Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA1987
Paper Tape
Views: 390
Message 1 of 4

Warranty and its extension

I have a question related to the warranty.

First I will provide some background information:

I bought a laptop from Lenovo in The Netherlands (ThinkPad T450). Since then, I had three separate hardware repairs within the original warranty (please note that the laptop is still within this warranty). First, the entire keyboard was replaced. Second, the entire screen was replaced. Third, the motherboard and wireless modul were replaced. All repairs were done in The Netherlands. Some companies would offer a new laptop after three separate hardware repairs. Alternatively, they would return the money. But, this is not the case with Lenovo. At least according to my experience.

I was in contact with Lenovo employee over the e-mail (for privacy reasons I will not write the name of the employee here), and I told him that I would like to get a new warranty on the entire device since my motherboard was replaced. Lenovo employee was in contact with Lenovo legal department in The Netherlands, and the employee told me that Lenovo only needs to extend my warranty on the entire device for 6 months since an important part was replaced. Now instead of 3 years (this was my original warranty) I have 3 years and 6 months. This was my first win.

Problem and question:

Since the employee did not know that my screen was also replaced, I asked for additional 6 months to extend my warrant to 4 years in total. I guess that at this point, the employee was cornered and did not know what to do. The problem is that after this request, I did not get any reply from Lenovo whatsoever.

Does anyone know what can I do with respect to this? Who can I contact to get these additional 6 months? Also, I am wondering why the extension was not granted automatically after each major repair, especially if I am entitled to such extension according to Legal department of Lenovo?

In conclusion, I think that it is very hard to reach Lenovo, especially if you prefer to have a written trace. In addition to this, support is barely existing. I think that due to all of this, this will be my last product from Lenovo.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 286
Message 2 of 4

Re: Warranty and its extension

Hello and welcome to the Community,

It looks to me that your warranty will have been extended by 6 months on a good will basis, after the motherboard replacement, and in such cases the full repair history is taken into account when offering to extend a warranty.

If you do wish to extend your warranty you can do so through the support site, after checking the current status by entering your serial number on the Warranty Lookup site you will see an option to upgrade.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

BA1987
Paper Tape
Views: 263
Message 3 of 4

This may be the case. But it is highly unlikely. According to your legal department, it is required to extend the warranty by 6 months in The Netherlands if an important part is replaced.

I am from Croatia and I am currently in Croaita. According to the Croatian law, more specifically "Zakon o obveznim odnosima", "Članak 425", "Stavak 2", a new warranty should be given if important part of a device is replaced or repaired. You can access the law here:

To make it even easier, I will copy-paste the law below:

"""
Produljenje jamstvenog roka

Članak 425.

(1) U slučaju manjeg popravka jamstveni rok se produljuje onoliko koliko je kupac bio lišen uporabe stvari.

(2) Međutim, kad je zbog neispravnosti stvari izvršena njezina zamjena ili njezin bitni popravak, jamstveni rok počinje teći ponovno od zamjene, odnosno od vraćanja popravljene stvari.

(3) Ako je zamijenjen ili bitno popravljen samo neki dio stvari, jamstveni rok počinje teći ponovno samo za taj dio.
"""

Consequently, I feel that Lenovo acts above the law, and Lenovo should act according to law, which is not the case, at least when it comes to me. I also hope that after this clarification, you will not think that something was done based on a good will. I feel that Lenovo did not give me the warranty to which I am entitled according to law.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 196
Message 4 of 4

The Community isn't a platform where we are going to hold detailed discussions on the laws surrounding an individual purchase. I'm going to ask someone from our Customer Relations Team to contact you on the email address you registered in your Community profile.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors