer that is not working. When I put a CD in, and access the drive thru command prompt, it says drive is not ready. The only options I have are the working USB ports on my laptop and desktop computer. I can access the usb ports on my desktop computer through command prompt using Windows media. 

When I try to install th Bios m05jy91usa.exe and fbyjd5usa, the message says this is not compatible with the windows version installed on your computer. I have tried the zip way, the exe way and iso. I have followed the readme txt directions. I am sure I am doing something wrong. All of the internet articles I read say Rufus is number 1 with installation of bios. I created a bootable usb using FreeDos in Rufus and it is not working for me. After I format, I am unpacking the files and copying them into the my usb.  My bios verion is M05KT90A. When I go to Levono website  for that bios it shows m05jy91usa.exe https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds111845-flash-bios-update-intel-h110-skylake-s-thinkcentre-m700-type-10gq-10gr-10gs-10gt-10kl-10km-10kn-10kq which is what I am trying to install. 

I was told this was caused by windows updates. But I cannot uninstill them because the wusa service is not on or recognized. 

The serial number of my computer is *******   MT -M  10GT002SUS.

Mod:  serial number removed, per Forum Guidelines to prevent it's authorized use; added link to your system's spec

Answer
Options

5619 Posts

01-01-2012

United States of America

8445 Signins

137193 Page Views

• Views: 137193
  • Message 9 of 11

2021-06-24, 17:59 PM

@ StressFreeU2 wrote:

I have a loop of automatic repair and blue screen that says your computer could not retart, we will start it for you. I discovered through the command prompt my bios is outdated.

Your Bios is just one release out-of-date, the difference is 3 security fixes, and while those are important, they would not be the cause of the repair / blue screen loop.  I am not a Windows expert, you would get better advice on a Windows 10 forum, but guess would be a problem with the HDD.  You can run comprehensive diagnostics from the link at this page.  Specific HDD diagnostics can often be found at the website of the drive manufacturer.  If replacing, it would be an opportunity to increase the system's performance with a 2.5" SSD. 

I do not work for Lenovo. I do not respond to Private Messages for help, your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where the information exchange may help others. If I helped you, click the 'Thumbs up' button, if solved, the 'Accept as solution'.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

06-21-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 10 of 11

2021-07-01, 20:06 PM

Can you give me recommendations of a good SDD that would replace my current hard disk? I know the Lenovo model I have uses SSD. From what I read SSD is better than HDD. Due to the pandemic I don’t have a great deal of money to spend. Thank you

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms