Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
jan3594

Can not enter BIOS on my Z570

Hey,

I have a problem with accessing EFI BIOS on my Z570. If I press F2 on the beggining/loading screen the key press is detected (it shows "Please wait..." message in the bottom of the loading screen) but I can not enter bios. It just goes booting Ubuntu. It ignores F2 completely. Same thing happens with F12.

I also can not update BIOS because I only have Ubuntu installed and no way to boot anything else.

So is there any other option for reseting/updating BIOS? I tried all standard procedures (took the battery out, hold the power off button for 30-40sec, etc...). OKR is also not an option, because I deleted the OEM partition.

This whole thing happend because I could not install Win 7 properly, which is in my opinion connected to the UEFI/BIOS issues.

Any advice or do I call Lenovo service? 

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Re: Can not enter BIOS on my Z570

jan3594, welcome to the forum,

are you trying to enter BIOS from a cold start or during a system restart?  Please ensure the system is off and as soon as you see the BIOS splash screen start tapping away on the F2 button.

If that doesn't work, please try the solution in this KnowledgeBase article, I know it concerns another system type but giving it a go can't hurt. :smileywink:

Let us know how you get on.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
jan3594

andyP thank you very much for very quick response.

But unfortunately this does not solve my problem. I tried cold start/system restart/take out the battery pack and then start and I still can't enter the BIOS. 

Also the solution in the KnowledeBase article does not work. I can see the Lenovo splash screen (and under it text: "Press (F2) for enter Setup, (F12) for enter multiboot) and F2 is detected (underline text changes in "Please wait...") but it "skips" the BIOS completely and continues to the Grub/Ubuntu loading. I can also make a video recording of this if maybe I am not being clear enough :smileyhappy:

Thank you again,
Jan 

andyP
Topics: 185
Kudos: 680
Solutions: 609

Sorry it didn't help, but guess it was worth a try :smileysad:

I'm not aquainted with the Z570 at all, but hows about holding down the F2 button while you start the system to see if that works?  Another idea would be to hold down 4 or 5 keys and try to provoke a "stuck key" error which then usually brings up a message similar to "press F2 to enter setup"

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Retired Guru
Duck3

And another suggestion to try, hold down "B" key on boot.
Paper Tape
jan3594

Holding F2 also does not work. If I provoke "stuck key" error (I got it before while holding F2) it just says something like: "01010001: Stuck key error" for about 2 seconds and then it goes forward to boot (again skipping BIOS and I don't see "press F2 to enter setup" message).

Duck3 holding "B" does nothing :smileysad:

Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance. 

Broadband 3G
countrywise

if i remember correctly pressing f11 will bring up the boot menu,

or some such,where you can then choose to enter BİOS.

İt's just something to try?

And the 'delete'key may be worth trying?

Paper Tape
jan3594

F11 does nothing (I think you were thinking about F12 - Multiboot options but that also does not work). Delete and "del" key doesn't work either. 

I googled a lot about this problem and other people were saying that BIOS update can solve this issue. But I can not update BIOS without Windows or can I?

I guess I will have to send computer back on Monday :smileysad: 

Broadband 3G
countrywise

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/forum/linux

No,i was not thinking of f12 but f11

i remember reading something regarding that,

but since it didn't work........

Try the above link and  explain your problem there,

it's worth doing.

Good luck.

Paper Tape
hazrpg

Please make sure you read everything I have written before carrying out anything.

Although the BIOS update comes prepackaged in a Windows executable... it is nothing more than a self-executing zip file. So you should be able to extract the BIOS ROM straight from this in Ubuntu (right-click it -> extract). Once you have the ROM, you can attempt to either do it in Ubuntu itself.

Below is a guide found on the Ubuntu forum about flashing/updating the BIOS within Ubuntu. From what I've read, the best way for you is to use the "Flashrom" method, since the others seem to use bootable mediums... and since you can't use these, using the Flashrom tool will be your best bet.

HOWTO: Flash BIOS, The Ubuntu Way

Please read the whole document/link(s) before doing anything, plus make sure you understand the risks and read the warning. Doing a BIOS update/flash can be destructive. Main issues that cause a bad flash are: Battery isn't full charged, and/or not plugged into the mains. Downloading an incorrect BIOS (i.e. not for your system). As long as you make sure its fully charged, that you download the right BIOS for your system, follow all the steps correctly (when doing a flash within an OS, its recommeneded to do it on a fresh boot, and not to open ANY applications other than the tools needed to flash), then you should be fine. I've been flashing for 10 years and I've never had any issues with any methods (even back in the old floppy days!). But please make sure you understand that it *may* be destructive, or brick your device.