Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-23-2013

United States

15 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 1 of 2

Y500 Issues and post sales reps

2013-01-23, 15:36 PM

This will read more like a review than anything else but I wanted to share my brief experience with Lenovo and the Y500. I hope this post and any potential replies will be useful to the community and/or lurkers/potential buyers.

Y500

Wonderful components and a great looking laptop. When I saw the specs I was thrilled and when it arrived I simply said "wow". My only initial disappointment was the feel of the touchpad and the finger prints on every surface. The touchpad looked several years old after a day and the bezel looked like a mechanic had his greesy hands all over it.  Shame because the bezel looks beautiful.

Touchpad

I hated the touchpad from day 1. I may have got used to it but would never have liked it. A few weeks in I got the dreaded faulty touchpad. The first time I was playing a game and the cursor just went nuts. I couldn't do anything. Eventually the computer shut down. On restart I got stuck in a loop an automatic repair. I couldn't get out of it because safe mode is disabled. I believe you can enable it by default in Win8 - do it now! No other repair options at the defualt UEFI screen got me out of the automatic repair loop except refresh the PC (I'm sure the complete reinstall would have done too). This lost me MANY days of software downloads, installs and customization. I didn't know of the touchpad issue at that time and blamed the game. I reinstalled everything but the game and the issue came back a few days later. Not as bad this time. I searched and found the now 60 odd page thread.

OS

No disks are sent with the laptop. At first I thought not a biggie unless you want to migrate HD. Then I wondered what happens if your original HD fails? I can't figure that part out. Don't you need the identical partitions in your new HD for the onekeyrecovery to work? Perhaps there is a workaround? I tried to migrate to an SSD to no avail (see below). I can't see average Joe being able to figure this out.

mSATA slot

I wanted an SSD primary drive and this is why I got this model. I did some reading before and felt it was possible. I purchased an mSATA SDD and installed it. You'll need to buy a screw but easy to install apart from that. I had a spare thankfully. Perhaps some SDDs ship with a screw? Take care opening the case as I can see the plastic tabs that keep it secure snapping easily. I really wanted to install the OS on there. I tried a host of things. I searched and searched and all things I found failed every single time. I gave up after about 5 days. I'm thinking you need a physical disk for this to work? Next I tried to use it as a cache disk. The activate button never showed up in the Intel software.  After I sent the laptop back I think I read that Lenovo enables cache without using the Intel software? This needs to be spelled out somewhere if true. Is it true?

WIDI

Needs to be fixed. Not sure if possible. I'd be very angry if this was the primary reason for the purchase. These things need to be tested. Have they updated the website? 

Post Sales

Mixed bag here. I called 6 times total. I was very pleasantly surprised in that I understood all of what was being said on all but one call. The one time I didn't understand was a volume issue and not a language issue. On my first call I was offered a repair. They told me 7-10 days but I my gut instinct said otherwise. I'm glad it did. They told me the refunds dept was closed (Monday - New Year's Eve) so I called 2 days later. I was offered a refund without issue (I was within 21 days - just). I cleaned the laptop of all my stuff (a good 10 hours!) using the clean install and sent the laptop back using the UPS label sent to my email. The email had been sent within minutes of the call and it was easy to ship back. They received the laptop the two days later.  I was a little worried that I was going to get hit with a restock fee so I called back. I was told the laptop was in QC. This was 4 days after they received it (they told me 2-3 days QC). I called every day or two and got the same message each time. Then finally was told a refund was issued. I think it happened about 10 business days after the  laptop was in their hands. The refund landed in my CC account a few days after that. 

Overall

I'm not ready to write off Lenovo but I'll never buy a new model from them again. I'll wait at least a year in the future. This one didn't seem ready for prime time. I've gone with a different brand for the replacement. 

Again, I hope this is helpful.

Good luck all.

Options

5 Posts

01-23-2013

United States

15 Signins

99 Page Views

• Views: 99
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Y500 Issues and post sales reps

2013-01-23, 15:37 PM
Sorry for the long OP.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms