Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Views: 53,991
Message 1 of 89

10 Reasons Why Not To Root Your Lenovo Phone

10 Reasons Why You Don't Need To Root Your New Lenovo Phone:

In a few words, rooting is about access to options that are not available in the original user interface provided by the manufacturer, a desire to remove unwanted pre-installed software, or overclocking the CPU to increase it's frequency beyond what the manufacturer intended.

The new flagship Lenovo phones running Vibe UI under Android Lollipop already include most the desired options even without rooting. The Vibe UI has settings that go much beyond what is available in Android Lollipop. Below are our 10 reasons why not to root your a new Lenovo phone.

(1) With the fast speed of processors in the new Lenovo phones it makes almost no sense to overclock your CPU. For example, the Vibe Z2 Pro has a quad-core processor on 2.5GHz that makes overclocking the CPU unnecessary. Overclocking makes some sense for single-core processors up to 1GHZ.

(2) With the permission control, you can individually control permissions for each application (e.g. access to camera, WLAN, data connection, send email, send SMS, sound recording, read contacts, get location, etc.). For each applications you can set the permissions for each feature to: Deny, Allow, or Ask.

(3) With the background app manager, apps will be prohibited from auto-starting in the background and will be force-closed when you turn off the display. This is in addition to the already described permission controls where you could remove individual permissions from each app.

(4) With the secure zone, that is exclusive on selected Lenovo phones (such as the Vibe Z2 Pro), you can manage and protect sensitive application and information very efficiently. The Secure Zone almost acts like having two different phones that are completely separated from each other.

(5) There is also the question of removing bloatware. Fortunately, Lenovo includes just few bloatware in their phones. Lenovo also allows users to disable all or most of the pre-installed apps. Country-specific bloatware is also not an issues as there is only a single version of the international firmware (ROW) outside of China.

(6) With the dialer options, you can also automatically block calls or text messages. You can also choose to automatically or manually recorded calls. The Vibe UI also has an option to alternate the function of the left physical button between recent apps and menu functions.

(7) With the smart scene, that is available in most Vibe UI devices running Android L, you can setup different scenario for the phone to automatically turn on or off some features (Bluetooth, WLAN, Network data, GPS, open app, brightness, airplane mode, etc) under specific circumstances (bind AP, schedule, NFC).

(8) With smart switch you can indulge in the ultimate power saving of your smartphone's battery for periods when you are not using the phone (e.g. during the night). The smart switch will let the phone use just a few functions like call, contacts, SMS, or clock for a period of time that you selected.

(9)  With battery saver, you can further improve your battery cycle, by reducing performance of the CPU, limiting most background data, and reducing the screen brightness. The battery saver can automatically activate itself when the battery level drops to below  5% or 15%.

(10) Finally, some users might claim that they want the real Android Lollipop experience. Lenovo developers also thought of that and allowed users of some flagship devices to switch to a Stock Android Lollipop UI as designed by Google. The phones with this feature inlcude Vibe Z2 Pro or S90 Sisley.

Furthermore, rooting can in some cases brick your phone, expose it to security risks, or affect your warranty. Let us know your views in the comment bellow. What options included in the Vibe UI do you find particularly useful? What additional options would you welcome in the future?

Note: Prepared with the contribution of @chili71 and @pat_box.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

chili71
SCSI Port
Views: 53,784
Message 2 of 89

Re: 10 Reasons Why Not To Root Your Lenovo Phone

Obviously, I agree with pat_box.

Personally, I own Vibe Z2 Pro and I don't need to root. Of course, it would be few things (backup, some app, etc), but I can leave without them. And it's not that I'm afraid or I don't have "the adventure spirit", but simply I do not need. I forgot to mention...all the phones that I own before Z2 were root, modified, updated manual, so I have some experiences and would have been easy to root this...

And additional options that would be complete in the feature by the developers may be these:

- some kind of backup in menu, with options like "Titanium Backup", for backup menu settings and data/settings of app

- other colors for different led notification

- option for smart way to keep the screen on when you look at it

- option for dark background in settings menu, it would be more visible

- option to use homebutton to wake up phone, by pressing 1-2 sec (like flash when display is on), if double tap will not be implemented again.

For owners of K920...don't forget to support this, with posts...

legio
What's DOS?
Views: 53,662
Message 3 of 89

Hi I have a lenovo vibe shot Chinese ROM full with bloatware and spyware trackware and the bad is that even if you disable those apps ( some can't be disabled) still pointless cause those apps have full control over your phone and they will restart themselves without your permission and because those apps came with factory system you cannot uninstall or if you try to do factory reset them are still there after and with any restriction apps you try can't do no restrictions to system apps so in this conditions I highly recommend root for this kind of phones and install a clear new rom
chili71
SCSI Port
Views: 53,617
Message 4 of 89

As you can see, at reason nr. 5, we specified that is the case of ROW version. Unfortunately, I heard that the China version is full of bloatware...so, root is needed...
Guru
Views: 53,578
Message 5 of 89

The description above only applies to the international version of the Lenovo phones (also know as ROW - rest of the world). There is only one version of the ROW user interface, which we find to be a great advantage. 

Note: Regarding the phones sold on the Chinese market they have a completely diferent user interface and very often also a different hardware that better fits the Chinese mobile networks and might not work well outside of China. Google is also block in China, therefore you won't be able to access most google services on a Chinese phone and there is no google app store in the Chinese phone. For all these reason Chinese phones are NOT SOLD outside of China, and people based outside of China should buy the ROW version of the phone. Unfortunatelly, some people buy the Chinese phones, root them and modify them, add unwanted software, and sell those phones online to customers outside of China. Unsurprisingly, phones that are modified in such a way have a bad performance and user interface.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

amoakoeugene98
Fanfold Paper
Views: 53,489
Message 6 of 89

Please for my problem is that after the update to 5.0.2 lollipop my Google play service is not working.
It pop-up a message unfortunately Google play service has stop.How can i slove this problem on my vibe z2 pro
chili71
SCSI Port
Views: 53,464
Message 7 of 89

Maybe you have China version ? If not, try with full reset.

rjobeid
Blue Screen Again
Views: 52,180
Message 8 of 89

LENOVO....will we ever get Marshmallow for K920????????????????

Please say yes!!!

ajaygupta2303
Punch Card
Views: 52,002
Message 9 of 89

Lenovo k3 note will get update for marshmellow??????

Please reply yes....
K3 note
K50a40_S327_160517_ROW
rjobeid
Blue Screen Again
Views: 51,997
Message 10 of 89

Absolutely brother.... No worries. K3 note will be getting marshmallow

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors