Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

05-24-2019

United States of America

2 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 251 of 253

Re: WWAN and wireless card BIOS whitelists? Lenovo, COME ON.

2019-05-24, 20:51 PM

Vinniemac, I too had the same problem (Challenge) as you. I wanted to (and did) upgrade my WAN Card to an Intel 8265 on my Lenovo T440S. Here's what I did. I downloaded gjuj23us.exe Bios Ver 2.36 from Lenovo's Site. (https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds035965) This version does not have a whitelist of hardware. Scroll down untill you find it.  Next, I removed the existing driver for my LAN Card from device manager and then my existing physical WAN Card. I rebooted the computer and used this method. This method is really easy to follow and has no risk involved. If talking about the downgrading process, the Official BIOS installer will always have issue if a updated BIOS has been flashed already on the Laptop. The workaround is there.

For this method, you don't need the test clip or the programmer or the modified BIOS.

The BIOS v2.36 has no whitelist and can be flashed in order to install the Intel 8265 Card without any issues.

Boot to Windows

Run the installer. By default, the C drive location will be used.

Once completed, it will ask you to update, continue with that. But it will throw a error saying "BIOS image file does not match this system." which is just a crap. It's because the new version is write protected and cannot be downgraded with the official installer. The changelog states "If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.36 or higher, it is no longer able to roll back to the version before 2.36 for security improvement."

Do NOT close the warning message yet.

Go to C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\, this is the location where the flash utility gets extracted, if you used the default location.

Open Command Promot and run it as Administrator

Type 
Code: (Copy and paste)

C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\WinFlash64.exe /sd /file C:\DRIVERS\FLASH\gjuj23us\GJET86WW\$01DF000.FL1

The WinFlash64.exe file needs a BIOS file as an argument which is being done with the /sd /file options and it will initiate the flashing (downgrading) without any issue.

I powered down the laptop and installed the Intel 8265. After reboot (No errors) I was greeted by my laptop finding the 8265 and installing it's driver. Hope this helps

Options

462 Posts

05-28-2017

Canada

524 Signins

3483 Page Views

• Views: 3483
  • Message 252 of 253

Re: WWAN and wireless card BIOS whitelists? Lenovo, COME ON.

2019-07-04, 15:59 PM

My X230 has a whitelist so I cannot upgrade the Wi-Fi to a faster model such as wave 2 802.11ac etc

I own: T400 T500 X220 running Windows 10 x64 & My X230 runs Linux for my webserver
Options

2 Posts

04-06-2021

Brazil

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 253 of 253

Re:WWAN and wireless card BIOS whitelists? Lenovo, COME ON.

2021-04-06, 20:48 PM

It's 2021, and it's still the same. Lenovo, I won't be buying your laptops again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms