Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phetchy
Paper Tape
Views: 5,211
Message 1 of 2

"Emergency calls only"

Hi, a newbie so I'm not sure this is in the right place - if not, apologies.

I've just bought a new A706 phone.  I'm in Thailand and realise that a lot of IT stuff is not the real thing.  Thats why I went to the Lenovo Thaialnd website and found an authorised dealer to make sure that what I bought was not a fake.  The problem arose after  I'd been using the phone for a few hours - connected to the www, syncd email accounts etc no problem - when without any apparent reason, the screen came up with "Emergency calls only" and a numeric keyboard and won't budge from this screen no matter what I try.  Tried the usual remedies - reboot, different SIM card, etc - to no avail.  I can receive incoming calls but thats it.  Thought I'd try here before I make the trip to the dealer.  Any ideas?  Thanks. 

Highlighted
Cagnor
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,769
Message 2 of 2

Re: "Emergency calls only"

Had a similar experience.  My Lenovo Tablet 2 A7 30HC was bought at a legitimate store and fitted with a SIM card as a bonus to the deal.  The SIM was RICA'd according to local South African law as an anti-crime measure.  Used this card for a week and then fitted the tab with a SIM of my choice.  On the second day there was curious flashing on the screen and I did not realize what happened until later.

The next day the lock screen carried the message "Internet Service Provider" and underneath that "Emergency Call".  Because of the change over, I thought this was ISP related and trampled their threshold flat over the next four days.  Networks and the rest were all checked thoroughtly.  Maybe a compatibility problem between Lenovo and the ISP.  Went back to the store, saw the guru's and got the same diagnosis.  I then bought additional SIM cards, all legal, and tested them in the tab.  Same thing for all of them, so it is not  ISP related.  In other mobiles the responses are normal.

Also got he number of the local Lenovo agent here.  They suggested that I do a firmware update on the Lenovo site.  Before I did a Factory Reset as a conservative remedy, I could do everything except dial my ISP customer care centre and my voice mail.  In both cases I'd be redirected to the Emergency call centre.  I can dial the Customer care centre over my landline, but voice mail over the landline gets me a very garbled message with a chop at the start of it.  The Factory Reset did nothing to remedy anything.

I have Mobile Access for my PC to the internet.  Did a few unthinking things there and picked up problems.  I was advized to insert my Data SIM card into a mobile and create another APN.

In the event that I do that, will I be able to do a direct update from the tab to try solve this?

Any ideas and leads will be much appreciated, thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors