04-22-2008

new york

15 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 1 of 4

how do i get i tax refund?

2008-04-22, 7:41 AM
Hello, i ve ordered a laptop in the USA, and i intend to ship it to outside of the USA, i understood that there is no tax for products that r exported outside of USA, and i get a refund on the airport if i sign a form that "is available in the store".

Since i bought mine on lenovo's website, how do i get this form? (on dell's website there is an option u can mark that u r exporting outside of USA, i cannot find such on lenovo)

Thanks.
Options

40 Posts

02-04-2008

Deland, FL

210 Signins

3337 Page Views

• Views: 3337
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: how do i get i tax refund?

2008-04-22, 15:41 PM
Are you sure about this tax thing? Because my family has been buying electronics in the US for years, and not only we never got any refunds, but we had to pay an additional tax when bringing the stuff into our country (unless it was small things for personal use).
Desktop, Lenovo 3000 K100 57061330
MS Windows Vista
PC Linux OS
Options

1960 Posts

12-02-2007

AU

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-04-22, 22:23 PM

sam1441 wrote:
Hello, i ve ordered a laptop in the USA, and i intend to ship it to outside of the USA, i understood that there is no tax for products that r exported outside of USA, and i get a refund on the airport if i sign a form that "is available in the store".
Sales taxes in the US are collected by each state and the rate varies from state to state, with some states having no sales tax.  If you can get any refund of state sales tax, it would need to be done at the point of departure from the US in that state.

This is different to other jurisdictions where GST/VAT type taxes are levied nationally and so you can usually organise a tax refund on departure from any exit port (or similar).

Whether you have sales tax levied on your purchase at all will depend on where you have it delivered in the US prior to export.   There is often no state sales tax levied when an item is purchased by mail order/phone/internet from a supplier located in a different state to the resident doing the ordering (though this may vary if the supplier has a registered business in the delivery state... it can get complex).

Anyway, its not a straightforward issue and its certainly not just a matter of getting a standard national form, as it is in many other countries.

Good luck.

Bill
------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

11 Posts

04-22-2008

new york

15 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-04-23, 0:11 AM
Thanks a lot!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete