Options

112 Posts

03-11-2013

Singapore

394 Signins

2613 Page Views

• Views: 2613
  • Message 81 of 95

Re: Changing Default Energy Management Options...

2013-03-28, 7:33 AM

hi. i need to highlight that this problem is still noted on my y500, with the latest available energy management software.

while its odd enough that the option to set threshold is not given, the more annoying factor is that the software keeps going to optimum battery life rather than optimum battery health.

on a separate note, the danged website keeps telling me that i am banned!

the little annoyances do add up. cant compare this to the sofware found on the t61 that i have, but i think its quite clearcut that something is wrong with the software on the ideapad.

Options

7 Posts

01-18-2013

BC

9 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 82 of 95

2013-04-03, 14:29 PM

Hi folks

Sorry it took so long to get back here. Trouble is, I really don't know what to add. I cannot remember having done anything other than going into the Power Options panel, then setting the Lenovo Energy Management & Energy Star settings. I do recall that when i was first attempting to make the fix, i did, as some people mentioned in these forums, delete & then re-install the windows driver, but that did not seem to help. Wish i could offer more. I'll try to get back on here at some point after i've had a chance to carefully re-trace my steps. Good luck; don't lose heart

Options

112 Posts

03-11-2013

Singapore

394 Signins

2613 Page Views

• Message 83 of 95

2013-04-24, 1:15 AM

hi all.

its been a while, and i believe that the issue on energy management has started to cause my battery to fail. here is why i think so.

yet again after a good whole day of heavy laptop usage, i see that the energy management software reverted to max battery life. set it back the next morning to max battery life, and the laptop died. (lost power). this happened twice.

I am going through a battery gauge reset, and if i see it lose more than 5% charge, i am going to flip. its not even a month, and though it may be high expectations on my part, i would expect the battery to hold 75% charge in two years.

having to do the danged battery reset is quite a time waster too. While it may be wishful thinking to see the same type of software available like on the thinkpads to see the total holding capacity in mah, i hope to see something helpful after the reset battery gauge is done.

lenovo engineers, short term testing might make you think that this "feature" you set is essential, but long term usage can potentially kill batteries prematurely.

anyways, if the reset gauge does net excessive loss of capacity, ima call support. hopefully they will be so kind as to provide a spare battery, so this one can serve as a sacrifice due to this design flaw. i'll keep you guys posted.

Options

67 Posts

03-06-2012

midwest

57 Signins

533 Page Views

• Views: 533
  • Message 84 of 95

2013-04-24, 13:13 PM

@ spaiduhz,  

"yet again after a good whole day of heavy laptop usage, i see that the energy management software reverted to max battery life. set it back the next morning to max battery life, and the laptop died. (lost power). this happened twice."

I don't understand the above statement.  You say that the energy management software reverted to max battery life.  Then you say "set it back the next morning to max battery life".  What does that mean?  If the energy management software reverted to max battery life, how could you then set it back the next morning to max battery life?  It's the same setting. 

Options

112 Posts

03-11-2013

Singapore

394 Signins

2613 Page Views

• Message 85 of 95

2013-04-24, 17:47 PM

at night i leave the laptop running with certain processes running in the background, energy management set to max batt health. set it up at work. end of the work day, realize its set to max battery life, with the battery very hot.

to simplify, i set it to max health. for reasons unknown, with no idea what triggers it, energy management keeps setting itself to max life. even if i dont turn off the laptop, i just put it on standby, it has a high chance of going to max life.

i've done a reset gauge, and as expected, it doesn't tell you in detail how much charge the battery actually holds.

i tried to generate a battery report from powercfg, for some reason its not generating a readable html report file. i cant shake off the feeling its an energy management problem, but i cant confirm right now. i certainly hope it isnt an intentional design to block off generating the powercfg report.

-edit

my bad. cant open the report unless i bring it out of the windows/system32 folder. read the battery report, and i am a little cynical of the results. its very useful that it tells you holding charge, which is more that the reset battery gauge feature on energy management does. in summary, the results are in.

when the laptop was new, it holds more charge than design spec. design capacity was 7236mWh, but reported max holding charge was 7469mWh. no big deal, since its not all that uncommon to get a battery whose max capacity is a wee bit higher. it allows you to keep it in storage longer, and still be within spec when it degrades after a few months.

now, exactly one month after i took it out of the box, brand new, the lowest holding capacity reported was 7200mWh. while its only 36mWh lower than spec, it has lost  3.72% of its designed capacity, in 30 days.

i cannot be expected to keep toggling to the energy management software and keep hoping its sticking to max health. its not reasonable! if you set it one way, you expect it to stay that way until manual intervention is done!

Options

112 Posts

03-11-2013

Singapore

394 Signins

2613 Page Views

• Message 86 of 95

2013-04-25, 18:46 PM
an update after the reset gauge. it seemed to help for at least a solitary power cycle. next day, it went crazy. instead of stopping charge at 60%, it stops at 59% instead. no biggie, i thought.
during lunch, i turned the laptop off. came back and windows reported the battery to be charged to 89%. i figured it odd, but i didnt think much of it, until the screen kept dimming itself. to my alarm, energy saving keeps kicking in causing the screen to dim at such an alarming frequency that it seemed like its flickering.

this got me to uninstall the energy management software and reinstall it. when the installer prompted me to reboot, i obliged, and it went downhill from there.

for a very significant ammount of time, 10 minutes or so, windows reported battery level to be 0%, and that its not charging. powercfg /batteryreport shows an above average max charge instead. the flickering didnt happen too bad now, but the secondary graphics keeps powering. the only fix would be to activate max batt life instead of health, and that was the precise thing i was trying to avoid.

i tried to call lenovo helpdesk, and it does seem that hotline catering to singapore is lacking. mon-fri 9-6, sat 9-3? and its not even outseourced to another hotline for general assistance? what??

am seriously ticked off now. i am going to throw care to the wind, and hoping the battery konks out while its under warranty. the rate things are going, its more likely than not that the battery is going to prematurely konk out.
Options

38 Posts

10-03-2011

France

168 Signins

639 Page Views

• Views: 639
  • Message 87 of 95

2014-03-23, 3:33 AM

the power profile reset issue is annoying as hell and lenovo's not taking care of it at all, so annoying.. anybody found a way to deal with this?

W520: i7-2720QM, Q2000M, 12GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD, FHD screen
Options

1 Posts

03-29-2014

united kingdom

8 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 88 of 95

2014-03-29, 20:36 PM

Exactly the same problem on my Y500. Tried uninstalling. reinstalling, booting into safe mode to change the setting etc but so far no joy. It always reverts back to Battery Fully Charged mode when rebooted no matter what the battery level is at. I'm close to giving up. Why can't they just release a simple bug fix or is that too much to ask??

Options

10 Posts

08-28-2014

24 Signins

162 Page Views

• Message 89 of 95

2014-08-28, 1:33 AM
no solution for this problem ????
Options

15 Posts

08-02-2014

Lebanon

15 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 90 of 95

2014-08-31, 16:52 PM

Hey, thank you for your info! I have a lenovo y510 and i always plug the ac adapter into it, so when i tried to use optimizied battery health my perfomance decrease while on AC, so i always have to switch to maximum battery life. You have any idea? Thank you

========================================================
I have Lenovo Y510p 8GB RAM, Core i7 4700MQ, GT755m SLI, 8GB SSD,
1 TB HDD
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete