Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Special Interest DiscussionsGeneral Discussion
All Forum Topics
Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Views: 7583
  • Message 11 of 31

Re: Why no White Model of Lenevo?

2014-03-06, 2:35 AM
All your links are about heat absorption. I don't see how heat absorption is relevant for a laptop scenario unless the laptop sat outside in direct sunlight for long periods of time.

For a laptop, I think we should be more concerned about heat generated inside (e.g. by the CPU) getting radiated out into the environment. For that, I think the physics of it are quite complex, but generally black is better. You stated black "keep heat" better than white which I still don't think is true.

In any case, none of this is likely the reason Lenovo doesn't offer white at the moment. The obvious answer is Lenovo does not think offering white is a prudent financial decision at the present time.
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 12 of 31

2014-03-06, 6:22 AM
i think the point here is that Lenovo right now do not see a white model as a good selling point. This may change in the future.

Also, if you use a thermal imaging camera, a white coloured and black coloured laptop would emit thermal radiation equally well unless there is direct sunlight on the laptop. I don't think something is going to run the laptop under direct sunlight with the lid shut.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

16 Posts

03-05-2014

France

42 Signins

269 Page Views

• Views: 269
  • Message 13 of 31

2014-03-06, 20:23 PM
"All your links are about heat absorption."
This is what we are talking about aren't we?
Black absrop and keep heat more than white. Inside also you have light.
Whatever the heat source, black color absorbs and keep heat more than white color.
If Lenovo does not offer whiite laptops I can find at other PC makers.
Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Message 14 of 31

2014-03-06, 23:16 PM

wrote:
"All your links are about heat absorption."
This is what we are talking about aren't we?
Black absrop and keep heat more than white. Inside also you have light.
Whatever the heat source, black color absorbs and keep heat more than white color.
If Lenovo does not offer whiite laptops I can find at other PC makers.

Heat is coming from inside the laptop. Are you suggesting you want white interior surfaces to reflect the heat generated inside the laptop back into the laptop? That doesn't make sense to me. I would think you would prefer the heat generated internally to be conducted away and radiated into the environment - so the question is, which radiates heat better: black or white? I think there are a lot of variables but black might be better at radiating heat based on my reading. You disagree on the physics of it and provided links about absorption. Absorption and radiation are different though. In any case, I think we've jumped the shark on this discussion since heat isn't really relevent to Lenovo's decision here :-)

Options

16 Posts

03-05-2014

France

42 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 15 of 31

2014-03-07, 10:44 AM

Heat is a consequence of light. And, black colors heats faster, whatever the source of heat; interior or exterior, from right or from left. Once you agree about the physical property. This is simple. If you are not convinced that black color absrobs more heat than white, I cannot argue more. 

What do you mean by radiate better? Either color radiate in the same way in the same conditions but black will heat faster for the reason explained in the links.

Did you read the information in some links above?

Please re-read them once more and you will see that white objects heat slower than black ones.

This is why people living in hot regions wear white clothes (to heat less).

Options

145 Posts

03-11-2012

dc

3733 Signins

7583 Page Views

• Message 16 of 31

2014-03-07, 15:03 PM

wrote:

If you are not convinced that black color absrobs more heat than white, I cannot argue more. 

What do you mean by radiate better? Either color radiate in the same way in the same conditions but black will heat faster for the reason explained in the links....

This is why people living in hot regions wear white clothes (to heat less).

We are not talking about laptops used outside where they are heated by sunlight. I've already said under those conditions, I agree white would reflect more of the incoming light and therefore absorb less energy and stay cooler. That's not how 99.9% of laptops are used though. The interesting case is use indoors, where the light will not be a significant source of the heat.

In this case, the important source of heat is internal to the laptop. So let's say we have two identical laptops, one painted white on the outside and one painted black. Which will run cooler? I say this is a very complex scenario with a lot of variables. If your white paint is a heat barrier, absorbing and radiating heat slowly, that means the heat coming from the interior of the laptop will stay inside the laptop...not good. If, as you say, black would gain heat more quickly, that's good here since it would gain heat from the interior surface and release/lose/radiate that heat into the air, away from the laptop. Generally, things that gain heat quickly also lose that heat quickly (formalized in Kirchhoff's law).

I'm not a physicist, so I need to stop this discussion now. I also think we are in danger of having the moderators shut us down since we wandered off topic a bit.

On a personal note, I did not like the last white laptop I owned, it ran hot and looked dirty all time. The plastic discolored slightly and it was really visible, no way to clean it to make it look good (I assumed the discoloration was just from normal heating/cooling for a few years). That was a while ago though, so perhaps a more modern one would be better.

Options

16 Posts

03-05-2014

France

42 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 17 of 31

2014-03-08, 3:04 AM

Grisjuan,

The heat source does not much matter. Inside or outside, the physical properties would change very slightly in regard to heat absorption/emission. 

The bad experience you have had with your white laptop does not necessarily mean that white color was the culprit. But maybe the bad quality of the material used, or maybe "insufficent care or maintenance" from your side ;-) (which would happen to me as well). 

We often are "crazy" to clean laptop frequently. But, saying that black color does not get dirty is misleading. You simply do not see it.

After all, it could be purely a personal preference. Personally, I find white color more confortable to work with than black or any other color... 

Just think about the following simple example:

During the "DAY", we can see a "BLACK" object MUCH EASIER than a "WHITE" object in "DARK".

The same goes for black and white keyboards in regard to letters and characters printed on: 

The WHITE keyboard is the "DAY", and the "LETTERS" are the "BLACK OBJECT" that we can see easily.

The opposite for black keyboards. 

Do you get the idea from this example? 

This is why I will buy ONLY white laptops , from now and upI have a black laptop now but I am seeking to replace it by a white color.

I particularly like the color of some Toshiba white models, but their characteristics still keep me away.  

My wish was to find Lenovo or HP WHITE models but neither constructor commercializes such models, so far anyway (I do not know why!).

So, I may have to wait a little bit before finding the right laptop color/model, or I'd give up and opt for Toshiba White! 

Options

1470 Posts

06-08-2013

Spain

2014 Signins

20133 Page Views

• Views: 20133
  • Message 18 of 31

2014-03-10, 15:27 PM

I know some people have been spraying their ThinkPads or IdeaPads into a different color. As lead_org suggested, white gets dirtier faster and is not recommended.

Kind regards,

Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider, Windows Insider MVP

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Looking to buy a Lenovo machine? Find your country

Belgium | Canada | Finland | France | Germany | Netherlands | Sweden | U.K. | U.S.A.

Options

16 Posts

03-05-2014

France

42 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 19 of 31

2014-03-12, 22:38 PM
Did you read the posts above about the "dirtiness"?
Please read them, once more.

Regards
Options

16 Posts

03-05-2014

France

42 Signins

269 Page Views

• Message 20 of 31

All laptops MUST be 360° feature!

2014-04-21, 12:24 PM

Hi,

I would emphasize a previous post of mine about the Yoga model of Lenovo!

More and more I appreciate the feature of 360° degree (Yoga models) as it helps reducing PC heating; because when the PC heats in its normal position, one can turn it and continue to work! The air will pass between the screen and keyboard reducing any overheating!

In my view, this is a fantastic characteristic that all PC MUST have such a feature to reduce the overheating of the PC.

However, I still insist on the WHITE color, too, which would also helps to reduce overuheating.

Those who will say that White color gets dirty, this is NOT true at all.

With white color, we will see any dirtiness and we clean it as soon as it accumulates! Doing so, the machine will stay as clean as possible for long time.

Those who do not want to clean their PC, this is their own problem but not the problem of the White Color. If someone does not want to clean his things, this is his own problem!

On other hand, black PC will accumulate dirtiness overtime without user realize about that, and the accumulated dirtiness would damage the machine overtime.

In summary: Yoga Models with white color would be the ideal PC ever seen in my opinion, because they offer major advantages over other color or characteristics!  

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms