Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Views: 333
  • Message 1 of 42

Z560 - Core i5, Nvidia Gefore 310m - Switchable Graphics?

2010-12-19, 20:46 PM

Hi, I've recently purchased a Lenovo Z560 - this exact model to be precise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-notebook-i5-450M-Premium/dp/B003V8AUKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292791429&sr=8-1

I'm wondering if where I can contact Lenovo directly to request that they implement a switchable graphics feature - currently it would appear as though the core i5 processors integrated graphics are not being used at all, and as a result, the Nvidia graphics are constantly working - resulting in poor battery life.

Would it be possible for Lenovo to implement this feature to this laptop? It would seem to me that a bios upgrade and a program to switch between the display provider (core i5 integrated or the nvidia geforce 310m) would suffice.

If anyone could tell me if this is possible, and where I can suggest to Lenovo, that would be fantastic.

Merry Christmas to you all

Rastaman

Options

13866 Posts

12-07-2009

CZ

9007 Signins

170449 Page Views

• Views: 170449
  • Message 2 of 42

Re: Z560 - Core i5, Nvidia Gefore 310m - Switchable Graphics?

2010-12-19, 21:18 PM

call 08082342923 for lenovo support line ( uk ).

also, you can check bios/driver updates from the link below.

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/uk/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=37684

Due to my absence, I may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Message 3 of 42

2010-12-19, 21:33 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply, I was hoping to not contact them telephonically - it costs rather a lot! - is there perhaps an e-mail address for technical queries such as this?

I've already updated my BIOS, and I can't find any log files of previous bios's to check whether this issue has already been addressed or not.

I'm currently upto date with my Nvidia graphics drivers, would installing the Intel Onboards Graphics Driver help?

Thanks again,

Rastaman25

Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Message 4 of 42

2010-12-19, 22:54 PM

Well guys, I used the talk to an agent feature, and I'll put a copy of the chat log in here so you can see the results -

- short story  = request has been submitted to incorporate the Nvidia Optimus Switching Feature to both the department neccessary as well as the chat agent's superiors - fingers crossed it will bring a result!

Rastaman25

Lenovo: Welcome to Lenovo Care Premium Support.
You: hi?
Lenovo: Thank you for providing your details. All agents are currently attending other customers. Please wait for the next available agent. There is 1 customer ahead of you.
Thank you for contacting Lenovo Care - Premium Support. Due to higher than normal volume, all of our technicians are currently assisting other customers. Please wait and the next available technician will be with you shortly. You are at position 2.
You: hello?
Lenovo: Thank you for providing your details. All agents are currently attending other customers. Please wait for the next available agent. There is 1 customer ahead of you.
You: :)
Thank you for contacting Lenovo Care - Premium Support. Due to higher than normal volume, all of our technicians are currently assisting other customers. Please wait and the next available technician will be with you shortly. You are at position 1.
You: Hmmm...
Lenovo: Thank you for providing your details. All agents are currently attending other customers. Please wait for the next available agent.
Agent has entered.
You: Hello? :)
Agent: Hi. This is Agent. How may I help you?
You: Hey Agent, I've recently purchased a Lenovo Z560 Ideapad, and I've noted that currently it only uses the Nvidia Geforce 310m, rather than using the nvidia optimus technology that would allow it to use the integrated graphics form the i5 processor
Agent has left.
You: I was wondering if there has been any updates towards this, as it would improve battery life, and if not, where I could suggest it so that the idea may be developed?
Agent has entered.
You: Hello again, do you need me to copy paste the last bits of text? :) I noticed you left the conversation!
Agent: yes pls... sorry.
You: heh, lenovo efficiency eh ? ;) (its a joke) hold on
You: Hey Agent, I've recently purchased a Lenovo Z560 Ideapad, and I've noted that currently it only uses the Nvidia Geforce 310m, rather than using the nvidia optimus technology that would allow it to use the integrated graphics form the i5 processor
You: I was wondering if there has been any updates towards this, as it would improve battery life, and if not, where I could suggest it so that the idea may be developed?
You: the basic problem is that the laptop is constanntly using the built in graphics card (nvidia 310m) rather than utilising these graphics only when it needs them - and the power consumption is crazy - resultsi n poor battery life
Agent: i see.
Agent: Let me see what i can do.
Agent: May I have your name and the serial number pls?
You: if you can tell me where to look for the serial? :) my name is ******
You: found it i think
You: ********** (Serial)
Agent: Tahnk you. Checking the system now...
Agent: Thank* you
Agent: By the way, what is the operating system?
You: It's running Windows 7 64bit
You: if it helps at all, this is the exact laptop : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-notebook-i5-450M-Premium/dp/B003V8AUKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292796158&sr=8-1 (all the specs there will be correct as I only bought it a week ago)
Agent: Thank you.
Agent: Basically we can only recommend the updates that are available in our website.
You: Ok that's cool, in that case, could you possibly tell me where I could forward this request on? If lenovo have a technical division or something? Or if you could pass this query yourself?
Agent: Sure. You can download the updates here...
Agent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-notebook-i5-450M-Premium/dp/B003V8AUKS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292796158&sr=8-1
You: wrong linky me thinky ;)
Agent: Ooops. Wrong link..
Agent: http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/ot/en/DriversDownLoads/Drivers_Show_3644.html
You: Thanks - i've already downloaded updates from there, so would you be able to tell me where to submit the request on?
Agent: I see.
Agent: Let me check a link where you can submit the request to...
You: thanks :)
Agent: You're welcome.
You: sorry this is a bit more of a technical request than usual, but I think it'd be great if Lenovo worked on this as it should theoretically improve the battery life on the laptop by quite a large margin
Agent: I agree.
Agent: And I've tried to look for a link that will help you but so far the links only direct you for another purpose.
Agent: But I've already sent a query regarding that so I'm pretty sure that they'll receive the message and work on it.
Agent: You might want to check our forums regarding the Video card issue.
You: that was the problem I was having earlier when I looked, which was why I came on here! - would there be anyway of me being able to track the query and be informed of updates to it? if my email address were included in the query?
You: I've already posted on the forum and they've suggested contacting Lenovo directly : - )
Agent: Oh.
You: there is no real issue as such with the video card - its merely a suggestion of how Lenovo could improve its current laptop :)
Agent: Have you tried going to the power options menu in the control panel to change the settings?
You: as far as I can see, there is no option to change from using the graphics card (nvidia 310m) to the built in chipset within the processor (core i5)
Agent: What is the current power settings you have?
You: well, I am using the Lenovo Energy Management Software
You: and even when set to Super Energy Saver / Energy Star I believe the laptop is still utilising the graphics card (nvidia)
Agent: try doing it from the control panel and then select change settings for the energy saver settings.
Agent: If you don't have that option, you might need to uninstall Lenovo Energy Mgt so that windows settings will take over.
You: hold on a second, does that mean the laptop does support using the core i5 chipset/
You: ?
Agent: What do you mean?
You: Changing the power settings will give me a change in battery expectancy, but I originally started this question to enquire whehter the laptop was capable of supporting the Nvidia Optimus technology, which utilises the graphics card in the machine for intensive graphical activities such as gaming, and swtiches automatically to the alternative inbuilt graphics inside the core i5 processor which will use much less power
You: so I'm not really understanding why you're asking me to change the power settings?
Agent: Oh I see.
Agent: So this is for the Nvidia Optimus Technology.
You: yes
Agent: I'm not quite familiar with that software to be honest.
You: well, the technology could theoretically be implemented within the laptop - i understand you forwarded a request regarding this earlier in the conversation?
Agent: Yes I did.
You: Ok so hopefully the department in question will work on it! :) is there any way of me to be informed of their progress? if you could possibly forward another message regarding the first asking for *****@hotmail.co.uk to be informed with any developments?
Agent: Unfortunately we can only do a request here in our dept.
Agent: And once the solution is found, it will just be updated in the website right away.
You: :) Thats excellent thanks
Agent: Would there be anything else that I can help you with today?
You: did you include within the query that it was relating to the Nvidia Optimus Switching Technology? (last question I promise!)
Agent: Yes I did. And also made an email to my superiors regarding that too.
You: Sorry to ask again - I just wanted to clarify - makes it much quicker in the long run hopefully
You: You've been a fantastic help I really hope you have a great day tommorow, sorry for being a fairly tricky customer
Agent: That's ok.
You: I honestly do appreciate the help :)
Agent: No problem.
Agent: We value these kinds of questions or queries about our products for feedback.
You: That's always good to know :)
You: I guess I'd better let you go - I understand you finish work in roughly 10 mins
Agent: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
You: not unless you know the lottery results, and even if you did, i'm sure you'd want to capitalise on that yourself first! :) Thanks for all the help.
Agent: lol
Agent: You have a wonderful day Mr. *****.
You: the same to you :)
You: Bye ;)
Agent: Bye

spoiler added & personal information has been masked

Options

10 Posts

01-08-2011

Germany

64 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 5 of 42

2011-01-08, 12:33 PM

Hi!

Any news? I've got the same problem here.

I'm quite disappointed that I cannot use the intel GMA HD. I chose the core i5 for a good reason...

Thanks in advance for any updates on this!

Greetings from Germany :)

Riq

Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Message 6 of 42

2011-01-09, 17:33 PM

Unfortunately nothing as yet, could anyone from Lenovo comment upon this please?

I'm sure there are a great many users out there who would appreciate this feature being implemented - it can't be that hard surely!

Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Message 7 of 42

2011-01-09, 20:13 PM

A further update after a chat with Lenovos support :

Agent has entered.

You: hello?
Agent: Welcome to Lenovo Care Premium Support. My name is Sancho. How can I help you today?
You: Hi, I basically would like to register a request to the support staff / technicians of Lenovo
You: I own a Lenovo Z560, and would like to see it updated with a switchable graphics feature, which it doesn't currently possess.
You: The specifics have already been mentioned in the forum, but nothing has of yet appeared from Lenovo
Agent
: Is it a brand new system?
You: yep
You: but the bios hasn't yet been updated by Lenovo and no drivers have been released that would allow the switchable graphics feature
Agent: Since this is under warranty, It is best to contact the Lenovo Warranty Support Nos: 1 877 453 6686 option 2 so they can sort this out for you.
You: its not a technical issue, it just needs to be forwarded onto the people who develop the bios/software updates
Agent: I understand the issue, But you have to talk to the Lenovo hardware support for this.
You: how can I?
You: I'm in the UK btw
You: can the details not simply be emailed to the correct department? All they need is that link where all the details are
Agent: You can email it to *******

So - an email address procured, see next post for e-mail sent!

Options

29 Posts

12-19-2010

UK

31 Signins

333 Page Views

• Message 8 of 42

2011-01-09, 20:14 PM

So, following the above conversation, I have emailed this on behalf of all Z560 owners:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing on behalf of all current owners of the Lenovo Z560, to request that a switchable graphics feature be implemented for this model. I believe that currently other Lenovo Laptops (such as the Z360, Y460, T410) do possess this technology, but the Z560  currently does not, although hardware wise, there is no reason as to why it should not.

As with many other owners of the Z560, I personally use the laptop for work and travel, but am often unfortunately let down by a rather poor battery life compared to other laptops of a similar specification. I ask therefore, that the Nvidia Optimus Technology be put into effect, as the switching technology should allow for an overall longer battery life, and the added  benefits of both a Discrete GPU and Integrated Graphics.

Theoretically, I believe that a BIOS update and Graphics Driver update would be needed, and I deeply hope that this request can be undertaken by your development team, in order to further improve the Z560.

I have already opened a thread regarding this on the Lenovo Forums, which can be located here : *link to this thread*

Yours faithfully,

Rastaman_25  - well, I actually put my real name, but privacy eh? xD

Heres hoping to a solution!

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 9 of 42

2011-01-09, 20:37 PM

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

10 Posts

01-08-2011

Germany

64 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 10 of 42

2011-01-09, 21:37 PM

Hey Rastaman.

Thank you for putting all that effort into this issue. It really is a shame that such a great feature which should (at least theoretically) lead to a significantly extended indenpendence from power plugs has not been implemented so far.

I wonder if there actually is a way to enable this feature or if the actual harware layout doesn't allow to have both GMA HD and Nvidia graphic cards running.

Thanks for keeping us (and me) updated!

Riq

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete