Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team

Community Spotlight

Visit the Community Blog

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Reply
Punch Card
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎04-17-2010
Location: California
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Refund

A good way to think about it, and to avoid all the hassle of getting a refund, is that you have the right in the future to use Windows on your laptop.  You never know when it might become handy because Wine or Virtual Box won't cut it.  If time is money, then it is probably worth not bothering :-)

 

Anyway, good luck on these refunds.  I already have a copy of Windows 7 that I could have installed on my ThinkPad but I figure having a non-OEM license will be useful.  I can understand the desire for a refund if you're absolutely certain you'll never use the OEM license.  

Punch Card
Posts: 29
Registered: ‎05-14-2010
Location: France
0 Kudos

How to return Seven?

Hello,

 

I've just bought another Lenovo. The one I already got mostly runs a Fedora, Vista sleeps on a partition, since I bought it.

 

Next week I'll get a U350. How could I return Seven licence as I'll never use it? Is there a known process within Europe/France?

 

Best regards

Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-26-2010
Location: Brazil

Re: Lack of options


lead_org wrote:

 

There is hardly any companies that sell laptops without OS, unless you order through the corporate channel. This is the market reality. Also, Lenovo won't charge you hundreds of dollars for these OS, as these OS are not retail version but are OEM version, the profit level on these OS options are minimal. 

 

You are already seeing the future, Microsoft OS will be on your laptops whether you like it or not. Just like Macbook/Pro is going to be bundled with Mac OS whether people like it or not. 

 

 


 

1- It costed me over a hundred dollars.

2- Cheap or expensive, I don't want to pay for something I won't use anyway.

3- Windows might be your future, but it is not mine.

4- No, it won't be in my laptop. It isn't right now and I got my money back.

5- Even if I was a Windows user, I would get my refund anyway. OEM sucks.

6- Do a Google search and you will see a lot of people around the world are denying the "future" that was forced into their computers.

Posts: 20,898
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344
Registered: ‎12-19-2008
Location: Australia, Melbourne
0 Kudos

Re: Lack of options

 


ottoteixeira wrote:

lead_org wrote:

 

There is hardly any companies that sell laptops without OS, unless you order through the corporate channel. This is the market reality. Also, Lenovo won't charge you hundreds of dollars for these OS, as these OS are not retail version but are OEM version, the profit level on these OS options are minimal. 

 

You are already seeing the future, Microsoft OS will be on your laptops whether you like it or not. Just like Macbook/Pro is going to be bundled with Mac OS whether people like it or not. 

 

 


 

1- It costed me over a hundred dollars.

2- Cheap or expensive, I don't want to pay for something I won't use anyway.

3- Windows might be your future, but it is not mine.

4- No, it won't be in my laptop. It isn't right now and I got my money back.

5- Even if I was a Windows user, I would get my refund anyway. OEM sucks.

6- Do a Google search and you will see a lot of people around the world are denying the "future" that was forced into their computers.


 

Well you are not locked into any contract, so you may choose to purchase a machine that fits your need. If bundling of windows with a laptop is unacceptable to you, then you can always find another make/model that does not bundle the Windows OS.

 

Yes google search does bring up a lot of things, including torrent links to bootleg copies of windows, which many people do download and use extensively. Whether using a free copy of windows make it Win OS more palatable is quite debatable. 

 

I don't see the issue with OEM Windows, since the serial number on post-XP can be transferred between OEM and non-OEM machines. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-26-2010
Location: Brazil
0 Kudos

Re: Lack of options

Yeah, but, well, I wanted THAT model. Luckily I was able to get it and then be refunded for the OS.

 

I don't think you can transfer a OEM license to non-OEM. In fact I've never heard about it. If that is true, then why is it cheaper if I can use it as non-OEM? OEM would have no purpose I guess.

Posts: 20,898
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344
Registered: ‎12-19-2008
Location: Australia, Melbourne
0 Kudos

Re: Lack of options

yes you can transfer the serial number between OEM and retail version of the Win OS for post-XP systems. It works on Vista and Win 7, i have personally tried it.

 

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en/vistainstall/thread/5d9a3e4f-9948-4cda-8083-8116407a8c...

 

 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community Moderator
Posts: 13,431
Registered: ‎12-07-2009
Location: Česká Republika
0 Kudos

Re: How to return Seven?

[ Edited ]

you can buy the lenovo with freedos or linux based( non- operation system installed ) if you can find, otherwise even if you use or not, you have to buy the licence.


http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Punch Card
Posts: 29
Registered: ‎05-14-2010
Location: France
0 Kudos

Re: How to return Seven?

> with freedos or linux based( non- operation system installed )

 

I think such an answer is unacceptable.

 

> if you use or not, you have to buy the licence.

 

But I am looking for a way to return it. The U350 offers I found where only bundeled with Seven.

 

I'll use Linux only on this laptop. Why sould I pay for Seven?

Community Moderator
Posts: 13,431
Registered: ‎12-07-2009
Location: Česká Republika
0 Kudos

Re: How to return Seven?

you shouldn't, but you have no option.

but still, give a shot, and call lenovo or/and microsoft support line.

 

search the web for another laptop free operation system installed

( i've seen on turkish and russian websites, with no operation system installled or linux installed - option )


http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Paper Tape
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎03-26-2010
Location: Brazil
0 Kudos

Re: How to return Seven?

 


Impaire wrote:

Hello,

 

I've just bought another Lenovo. The one I already got mostly runs a Fedora, Vista sleeps on a partition, since I bought it.

 

Next week I'll get a U350. How could I return Seven licence as I'll never use it? Is there a known process within Europe/France?

 

Best regards


There are dozens of reports in the entire world. North and South America, Australia, Europe etc. Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_refund or do a Google search.