Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

25 Posts

06-24-2013

Essex, UK

22 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 31 of 253

Re: I'm absolutely fuming!

2013-06-24, 11:44 AM
Oh my god, I totally forgot about my L412, it's got a dead LCD and the whole reason I bought the Y580 and guess what??!! the N6300 doesn't work in that either, because of yet another BIOS white-list!
Options

31 Posts

05-22-2013

Norway

47 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 32 of 253

2013-06-24, 12:11 PM

I totally agree. I`ve also bought a computer from the wrong company. Actually I`ve surrendered and have ordered a very expensive 300 Mbps usb-wifi-dongle that works with linux ootb. It`s quite disturbing to have to do this, when I have no less than 6 perfectly fine brand new intel wifi cards, that all is supported in Linux, but Lenovo`s whitelist doesn`t let me use them.

I`ll buy a ASUS next time. But it doesn`t stop there, I`m no longer recommending Lenovo for Linux, or any other OS for that matter..., as Lenovo only have whitelisted wifi-cards that are outdated everywhere, and completely useless in Linux.

Options

25 Posts

06-24-2013

Essex, UK

22 Signins

102 Page Views

• Views: 102
  • Message 33 of 253

2013-06-24, 17:18 PM

We need to get in touch with somebody at one of the head offices and ask them for an explanation as to why they have enforced this ridiculous white-listing. When looking, I couldn't find anything in Europe (I'm not counting Paris, they hate us brits) let alone the UK? I wish as countries we would have helped companies like Amstrad, Tiny (they had shops here) and Tandy, not just turned to cheaper foreign alternatives. The same can be said for people in the US etc. because the only time any of us get upset when dealing with out of country branded companies, is when we try to communicate with them. If anyone out there knows the legitimate reason for why this is enforced, I would love to know. 

http://www.lenovo.com/lenovo/uk/en/locations.html

Options

31 Posts

05-22-2013

Norway

47 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 34 of 253

2013-06-24, 19:17 PM

Sure, I totally agree. In my country Norway, we only have one manufactor of laptop`s, and they deliver laptops without os and without any hardware-restrictions at all. You also get to change the hardware-configuration to your liking, and they will build what you order. The only problem is that they can not compeet with low-end campaigned pc`s from hp, lenovo, toshiba etc..., and it`s quite tempting to pick up such cheap pc`s, especially since the industry is moving so fast.So cheap that you can throw it away after a year or two. 

But as I have totally migrated to LInux, I will jump off this runaway train, and buy quality laptops without hardware-restrictions, and where the parts are optimal for linux. So be it that the cost will be at least twice the price. At least I don`t have to throw away the pc because it`s not possible to find whitelisted parts, or that the whitelisted parts either are completely outdated and useless, or way to expensive...

Options

7 Posts

04-16-2013

United States

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 35 of 253

2013-07-01, 18:49 PM

I too ran into this issue recently as the Broadcom card in my unit is trash and I only use Linux on my systems. To say I am disgusted would be the ultimate understatement. I sat there wondering how on earth this makes any degree of logical sense. At the end of the day, I stopped caring. I simply won't support Lenovo. I will do everything in my power to ensure that friends and family do not get stuck with this nonsense.

Lenovo, stop pissing off your customers and use some logic. It's really not that difficult.

Options

31 Posts

05-22-2013

Norway

47 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 36 of 253

2013-07-02, 0:44 AM
Yes, and I who was told that Lenovo would be linux-friendly... That Broadcom card is crap, and the same is the Atheros-alternative that is whitelisted. It`s crap even with Windows, but with linux they are worse than crap. Sure, I get it to work with Broadcom-STA and WL, but for someone like me who always are testing new distros and running unstable, it`s frustrating to have to manually configure that crappy card all the time.

I guess I could live with it if it was good when working, but it cant deliver the speeds that I need. I`m stuck at 65 Mbps while I have lots of new cards supporting 300 Mbps that Lenovo refuses me to use. The worst part is that they are FCC-approved Intel-cards...

Never Lenovo again. The bios also sucks. A intel based ASUS-pc is probably the best choice for Linux, and I will get one...
Options

6379 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28901 Signins

1655168 Page Views

• Views: 1655168
  • Message 37 of 253

2013-07-02, 1:08 AM

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

6379 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

28901 Signins

1655168 Page Views

• Views: 1655168
  • Message 38 of 253

2013-07-02, 2:29 AM

Moderator note: Several posts were removed for violating the Community Rules:

Specifically: "It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo."

Regards.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

7 Posts

04-16-2013

United States

10 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 39 of 253

2013-07-02, 3:00 AM

I'm all ears if anybody has an email address or number to contact. I've tried 3x already but everybody says "this isn't the place for it." 

Options

31 Posts

05-22-2013

Norway

47 Signins

134 Page Views

• Message 40 of 253

2013-07-02, 12:06 PM

Well, instead of deleting posts, why not tell Lenovo to do the only right thing. Offer a bios-update with the whitelists removed. And remove the whitelists in all new bioses from now. It`s much better that Lenovo does this themselves, than having lots of us going to more or less serious places to request a bios-mod, or disconnecting and reassembling the antennas hundreds of times to try wifi-cards. Because the antenna-connectors are quite easily damaged, and one shouldn`t connect/disconnect them more often that absolutely necessary.

Another thing, why doesn`t Lenovo inform buyers about the whitelists, and include a text-copy so potential users can see exactly how restricted it is. I couldn`t complaint if I knew what I bought, but I had no clue. I didn`t even know that such things existed. Now I know why I`ve had to scrap other Lenovo-laptops because I couldn`t get them to accept any wifi-cards.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms