Options

20 Posts

05-28-2020

US

14 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 1 of 9

Whether I should ask for an exchange? More than 20 dark points on my new Thinkpad.

2020-06-17, 7:45 AM

Hi, everyone! 

I just received my new X1 Extreme Gen 2 unit with a 4K screen. I opened the package to check, and found there is a quality problem on the screen. There are about more than twenty dark points near the middle area of the screen, which are very obvious on any page. I also closed the laptop to see whether it’s dirt on the screen, but it’s not. So I post here to ask for suggestions. I didn’t connect to the internet and didn’t activate Windows now.

The photos of these dark points are as follows. They are not dead points (not pure dark), but always darker than the points around, which are speciously obvious on some pages with light color. The dark points are on the mouse tag as follows. 

Thanks!  

Solved! See the solution
Options

1898 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9834 Signins

164732 Page Views

• Views: 164732
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:Whether I should ask for an exchange? More than 20 dark points on my new Thinkpad.

2020-06-17, 13:27 PM

If it was me I would ask for an exchange.  I dont for for Lenovo and I don't speak for Lenovo.  I am a consumer just like you.  If you dont ask for a exchange now and change your mind later support may consider this damage caused by you and wont repair it unless you bought ADP coverage.  Also are sure they are not just dirt smudges?

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

20 Posts

05-28-2020

US

14 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

Re:Whether I should ask for an exchange? More than 20 dark points on my new Thinkpad.

2020-06-18, 3:00 AM

@ green5178 wrote:

If it was me I would ask for an exchange.  I dont for for Lenovo and I don't speak for Lenovo.  I am a consumer just like you.  If you dont ask for a exchange now and change your mind later support may consider this damage caused by you and wont repair it unless you bought ADP coverage.  Also are sure they are not just dirt smudges?

Hi, green5178. Thank you very much!

Yes, if I don't ask for an exchange and register the Windows now, they won't exchange it for me later. But this "blot" is not that big, it's just as small as mouse tip, and very light gray. It won't influence the normal use, but I'm afraid the blot will increase its size in the future. I don't have much experience with the laptop screen blots, so post here to ask whether it's worthy of requesting an exchange.

It looks like dirt smudges, but when I clean the screen, it doesn't disappear. After closing the screen, there is no dirt smudge there.

Thanks! 

Options

1898 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9834 Signins

164732 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2020-06-18, 12:48 PM

@ SeanLau wrote:

@ green5178 wrote:

Hi, green5178. Thank you very much!

Yes, if I don't ask for an exchange and register the Windows now, they won't exchange it for me later. But this "blot" is not that big, it's just as small as mouse tip, and very light gray. It won't influence the normal use, but I'm afraid the blot will increase its size in the future. I don't have much experience with the laptop screen blots, so post here to ask whether it's worthy of requesting an exchange.

It looks like dirt smudges, but when I clean the screen, it doesn't disappear. After closing the screen, there is no dirt smudge there.

Thanks! 

I would still ask for an exchange.  If you already notice now I think day in day out you will continue to notice it.  Maybe a month from now it will irritate you enough to call support especially if it gets worse and then support says you caused the damage then you will say it came that way.....unless you took ADP they will not fix it.   This is true whether its Lenovo or another company in my experience.  People will "fix" it when they have time thinking its no big deal and then get mad when they cant get it fixed because its been 6 months or longer.  It happened to me on my IBM A30P.  There was a misaligned usb port when I got the laptop.  I thought I could just get it fixed later since it had back then a 3 year warranty and everything worked plus I needed the laptop and didnt want to wait 2-4 weeks for exchange.  IBM support when i finally called in 2 months later said I dropped laptop saying only way a port could be misaligned would be if i dropped it.  I argued it came that what and how could I drop laptop where there is not a single scratch/ding on laptop and cause only the usb port to be misaligned and its not loose?  Just my 2 cents....

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Options

20 Posts

05-28-2020

US

14 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2020-06-19, 12:41 PM
Hi, green5178. Thank you very much! I will try to contact Lenovo and see whether they could like to exchange it. Because this flaw is slightly darker than the points around, I'm not sure Lenovo will consider it as a quality problem. Do you think the flaw in the photo can be considered as a flaw? Thanks!
Options

1898 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9834 Signins

164732 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2020-06-19, 13:38 PM

I dont speak for Lenovo.  The best thing to do is call and ask.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

20 Posts

05-28-2020

US

14 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2020-06-22, 2:48 AM
OK! Thanks!
Options

20 Posts

05-28-2020

US

14 Signins

155 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2020-07-02, 13:20 PM

@ green5178 wrote:

Hi, green5178. Thank you very much! I called the engineer to come. After checking, they found it's a dust inside the screen, and they will replace one for me. It will take 2~3 weeks. Thanks a lot! 

Options

1898 Posts

07-22-2010

US

9834 Signins

164732 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2020-07-02, 13:50 PM

@ SeanLau wrote:

@ green5178 wrote:

Hi, green5178. Thank you very much! I called the engineer to come. After checking, they found it's a dust inside the screen, and they will replace one for me. It will take 2~3 weeks. Thanks a lot! 

Glad it worked out for you!

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete