Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Views: 1563
  • Message 11 of 25

Re: Warranty change taking months with Lenovo

2008-10-11, 5:58 AM
Thank you, wjli2.

I'm not sure what do you mean under "most basic warranty service" (depot service) and would it cover my needs (perhaps it would). However I was told from Lenovo's Europe representative, that with my USA purchased machine I'm not eligible for any kind of warranty service, basic or extended.

But from the other side, it seems, that wojciech_czyz (the original author of this thread) was however able to move his TP's warranty localization. At least Mark_Lenovo has not answered this thing to be impossible, but promised to clarify the problem. Don't know what to think (and to do).
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Views: 50408
  • Message 12 of 25

2008-10-11, 6:24 AM

It really depends on the model number of your machine, each model have different IWS coverage.... you can check whether your laptop is covered in Estonia using your model number.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LOOK-IWS#sw

Options

59 Posts

12-03-2007

Spain, Madrid

64 Signins

748 Page Views

• Views: 748
  • Message 13 of 25

Re: Warrany change taking months with Lenovo

2008-10-11, 16:36 PM

Hello,

Mark_Lenovo helped in my case and indeed they extended my waranty to work in Europe. If I had not expressed it on this page before, I am very grateful for this. They also let me know that it was exceptional case, I really hope they could do it for more buyers trapped in "non International Warranty" of Lenovo.

Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Message 14 of 25

2008-10-11, 19:01 PM

wrote:

It really depends on the model number of your machine, each model have different IWS coverage.... you can check whether your laptop is covered in Estonia using your model number.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=LOOK-IWS#sw

It is not a question, if my TP is covered by warranty in Estonia or not: I've got an answer already by now. My question is what can I do in this situation? Is the only way indeed to throw my machine out and to buy a new one?

I would even agree to purchase a new "international" warranty for full extra charge, but nobody could tell me surely, if it is possible and in which way.

If I had only been able to imagine before buying, that such jokes are possible! The professional seller whom I've bought this machine from was absolutely sure as well, that "international" warranty certainly covers the whole world. I dare to say, that IBM/Lenovo marketing department's trick to use the term "international warranty" in the meaning of "regional warranty" is really misleading, isn't it?
Message Edited by leopoldus on 10-11-2008 01:24 PM
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23525 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 15 of 25

2008-10-11, 19:14 PM

leopoldus wrote:

I would even agree to purchase a new "international" warranty for full extra charge, but nobody could tell me surely, if it is possible and in which way.

It's not possible.  The system either comes with the coverage or doesn't come with the coverage, and there's no upgrade to it.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Message 16 of 25

2008-10-12, 1:19 AM

As i have said Lenovo use IBM Thinkpad international warranty from the past. Lenovo have no way told you that International warranty means warranty coverage in every country in the world. Your professional seller told you that Estonia are covered under warranty for your laptop, unless Lenovo expressly told your seller that Estonia are covered, then this matter is between you and him. 

Seiko watch company have also used this international warranty regarding watch repairs and such.... 

When Thinkpads first came out, the word 'international' had a lot different meanings to fortune 500 companies then today. World geography have changed a lot since the collapse of the old Soviet. 

Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Message 17 of 25

2008-10-13, 16:13 PM

wrote:

As i have said Lenovo use IBM Thinkpad international warranty from the past. Lenovo have no way told you that International warranty means warranty coverage in every country in the world. Your professional seller told you that Estonia are covered under warranty for your laptop, unless Lenovo expressly told your seller that Estonia are covered, then this matter is between you and him. 

Rather not. I've checked it at 3 (three!!) notebooks professional sellers (two in USA and one in Germany), no one of them was acknowledged of this IBM/Lenovo's trick with non-international "international" warranty. Yes, Lenovo (hopefully) had not directly declared, that my machine’s warranty will be valid in Europe. However Lenovo had not warned us (even at its own site) directly, that it used the words "international warranty” in the special meaning, which differed from the common meaning of this term.  I think this default should be treated as a fraud.

Once more, I would have not bought this Lenovo machine, but rather Toshiba or Asus (or any other brand) with similar parameters if I had only known about this warranty trick.

Well, this all is only commonplace. Actually I'd be really grateful for explanation, if was correct the Lenovo's local support's advice to throw my notebook out and buy a new one as the only way to exchange / restore / purchase the warranty.

BTW, if it rally so, I don't understand, how it is possible to sell notebooks in the modern world under such warranty conditions. Say if I live a half of year in USA and the other half in Germany, have I to decide every time before purchasing a Lenovo's notebook, in which of my two places of residence the machine will be covered with warranty and in which it will not?

Message Edited by leopoldus on 10-14-2008 02:52 AM
Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 18 of 25

2008-10-13, 22:36 PM

@leopoldus:

Let's get one thing straight: what is the model number of your T60p? Then we can take it from there, and see who's right, who's wrong and what you are entitled to regarding IWS.

I'm aware of the cases where local IBM/Lenovo reps claimed ignorance and refused IWS to deserving machines, and had to be "pulled by the ear" to do the right thing.

IWS is NOT a fraud. I've sold numerous ThinkPads anywhere from Finland to Czech Republic to Russia to Israel (to name just a few countries), and IWS was honoured. At times, it was a smooth sailing. In others it was not. But the bottom line is that the machines that were entitled to IWS in the first place eventually got serviced, and properly so.

Looking forward to assisting you with this matter to the best of my abilities as a non-employee of Lenovo.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

3290 Posts

02-17-2008

Australia

1962 Signins

50408 Page Views

• Message 19 of 25

2008-10-13, 23:51 PM

I can't say Lenovo's IWS system are efficient, but a vestige of the past when IBM owned it. And in many ways Lenovo should make information more widely available to the public regarding what is available under IWS for each laptop.

Mark_Lenovo on this forum is trying to gather information regarding how to improve IWS coverage and information availability.

Options

38 Posts

08-02-2008

Estonia

297 Signins

1563 Page Views

• Message 20 of 25

2008-10-14, 11:10 AM

wrote:

Let's get one thing straight: what is the model number of your T60p? Then we can take it from there, and see who's right, who's wrong and what you are entitled to regarding IWS.

I'm aware of the cases where local IBM/Lenovo reps claimed ignorance and refused IWS to deserving machines, and had to be "pulled by the ear" to do the right thing.

Actually when this problem had come up the first thing I did was to check my model type 2623 at the Lenovo's IWS engine. I remember, that there were countries of Western hemisphere (USA, Canada, Argentina etc) and Asia in the list, but not any of Europe.
But when I've rechecked the matter just now, it was shocking to see, that in meanwhile Lenovo has added all Europe countries to the list. So my machine gets a real world-wide international warranty! Thank you very much for good advice!

However it would be important to know, if this renew is only occasional or should it reflect some general changes in Lenovo's warranty policy (may be as a result of our discussion in this thread; well, it's a joke). It would be fine to know in advance which surprises with IWS will (or wil not) wait me if I buy my next Thinkpad.

P.S.

Have you some site to see, which Thinkpads do you offer? I'm afraid, that my TP 60 is rather obsolescent, so I think about purchasing something newer (of course in the event, that Lenovo's warranty politics has really changed).
Message Edited by leopoldus on 10-14-2008 04:34 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms