Options

51 Posts

01-16-2014

UK

71 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 1 of 13

Ideapad Y510p touchpad - fixing the driver - but Lenovo should be ashamed of itself

2014-02-20, 19:38 PM

I have had my Y510p for only a few weeks but it has taken me many evenings of hard work to get the laptop into a usable state.

The laptop came with Windows 8 and a cost free update to Windows 8.1 in the app store. Upgrading created a whole slew of problems not only with drivers but also with the scaling of applications such as Chrome which required googling to find how to change the settings so that a decent font resolution was possible for all apps.

One of the initial most irritating problems was that the touchpad could not be set to be stable - it was constantly jittery and when right clicking it often took several attempts to get a right click menu up on the screen before any of the options could be clicked. Also it was impossible to set the touchpad to do single finger vertical scrolling. The final main irritation was that there was no way to set it so that a gentle tap on an appropriate area of the touchpad would give the equivalent of a right click on a mouse. Usng the clickable bottom right of the touchpad was very frustrating all the time as well as  noisy, and I was close to abandonning the touchpad altogether, and resorting to plugging in a mouse instead.

This remained a complete frustration until earlier this evening when I finally found the solution, not through the Lenovo site but on another laptop forum.  The Lenovo support matrix shows that the current driver available for the Synaptics touchpad is version 17.0.10.12.  On the other hand the Synaptics site at http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers gives a driver download for version v17.0.19 which it turns out is an unsigned driver. However the latter driver is much more advanced and has fixes for almost all the problems in the default driver.

Going through the rigmarole of learning how to override the install for an unsigned driver finally got me the new synaptics driver working which is a great deal more configurable than the Lenovo provided default and in fact fixes every one of the irritations that I had before!

Yet Lenovo does not make this working driver available!  Why is Lenovo making it so difficult for its customers to get this laptop into a decent working state on a component that is essential to satisfactory working with this product?

I hope that this post may help others who have also had the same frustrations as me with the touchpad on the Y510p. 

Options

6 Posts

03-22-2014

18 Signins

147 Page Views

• Message 2 of 13

Re: Ideapad Y510p touchpad - fixing the driver - but Lenovo should be ashamed of itself

2014-03-23, 8:05 AM

i have the same problem but  i can not install the driver you posted here, could someone help me with this, when i try to install it   it says  failure. and before it  i have prevously uninstalled  the lenovo pointing device driver, so could someone help me with this ?

Options

15 Posts

02-16-2014

Rocklin

34 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 3 of 13

Re: Ideapad Y510p touchpad - fixing the driver - but Lenovo should be ashamed of itself

2014-04-24, 1:57 AM

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Just not getting around to addressing this major issue. What a pain this has been. TIA.

Options

236 Posts

05-09-2010

Cochrane

1681 Signins

10422 Page Views

• Views: 10422
  • Message 4 of 13

2014-04-24, 3:14 AM

All Y510P track pads may look the same but the track pads are made by two completely different companies.  Before you try to install some updated drivers, you need to know what company made your track pad.  The drivers that you can download from Lenovo contain drivers for both track pads.  If the installer detects that you have a Synaptics track pad, it installs the Synaptic drivers and if it detects that your Y510P has an ELAN track pad, it installs the appropriate ELAN drivers.  

Lenovo should be ashamed of themselves but obviously they are not because they have not updated either of these drivers in almost a year.  I have an ELAN pad and I also got fed up waiting for an update so I searched high and low for some updated drivers.  The drivers I found were developed by ELAN for Toshiba but they work fine in the Y510P as long as you have an ELAN track pad.  An ELAN pad has no idea whether it got installed in a Lenovo laptop or a Toshiba laptop or whatever so you can use whatever drivers you like.  These new drivers just work. The one finger edge scroll works great and most importantly, you can set up a dead zone over top of where the mouse buttons are.  ELAN calls this the SmartArea.

I posted about these drivers on NBR but got virtually zero feedback.  The only feedback was from a guy that didn't know what he was doing and ended up installing the wrong drivers.  Read the NBR forum for a couple of pages.  There are some pics so you can have a look at some of the options in these drivers and there are also some hint about how to properly install them.  If you have any questions post them here and I will help you out.  You have to trick Windows 8 a little to install them but they install fine.  I will never go back to the drivers on the Lenovo site.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/720343-ideapad-y510p-359.html#post9622928

Options

1 Posts

05-01-2014

israel

3 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 5 of 13

2014-05-01, 21:44 PM
yoy said " you can set up a dead zone over top of where the mouse buttons are"
i try to do that but i didn't find where
i download the driver from the link you write (but its newer version)

Thankes
Options

41 Posts

05-12-2014

USA

102 Signins

1145 Page Views

• Views: 1145
  • Message 6 of 13

2014-05-29, 20:05 PM
Wow. I really appreciate this advice and will try to install the minute I get home.

First, I have had ALL of the same problems you listed. The fonts on Chrome and other problems looked absolutely terrible and was so disappointed as this was my first 1920x1080 screen.

Then, the drivers - have messed with the intel graphic driver so much until I finally gave up and accepted that I MUST play games in 1080 or a memory leak crashes the whole computer. The optimized settings kept changing Crysis 2 back to 1600x? without me being aware and the intel graphics would crash the computer (even though it's using discrete graphics...)

The problem that I have yet to figure out how to fix or exactly why it's happening is the audio occasionally cutting in and out followed my Realtek pop up messages "you have unplugged an audio device" and "you have plugged..." It seems to happen when I alt+esc or alt+tab out of games... It also happens while playing games. How many more hours of my life willi waste with that.

Finally, the synaptics touchpad! Horrible, horrible drivers. EVERY TIME I reboot my computer every change I've made is back to default. That means I have to change every detail each time just to get a slightly less crappy touchpad!

I had read many posts about the ELAN drivers and how people had used ASUS, etc to get an decent driver because Lenovo is to lazy. I had not read about experiences with Synaptics so THANK YOU for trying this out.

I hope to god that I can not only have settings that don't revert to default on shutdown, but also that I can have a two-finger right click. Like you I think that pushing the "buttons" is very loud (among other things)
Options

236 Posts

05-09-2010

Cochrane

1681 Signins

10422 Page Views

• Views: 10422
  • Message 7 of 13

2014-05-31, 1:50 AM

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/751866-installing-updated-elan-track-pad-drivers-y510p.html

There's the guide that I found for installing updated drivers for the ELAN track pad.  Perhaps something similar will work if you have a Synaptics track pad.

Installing those drivers on my Y510P has made a huge difference to usability and reduced frustration.

Options

41 Posts

05-12-2014

USA

102 Signins

1145 Page Views

• Views: 1145
  • Message 8 of 13

2014-06-02, 3:00 AM

Ok guys, I partially followed the guide that unclewebb posted and I got it working.  Best part is that it was NOT difficult.

The ELAN guide tells you to delete certain reg keys.  I'm not sure if this is necessary for Synaptics but just so you know I did delete the same folders (except replace ELAN with Synaptics.)

The extra step that is required with Synaptics is to reboot with "disable driver signing required" in Windows 8.  Follow this guide to do that: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-can-i-install-hardware-with-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-8/

So steps followed:

1) Uninstall Lenovo Pointing Device

2) Delete Reg Keys (see ELAN guide)

3) Delete C:\Program Files\Synaptics

4) Reboot as mentioned in second guide so you can install UNSIGNED drivers

5) Install as direct in ELAN guide

6) Reboot

7) Go to Mouse Settings, go to last tab, play with new Synaptics features

Now the trackpad is SOOOOOO much better.  There are many, many options but the two that I was dying to have are 1) two-finger tap right-click (now I never have to click those **bleep** buttons!) and 2) in the event I do click them, there is a dead zone set up over the two buttons so the mouse isn't moving around when trying to click something. 

Use your collective brain power, Lenovo, and give people some new drivers.  Jesus.

Options

1 Posts

06-03-2014

US

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 9 of 13

2014-06-03, 4:16 AM

I just recieved my y510p from Lenovo. The trackpad is aweful!! Should I return this? I have Windows 8.1 using the synaptics touchpad driver. According to Lenovo it is the newest driver. Does anyone have a fix for this? Or a link to a site that has a fix? This is by far the worst touchpad I've ever used. The customer support at Lenovo is awful, so I hope someone in the "Lenovo" community can help. I just retured the y410p because of the trackpad. And, the laptop before that arrived dead on arrival. I have been out of a laptop for a month. But I feel even more challenged with a laptop that has a terrible trackpad. Please help! Thanks for reading!

Options

51 Posts

01-16-2014

UK

71 Signins

769 Page Views

• Views: 769
  • Message 10 of 13

2014-06-03, 8:24 AM

If you look at the first post in this thread you will see that I downloaded a much more up to date driver for the clickpad than Lenovo has on its site.  I just checked again and the Y510p synaptics driver on the Lenovo site at http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS035829 for Windows 8.1 is vesion 17.0.10.12. On the other hand going to the synaptics site direct at http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php shows that their latest driver is in fact version 17.0.19 which is some generations more advanced than the one on the Lenovo site.  The one from the synaptics site is what I installed on my Y510p and gives a reasonable experience using the clickpad and allows a much better set of settings options than the one from Lenovo.

So it is simply that Lenovo staff have not made the effort to update the driver on their support site. It is some months since I installed the driver from the synaptics page but I don't remember it being a major issue installing it apart from learning how to install an unsigned driver.  Just download the driver, unzip it, install it and reboot and it should improve your whole experience with the clickpad. You do have to google for how to install an unsigned driver since the one on the synaptics site is unsigned. I can't remember if I had to install it by clicking a .exe file or if I went to the devices menu and then to the clickpad and told it to update the driver choosing where the file is.  But it should be straightforward to update to the synaptics one once you override the mechanism which tries to force you to stop installing the unsigned driver.

I have been using the same driver as this since February and it has been fine. But again please read my comments at the start of this thread from earlier in 2014.

Note: A couple of links to howtos for installing unsigned drivers is at 

http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-can-i-install-hardware-with-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-8/

Note that if you follow this method your laptop will revert to requiring signed drivers at the next reboot but the unsigned clickpad driver will remain and continue to work perfectly well once it is installed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete