Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-24-2008

Louisville KY

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 119

Why is shipping @ Lenovo so slow and disorganized???

2008-03-26, 13:18 PM
I just wanted to relate a story about a purchase I tried to make thru the Lenovo Site.

We needed a new portable workstation for off site programming for one of our service techs. I had heard good things about the new Lenovo computers and I wanted to give them a try after years of buying Dell products for my business. I found a unit on the outlet, a system that was supposedly a built unit that was cancelled before shipment. Great that will be on the shelf no wait I guessed. I placed the order and was told by the site that an email would follow. That was on a Thursday, the next monday I had heard nothing from Lenovo so I called they said that the order was not processed yet to the point that the sales staff could help. I was told that it takes a couple of business days to get the order into their system. A couple of days go by and I finally get an email with a estimated shipping date 2 weeks away. WTF? So I call and they assure me that this is normal and they will ship on the date it says, I can't get any info regarding why is is taking so long, or a concrete ship date. Tech needs new computer like yesterday.Im frustrated but I wait the first week and call back to check the status on monday the following week as the web site gives no info. I am told that the ship date has been moved back another week. Ok that is enuff.. I cancel the items and go to a big name PC and Mac connection and place an order as soon as I get off the phone with Lenovo "New Delhi location". Now here is where it gets good I find the same exact laptop with more RAM for the same price, and this one is new with the full warranty not a refurbished unit. It gets better I placed the order at 1:00 PM on Monday the unit was delivered today at 9:00 AM the following Wednesday.

Now with all that said......

Why is the sales database not live?
Why is the estimated shipping wrong on a prebuilt unit?
Why does it take 72+ hours for one computer to transfer my order to another? especially because this is a "world class" computer company. Where is the Intranet?
Why is no one able to tell me what the status of my order other than its not ready yet?
Why was my card charged three weeks before the unit was scheduled to ship? It was removed when I called and explained that Im not paying for any products that aren't shipped.
Why is the phone staff either unwilling or unable to help?

The other supplier was able to give me a ship date and tracking info at the time of sale, and it was right.

Now here is my personal favorite part. When I cancelled the order with Lenovo they said I would receive an email stating the status of the order was cancelled. This was several hours before I placed the new order with another supplier. This was suppose to be with in the next 24 hours. I received my complete order for the other supplier and I have yet to receive an new info from Lenovo.

This is no way to run an E business site. As some one who provides computer programming to enterprise level companies this system needs some major overhaul work. This is suppose to save customers time and provide better info than an traditional phone ordering system, but from what I have witnessed that is far from the case. Heres to hoping that this isnt a sign of things to come with this unit, I really hope this is worth all the trouble.

PS I received a free laptop case also with my new purchase.
Options

124 Posts

03-25-2008

Citrus Heights, California

64 Signins

1858 Page Views

• Views: 1858
  • Message 2 of 119

Re: Why is shipping @ Lenovo so slow and disorganized???

2008-03-26, 23:55 PM
I cant say much about this situation. I ordered mine from a vendor called Newegg and got it 2 days tops.
Proud supporter of the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey Club
Options

3 Posts

03-28-2008

Pittsburgh, PA

5 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 3 of 119

2008-03-28, 9:07 AM
I really do agree with you Bluegrass. I chose a Lenovo because i wanted to try out something other than a dell. Though I heard horror stories from 2007, I was optimistic that 2008 and especially March-April 2008, which is certainly not holiday season, would be much different. It is amazing how optimistic one gets when all excited about the product.

I just ordered a R61 on March 26, have been given a ship date of April 14. This is by itself unacceptable - for example when I ordered a custom configured Dell Latitude back in January it shipped four calendar days after I placed my order - I ordered on Jan 13th, and they shippped in out Jan 17th! Now this is bit late for my needs - however I could possibly live with it if Lenovo will reliably ship out on or before that date. Based on what I am reading in many forums, that seems unlikely to happen.

A docking station I ordered with the laptop shippped today. I am not going to accept that part of the shipment and will send it back. I will also wait a couple of days, order a dell and cancel the lenovo if I dont get a better ship date estimate.

Too bad about all this - this is such a great example of why a great product by itself is not sufficient - they really need to get their act together.

Message Edited by dgoud on 04-01-2008 06:07 PM

Message Edited by dgoud on 04-01-2008 06:09 PM
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 4 of 119

2008-03-28, 22:11 PM
dgoud,

I appreciate your angst on the matter.   However, it's only been 3 days since you ordered and sending back the dock without knowing whether you date can be improved to meet your expectations seems like it might create a bit of churn, and subject you to restocking fees on the dock unnecessarily...  I'd like to help.

How about this, can you send me a PM with your order number and let me see on Monday if I can provide you with a more definitive date?

In terms of what you have read online, I would also suggest separating the Canadian order experiences from the US experiences.   Last summer June-August, the US experienced some delays on T61 systems, and discussion about that certainly filled the forums, but it was all resolved, and things have generally been running pretty well as a whole since.   Earlier this year, the Canadian ordering system went through some changes, and there has been a lot of discussion online about it.  Cycle times have been weeks, and in the first part of the year were really quite long for some customers, but are definitively improving now. 

In the US, the system provides Estimated Ship Dates based on default component lead times.  Often these provide a rather conservative / pessimistic view, and I can understand your apprehension concerning a mid April delivery.  

But let's see if we can resolve this.

All,

I think it's fine to have general discussion here on shipping experiences, but I might suggest that if someone has specific order concerns or experiences that they post to the dedicated shipping threads present in each of the boards.  

Options

3 Posts

03-28-2008

Pittsburgh, PA

5 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 5 of 119

2008-04-02, 1:17 AM
Mark, sorry I didnt see your response till now. Unfortunately this episode with Lenovo has taken in my view an unreasonably difficult turn. When I contacted Lenovo to cancel the order I was told through the system that the sales number was closed over the weekend. I called again monday morning and was told it had already shipped.. and that I would be charged restocking anyways.

Compare all this with a dell experience a few months ago - they were very reasonable with their customer service and accepted a return AFTER their stated return timelines at no cost to me. I do have the need for several laptops in a year - and this was the first time I tried Lenovo.

I am just a little amazed by how poor the customer service really is. None of the CSRs or even their supervisors seem to have the power to do anything. Lenovo actually shipped the product out 16 days before their stated shipping date - yet came across as uncaring, aggressive and only interested in my money.
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Message 6 of 119

2008-04-02, 1:29 AM
dgoud,

I apologize that you were made to feel as though our representatives were indifferent or uncaring.  Could you clarify for me, that the dock shipped, and now your system has shipped?  Or only the dock?  If only the dock, I'd still like to try to help with your system.  Can you send me a PM with your order number?

I think your original objective was to have everything in your hands by mid April.  If that could be accomplished, what could we do to restore your confidence?

Thanks!
Options

3 Posts

03-28-2008

Pittsburgh, PA

5 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 7 of 119

2008-04-02, 1:37 AM
Mark,

I ordered two Lenovo laptops - one R61 and one T61. Both seem to have shipped out 16 days before their expected ship date. I am overjoyed that they did. However as I need to run my business I went ahead and made alternate arrangements to procure another non-lenovo laptop locally over the weekend.

Now my objective is to cancel one Lenovo laptop of the two I ordered. I hope Lenovo's objective should be to retain me as a customer, as I have never ordered before and I am certainly not a serial returner, etc.

What I want is to return one of the laptops - unopened to Lenovo. I can even pay a nominal shipping charge if they so desire. If Lenovo is reasonable about this I would like to keep the other laptop. If they demonstrate no interest in keeping me happy, I do feel that I cannot depend on them - and that the three year warranty I ordered for instance would be useless if they were only interested in minimizing their costs. In that scenario I would just return all lenovo equipment - and never do business with them again.

So what I would like is to return one laptop without being charged a $200 restocking fee. I am fine with shipping the laptop back on my own cost if that is what it takes. I could provide further details in a PM if you so desire.
Options

3 Posts

03-24-2008

Louisville KY

4 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 8 of 119

2008-04-02, 12:33 PM
Mark,

I looked for a shipping or Lenovo web site threads but didnt see one. If it is there sorry about starting a new thread. Why are you all over Dgouds issue but all I get is a you should have posted in a different area, I am the one who started  the thread. By the way I have my new Lenovo laptop but to get it I had to call PC Connection. Those guys rule, they will be my first stop in the future. Thanks Lenovo forum for the same thing i got from your e site NOTHING.......

A very unhappy excustomer...........
Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 9 of 119

2008-04-02, 13:08 PM
Bluegrass wrote:

I looked for a shipping or Lenovo web site threads but didnt see one. If it is there sorry about starting a new thread. Why are you all over Dgouds issue but all I get is a you should have posted in a different area, I am the one who started  the thread. By the way I have my new Lenovo laptop but to get it I had to call PC Connection. Those guys rule, they will be my first stop in the future. Thanks Lenovo forum for the same thing i got from your e site NOTHING.......

There are stickies for shipping discussions in each one of the different model's boards here.  You don't mention which model you purchased, so I can't direct you to the particular one for yours.

I can't speak for Mark, but my reading was that your message was a general description of an disappointing order experience and not a request for help since you already have your notebook from PC Connection.  Is that not true?  Is there a specific question?

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Message 10 of 119

2008-04-02, 14:59 PM
Bluegrass,

Sorry of the omission and leaving you to feel left out.  I can't personally respond to every post in this forum - that's not the point of it.  I scanned your post, and it appeared to me you had come to the end of your experience and were reflecting back on the journey - noting that compared to purchasing directly from Lenovo, that a particular reseller offered a superior experience.

Thanks for sharing - duly noted.  Our communication seems an area where we can improve.

I responded to dgoud because I felt his situation was in progress and that there was an opportunity to alter it's trajectory in a positive way.   In his case, our communications issues  appear to have affected his course adversely even though we actually shipped within a reasonable period of time.

Again, no slight intended.  

The shipping threads are floated to the top of the Thinkpad boards.   IdeaPads are presently sold through retail only, and the 3000 products are sold through a mix of retail and tele/web.  I have not seen any significant discussion of delayed 3000 customers, so there is no shipping discussion threads there.

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 04-02-2008 08:00 AM
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms