Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loyukfai
Punch Card
Views: 439
Message 1 of 6

Warranty Service for Ultraslim Adapter Purchased from Outlet

I got wind of the availability of the 90W Ultraslim AC/DC Combo Adapter on Lenovo Outlet via a forum thread a whlie back. A forumer helped me to purchase one and post it to Hong Kong to me.

Sadly, the adapter malfunctioned after arriving in Hong Kong.

So I contacted Lenovo Outlet, and they originally told me to send it to the local service center for repair service, who informed me that the 90-day limited warranty is not entitled for international service and refused to fix it. Instead, they offered to sell me a new one.

Then I contacted Lenovo Outlet again and they said they had made an error, and I indeed have to send it back to the US for warranty service.

Do you think if there's any other recourse for me?

Thanks in advance.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 428
Message 2 of 6

Re: Warranty Service for Ultraslim Adapter Purchased from Outlet

there is no international warranty on most of the laptop power accessories. Given that outlet parts are cheaper than the regular retail, the level of support is considerably less.

Also, only the US has the outlet store, and they are managed slightly different to the regular retail channel.

This is one reason why it is not advisable to buy a product from overseas to save a few penny, without having proper warranty support within the country of residence. This sort of grey import practice is also not something Lenovo condones.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
loyukfai
Punch Card
Views: 424
Message 3 of 6

Thanks. The warranty terms for the ultraslim adapter say "worldwide". But then the IWS say that refurbished machines aren't cpvered. However I read that machines sold via the Outlet are covered, IIRC. And they don't seem to have a clear and coherent policy regarding accessories. Anyway, is there an US support email? I think the case is kind of complicated and would be better discusssed via emails. But I can only find the tel support number. Cheers.
Views: 418
Message 4 of 6

i read through Lenovo's outlet website T&C, there is no clear statements on how they handle international warranty when the parts/accessories are bought off the outlet website.

Outlet website is not the best managed and the people you ask are not the last word on this. You probably need to ask someone else.

Having a closer look at the product description and warranty T&C i think there is no clause to deny you the international warranty component of the power adapter (since they have not exclusively stated that international warranty is voided). The penalty of the outlet product is the 90 days warranty, but they did not state that it is exclusive to within the US border. 

But i guess that leaves open to interpretation, whether or not you get the warranty coverage depends on whether the person you speak wants to advocate the consumer side of things or not. 

Regards,

Jin Li

loyukfai
Punch Card
Views: 403
Message 5 of 6

@lead_org wrote:

But i guess that leaves open to interpretation, whether or not you get the warranty coverage depends on whether the person you speak wants to advocate the consumer side of things or not. 

Thanks. Hopefully I can find the one staff who would advocate the consumer side, soon.

The Outlet told me to contact the local support. The local support told me to contact the US support......

Views: 394
Message 6 of 6

neither wants to touch this contentious issue, which is understandable, as no one wants to make a mistake on this.
Regards,

Jin Li

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors