Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
umassbound
Paper Tape
Views: 6,680
Message 1 of 19

extended warranty on laptop purchased from outlet

I purchased a T500 from the Lenovo Outlet back in August.

I tried to upgrade to a three year extended warranty, but the order never completed. (It was stuck in a perpetual cycle of "will ship on xx/xx/xxxx", when that date passed the ship date would change to a few days in the future.)

I finally called Lenovo to see what is going on, and they told me that all laptops from the Outlet come with only a 1 year base warranty, and they cannot be extended.

- Is this correct?

It makes no sense in my case, the laptop was new in box and had never been shipped to a customer. And I know some of the laptops advertised on the Outlet list that they have a three year warranty.

- Do I have any other options for getting extended coverage for this laptop?

Thanks.

Former Administrator
Views: 6,673
Message 2 of 19

Re: extended warranty on laptop purchased from outlet

umassbound,

The present stated policy of the outlet team is no additional warranty upgrades on outlet boxes.

There have been upgrades made in the past, and until recently, post warranty maintenance agreements were possible.   I believe the over policies are under review, and I hope they will be finalized soon.

Since you have already purchased an upgrade that has not been properly activated, we need to look into this and ensure a resolution - we can't leave you in limbo.

Please PM me your order numbers, the original outlet purchase, and the service upgrade.

Thanks,

Mark

umassbound
Paper Tape
Views: 6,663
Message 3 of 19

Is this a recent policy change?

I could understand not allowing warranty upgrades for machines that are scratch-n-dent, refurbished, and maybe even redistributed, but new items (which is what I purchased) never left Lenovo's possession, and the boxes are unopened.

At the time I purchased my machine, there were machines that were listed in the outlet as having a three year warranty  (I thought I was buying one, in fact). When I later looked it up I saw it was only one year, so I tried to upgrade.

When I called to see why the order hadn't been filled, the tech was initially puzzled because that model (T500 2055) normally comes with a three year warranty, and he couldn't understand why the warranty lookup was only showing one year.

I just went and looked, and did find a FAQ on the Outlet web site that says all the laptops come with one year warranties, and none of the listings seem to list a longer warranty, but I don't remember seeing that back in August. Maybe it was there...

So I guess I am aggravated about two things:

- why can't I upgrade the warranty on a new machine? Just because it is from the outlet doesn't make it not new.

- why did it take a month and a phone call from me to figure it out? If hadn't called the order would have been in limbo forever.

The second-line rep I talked to canceled the order. If there is anything you can do, let me know,  and I will get you the order numbers.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 6,645
Message 4 of 19

@Mark_Lenovo would that extend to all countries around the world??? Is it possible that you tell us the motivation behind the policy change????

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Highlighted
SuperMod
SuperMod
Views: 6,637
Message 5 of 19

@lead_org wrote:

@Mark_Lenovo would that extend to all countries around the world???

outlet products are currently only available for sale in the US.   therefore, this doesn't affect worldwide markets.

regarding the policy, the boilerplate found on the home page of outlet.lenovo.com reads as follows:

Last chance/ Limited supply details: These models cannot be reordered once they sell out. If we take your order on a product which sells out and the product can not be reordered, (1) Lenovo has the right to refuse or cancel any orders placed for the product, even if Lenovo has confirmed the order and charged your credit card; and (2) if Lenovo has charged your credit card but subsequently canceled your order, Lenovo will promptly issue a credit to your credit card account. All non-new PCs are fully tested to original factory specifications and carry a limited Warranty (1 year).

this should mean that new products sold through the outlet are eligible for warranty extensions.   this is what needs to be investigated.

ThinkStation P700      ThinkPad X1C7

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 6,633
Message 6 of 19

oh good, because i got a T400 from a computer store which has a 3 years express warranty, i was hoping to extend it to 4 or 5 years next month. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 6,626
Message 7 of 19

"outlet products are currently only available for sale in the US. therefore, this doesn't affect worldwide markets."

For the sake of clarity, they are also available in Canada:- http://stores.channeladvisor.com/LenovoOutlet-Canada Smiley Wink
------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

umassbound
Paper Tape
Views: 6,575
Message 8 of 19

> this should mean that new products sold through the outlet are eligible for warranty extensions.

From the Outlet FAQ page:

"Limited Warranty

All outlet PCs carry a limited Warranty (1 year). This Lenovo Limited Warranty applies only to Lenovo hardware products you purchased for your own use and not for resale. This warranty may sometimes be referred to as the “Statement of Limited Warranty ” (SOLW) in other documents from Lenovo. Additional warranties for outlet products are currently not available for purchase. The warranty is voided if item is resold or sold overseas."
I think the blurb on the front means that the refurbs are getting a full one-year as opposed to a 90-day or no warranty at all, but I don't think it implies anything about new computer warranties."

That said, though, I think it is foolish for Lenovo to not sell extended warranties on a new computer just because it is from the outlet. Lenovo is leaving money on the table for products that are no different than what is shipping from the factory every day. In my case - close to $300.

Former Administrator
Views: 6,569
Message 9 of 19

umassbound,

I agree - we seem to be linking to, or excerpting from our standward warranty terms and conditions rather than communicating a unique set of terms and conditions for products sold through the outlet.

I personally agree that not offering upgrades is both a missed opportunity, and a potential customer dis-satisfier.

Your opinions on this matter are helpful, and I appreciate your having shared them here and hope others will take the time to do so as well. 

Best regards,

Mark

Retired Guru
Views: 6,538
Message 10 of 19

I am also disappointed by this policy. I bought a refurbished T500 on 8/12/2009, fully expecting to extend the original warranty another 2 years. Granted I may have not read the fine print on the 'limited warranty' which I should have in retrospect. The bottom line is that I have bought several machines in the past from the Lenovo Outlet and have successfully extended the warranties. If I am no longer able to do that in the future,  there is no reason for me to be an Outlet customer. I don't see why even with a refurb a customer can't extend the warranty based on the original manufacturing date. 

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors