Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo Yoga Series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

23 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

25 Signins

122 Page Views

• Views: 122
  • Message 1 of 17

Windows 8 Recovery Fails to Install on New Blank SSD

2013-03-23, 2:18 AM

I updated the mSSD to another driveI created the obligatory recovery program using the create a recovery function through Windows 8I did this a total of three times thinking I may have done something wrongI created twice including the copying of recovery partition (checked the box) and once without copying the recovery partitionAll three iterations failed to format and install Windows 8 onto the new SSDI get to the screen where it gives the options to refresh or reset the computerI'll click on reset and shortly receive a message that states unable to reset your PCA required drive partition is missing

Is there something I need to do to have this installI also tried pushing the One Key button next to the power button but I don't have any additional options that would help install onto the new drive.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Options

23 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

25 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 2 of 17

Re: Windows 8 Recovery Fails to Install on New Blank SSD

2013-03-24, 7:59 AM

FInally got the recovery image to load onto the harddrive.  I could only accomplish this with BIOS set to Legacy Support.  Why will it not let me install with boot set to UEFI?

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Views: 1287
  • Message 3 of 17

2013-03-24, 10:20 AM

See, this is also what I'm wondering.  In Windows 8, you need the EFI partition and reserve partitions in front of the system partition.  I plan to reinstall a clean version of windows over the existing system partition and am wondering how Windows 8 generated recovery drive (with copied recovery partition) can handle restoring the OEM version over the "clean" install, just in case I'm not satisfied with the bare version, or I miss something from the OEM version.  But, the OEM recovery partitions contains a combination of files which Windows can use to restore (*.swm files), but also OKR-specific files.  So, I'm not sure how windows can handle it, but I think there may be enough tools out there, specifically ImageX (from MS) which could be used to restore the recovery on any drive.  

What I plan to do is just to keep all existing paritions intact (after hotfix) and let windows decide what to do with the existing "helper" partitions when I install the "clean" windows version.  I think during the install that those partitions won't be resized, but will just be overwritten.  So, when you attempt to restore, those partitions must exist, and all three partitions must be restored.  For instance, when windows generates image files, it does so for 3 partitions, not just the system partition.

I think the best way for you possibly is to backup the entire original drive (Macrium Free with its WinPE recovery disk) does this in one fell swoop, creating only one 25 GB file.  Upon restore, you would have the option to determine how or if the partitions get resized, but if not, you could always expand the partition(s) after restore.  On second thought, you should be able to get by with only backing up those first few partitions from the original disk and restoring them onto the new disk with all requisite partitions.  Then, create a massive active primary partition (or multiple if you want) and use the recovery drive to restore windows on that partition.  

As for your second post above, my USB recovery drive is able to boot in UEFI mode with no problem.  Did you create the recovery drive in W8?  Did you move the boot order such that the USB drive is above the Samsung drive in the boot order?

This easy tutorial shows you hot setup a new GPT disk with those two required partitions  --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297800

Not sure it's needed, but yet another tool.

Let us know how it works out.

Options

3385 Posts

06-27-2012

India

5396 Signins

57737 Page Views

• Views: 57737
  • Message 4 of 17

2013-03-24, 14:16 PM
Hi
Actually you can combine the svm images as i had told in the previous thread. See this link
http://www.verboon.info/index.php/2009/10/splitting-and-merging-image-files-with-imagex/
http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/89955-merge-swm-into-single-wim/
And you can download image x from here
http://www.raidcalculator.co.uk/download-imagex-exe-without-installing-waik/
After that you can either use imagex to apply the image or the gimagex software to install it. The image is in the four svm's only and not in any other okr file. Boot.okr is boot.wim in reality.
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
Options

23 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

25 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 5 of 17

2013-03-24, 20:39 PM

Thanks Floepie and Ishaan for some suggestions,

I created the Win 8 recovery drive onto my usb by using my friends Yoga 13 (I had already wiped the hard drive out of my Yoga 13 in an attempt to reclaim lost space).  I do have the USB set to boot before the SSD.  At this time, I'm using an AData mSATA 128gb.  Same size as the slower Samsung.  Place the Adata into the same physical position as the Samsung.  And when it boots from the USB with boot set to UEPI and optimized for Win8, it gives me a missing partition/drive error.  That's when I have to change to Legacy and Legacy first to work. 

The major downside to doing Legacy so far is it doesn't recognized all the other hardware such as WiFi and Bluetooth.  But anytime I try to go with UEPI, it continues to fail.

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Message 6 of 17

2013-03-25, 15:25 PM

You probably can't use UEFI because you have new hardware.  But, still a bit hazy on that one.

What you can do also is grab a copy of the new made-for-w8 Windows ADK here. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30652

You can just download what you need without the entire ADK, as one had to do previously in older versions.  You would need the WinPE boot ability, ImageX, and Diskpart.  Looks like the latter 2 can be found already in WinPE, but not sure.

Then after booting into WinPE, you would need to convert the new drive to GPT by using Diskpart's commands "clean", followed by "convert to gpt".  

Then, you need to create with the diskpart utility the WinRE partition (1GB), the EFI partition (260 MB), the MSR partition (128MB), followed by the system partition, according to the following scheme - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

You can use this code: [code]

rem These commands are used with DiskPart to
rem erase the drive and create five partitions
rem for a UEFI/GPT-based computer.
rem Adjust the partition sizes to fill the drive as necessary.
select disk 0
clean
convert gpt
rem === 1. Windows RE tools partition ===========
create partition primary size=300
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows RE tools"
set id="de94bba4-06d1-4d40-a16a-bfd50179d6ac"
assign letter="T"
rem === 2. System partition =====================
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32 label="System"
assign letter="S"
rem === 3. Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition ===
create partition msr size=128
rem === 4. Windows partition ====================
rem ==    a. Create Windows partition =========== 
create partition primary 
rem ==    b. Create space for recovery image ====  
shrink minimum=15000
rem ==    c. Prepare the Windows partition ====== 
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows"
assign letter="W"
rem === 5. Recovery image partition =============
create partition primary
format quick fs=ntfs label="Recovery image"
gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001
assign letter="R"

But, modify the 1st part to be 1GB and the second as 260MB, and you can skip the last recovery.  So, you end up with 4 partitions.  

Then, you could follow this guide on how to restore the WIMs to they system partition, the WinRE partition and the EFI partitions using imagex.  http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/5074-recover-windows-8-wim-file.html

Options

23 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

25 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 7 of 17

2013-03-26, 22:41 PM

FLOEPIE ,

Wow, that is some great insight.  I'll give it a try this weekend.  As for your question, yes the mSata was replaced due to the original owner keeping the factory drive for security reasons.  I put in a brand new drive.

I just received the set of recovery CD from Lenovo.  I've already created a bootable usb drive from the DVD disks.  Unfortunately I'm getting the same result as with the recovery created by the Yoga. 

Lenovo really needs to address this.  Can't believe it has to be this difficult to do a reinstall.

Options

80 Posts

03-14-2013

MI

354 Signins

1287 Page Views

• Message 8 of 17

2013-03-27, 8:49 AM

Have you configured the drive as a GPT drive? Here's the mother of all tutorials on how to install windows on an SSD:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

Open section entitled Configure drive using an UEFI motherboard and GPT format:

Also, in the BIOS you should not have to switch to legacy mode if the USB boot has the EFI folder in its root.  You may have to turn off Secure boot however.  

Options

23 Posts

03-04-2013

United States

25 Signins

122 Page Views

• Message 9 of 17

Lenovo - Customer feedback

2013-04-10, 17:47 PM

Just to give an update to the community and hopefully some constructive feedback to Lenovo. After following the steps that were provided by other helpful members, I was not successful in re-installing Win 8 in UEFI mode. Threw my hand up and sent the Yoga back to Lenovo for re-imaging.

TO LENOVO - Please resolve the issue with allowing end users to be able to replace a hard-drive without running into this issue.  It is not cost effective for you to pay shipping just to re-image the harddrive.  1) the harddrive at 128gb only results in an effective 70GB with the partitions that is created.  Such a waste of space.  2) because we are early in the use of mSATA, 128GB is easily exceeded by many users (especially in light of point #1).  It is totally within reason that many end users will replace the harddrive.  I rather have one harddrive than two because of battery consumption.  3) MOST IMPORTANT POINT OF ALL....I HAVE TURNED AWAY AT LEAST 3 POTENTIAL PURCHASES DUE TO SHARING MY EXPERIENCE WITH THE WAY WINDOWS 8 IS IMPLEMENTED.  I don't like to speak poorly of any product but this consistant them needs to be addressed. 

Thanks everyone!!!

Options

16 Posts

12-02-2012

Wappingers Falls NY

19 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 10 of 17

Re: Lenovo - Customer feedback

2013-07-19, 18:48 PM

Like JHLenovo I am totally frustrated and disappointed to have to thrown in the towel for yet another roundtrip back to Lenovo for something that *SHOULD* work.  My problem is I wiped the 128G SSD after mucking up some stuff and I figured I would not have a problem - i have a recovery USB stick, and I have a restore-CD set.  The recovery USB gives me an error like 'sorry buddy, can't reset your disk' - very helpful.  I can boot off the CD and start the retore process but get an error I have not been able to find anything on.

(1)Create recovery file(aodstat.dat) occurs an error.  Click YES to try again, click NO to quit and reboot.

Needless to say, retrying is fruitless.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?  I have created (empty) partitions following the script floepy showed above but it always gets me to the same place.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)