Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesK and Vibe Z Series Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

11-03-2015

Kazahstan

33 Signins

358 Page Views

• Views: 358
  • Message 21 of 104

Re: 10 Reasons Why Not To Root Your Lenovo Phone

2015-12-08, 18:56 PM

А по чему бы пользователям самим не решать нужен им рут или нет !!! И когда откроют загрузчик на VIBE SHOT

translate.google.com translation of above;

And why users themselves do not need to decide whether or not they Ruth !!! And when they open the boot to VIBE SHOT

Admin note; if you wish to post in a language other than this forum's language, English, by all means do but please provide an English translation for the benefit of the majority.  Other language forums can be found through the Help In Other Languages menu at the top of the forums.

Админ записка; если вы хотите опубликовать на языке, отличном от языка данного форума, английском, всеми средствами сделать, но, пожалуйста, представить английский перевод в пользу большинства. Другие разделы языка можно найти через меню Помощь на других языках в верхней форумах.

Options

7 Posts

01-03-2016

Missouri, USA

11 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 22 of 104

2016-01-03, 17:34 PM

In seeking better build quality, I purchased the k3 note from Everbuying a few months ago,

build VIBEUI_V2.5_1512_5.495.1_ST-K50-T5, for use in the US, using GoSmart/T-Mobile.

l purchased a second one a few weeks ago from Gearbest for another family member and although it is has the exact build/android version, it has slightly different software.  For the first phone, I have two versions of cleanmaster, english and chinese, which attempt to load at the same time.  The second phone does not have both versions nor does it have ultimate power saver or power saver help.

1. Since I do not have the update tab under device information, I gather that I must have a chinese model that was rooted by the retailer for sale in the US?  I will also see chinese writing under contact names and messenger for both phones.
  2. Since I can not uninstall the second version of cleanmaster in the first phone, I have no other recourse but to root the phone or deal with the minor exception.  There will likely be additional version problems unless I get the software directly from Lenovo.
  3. Although Lenovo Smart Assistant states there is a UI 2.8 available and it downloads, it always fails when it attempts to install.  Because I have a rooted phone, I will not be able to get any updates?
  4. If I were to root the phone to a ROW version, would the update from Lenovo work then?
Options

19 Posts

07-26-2015

United Arab Emirates

26 Signins

114 Page Views

• Views: 114
  • Message 23 of 104

2016-01-03, 17:39 PM
Regardless I have an unrooted phone and the installation keeps failing as well. I have the vibe z2 pro.
Options

2567 Posts

05-01-2010

United States of America

12784 Signins

147778 Page Views

• Views: 147778
  • Message 24 of 104

2016-01-03, 17:54 PM

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2006-2016 / Windows Insider MVP 2016-Present
I am not employed by Microsoft or Lenovo.

Using Browser Search to Find Your Answers In Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2016-01-18, 12:30 PM

As I've mentioned on another thread, I have an Indian version of the K3. I have not been able to root my phone, which the GB version - K3 T5 is able to do easily.

Why do I want to root my phone? Because of not just the bloat ware,  but the secret software which allows all sorts of software to be loaded onto my phone WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. There is so much junk on my phone, it behaves like a single core rather than 8!

Options

7 Posts

01-03-2016

Missouri, USA

11 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 26 of 104

2016-01-19, 15:44 PM

Update for item #3: On 1/18/16, I was able to get OS update.  I connected my phone to my laptop and and lenovo smart assistant application (on laptop) went through the same process but explained the memory space wasn't available. I inserted a 16GB SD card, where the 970mb file was transferred to by lenovo smart assistant.  I turned the phone off, then held both volumes buttons in while holding the power button and it updated to VIBEUI_V2.8_1544_5.192.1_ST_K50-T5 (previously on V2.5, Android 5.0, now Android 5.1).

So, it automatically got rid of some conflicting programs, allowed me to uninstall things like cleanmaster and DU battery/speed utilities.  Those utilities would sometimes erase important documents they considered junk.  It did add about 5 lenovo related apps which I may not uninstall but does offer the option to disable which removes the shortcut that you see on the screen and prevents the app from running.  Fine by me, so long as it doesn't run or appear.

Positive: I now have the update tab under device information.  Both phones can get updates by using smart assistant and imagine that will update to marshmallow when it becomes available in September.  Also, I can uninstall some apps that would run without permission.  More features are available in the notification area and I no longer have apps starting on their own.

Negative: Those 5 apps are all in Chinese and I can't understand a thing but can tell they are similar to an App Store.  I disabled all except for the VIBE update shortcuct. Google Play Store no longer works and has an error connecting to the server and will need to be rooted back into phone.  It allows you to uninstall Google Play Store but other older apps previously downloaded will also look for Google Play Store so they can update, thus resulting in an error.  So, I must be using the Chinese version where they don't use Google Play and why it will not run.  I will have to root in Google Play or flash an entire OS from needrom.  I hope to just add Google, I don't want all the other bloatware.  I will try rootjunky.com who has some good videos.

Options

2016-01-19, 18:05 PM
Having answers to our questions would be a start!
Options

7 Posts

01-03-2016

Missouri, USA

11 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 28 of 104

2016-01-20, 15:24 PM

My goal was to keep the advanced ROM or version 2.8 and add google play store. I liked two tutorials but I am not an IT guru.  I used this first video How to root and install Google Play Store on Lenovo K3 Note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ep3J3bS64

in combination with www.rootjunky.com.

The latter had newer files and the instruction seemed to go well but the reboot kept showing the 2.8 recovery screen, i.e., I didn't see CWM recovery tool when resetting (possibly because he was using 2.5).  Also, the ROM he eventually installs in another video, CYAN 12.1, had an interface I didn't care much for, especially the google search on the main screen.  Of course, you can find all kinds of modifications at needrom.com specific to this phone but I'll play with that the next snowstorm.  You really need some time to decide which modified UI you like.

Anyways, in the first video you add the CWM, then you simply put the SU and gapps file on an SD card, remove everything else, and install zip file from the SD card.  I was suprised how good it worked.  It installed SU then I installed the google play store.  All my other apps, such as youtube, netflix, worked again without showing the error about "not finding google play."  Anyways, I'm using a different music player due to Chinese version but very limited apps now and battery usage is great.  Fast and simple smartphone with nice interface.

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591
  • Message 29 of 104

2016-01-22, 7:10 AM

The international version of the phone do not have much or almost any bloatware they you can't disable or uninstall. The international version for Lenovo is one of the least bloatware version among top brands. The Chinese version is another story but that is specifically suited for the needs of Chinese customers in China.

If you have any software on the international phone that keeps loading other programs it is likely not from Lenovo. Just do the factory reset of the phone which should help you get rid of most or all non-Lenovo non-Original software. The most apps you can't disable or uninstall are actually from Google and they are put in the system folder by Google Android.

Indeed, if you start disabling google apps, it can happen that you get some errors for Google apps, like the Google App Store. Thus you need to be a bit careful which google apps to disable and which google apps to keep. If you are stuck do factory reset. I disabled a lot of google apps myself and freed a lot of memory, but some apps you must keep. 

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Options

2016-01-22, 13:55 PM

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I've noticed masses of Google-related stuff on my phone.

Are you aware of a list giving the absolute minimum number of modules that will still allow Google to run as normal?

There IS a piece of software on my phone which is non-erasable. It has gibberish for a name. I'm told that, once removed, the phone becomes a lot quicker and cleaner.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)