Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesK and Vibe Z Series Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Views: 2601
  • Message 1 of 14

Big Battery topic

2016-09-01, 18:12 PM

I see many people complain about battery life on the forum (and elsewhere).

I own this lenovo vibe K5 note now for more than a month and my battery also sucks (sarcasm).

Seriously... I had to load it more and more. So I decided to do a 'little' test for two days on my 3500mAh battery which I treated quite well from day one (good loading practises, mainly stick to the loader that came with it!)

What I did?

Flash wipe the phone. Get rid of all the bloatware by using the lenovo companion app and empty the sim tray. No SD card, no sim card.

For two (not so) boring days i played with the phone 'as is' from a 100℅ batt.

Guess what....

I didn't need the loader anymore... Hmmm I got so fed up study the stock apps (camera, youtube and file manager mainly) that at 32℅ I gave up.

It was MY OWN FAULT... I install bloatware too much hahaha

Seriously... Some apps I put on just ask too much or I expect too much. That is my conclusion.

Now I reset my phone again and will be more aware of what I really need to install and not.

I want to make a clean install as much as possible until the day comes I can do full root enabled partition backup's.

No more multiple user accounts, SD and dual sim card, stupid apps that want to run all the time and bring me adverts for cars that I will never buy, no more 3th party replacements for apps that google or lenovo already provided to me.

No more 100℅ screen brightness that is killing my eyes anyway.

Less widgets... and no more battery power bank (that came as a free gift with this phone).

My advise for you when u have a battery problem? Backup your data and photos and do as I did... Study ur phone for a day or two with only STOCK stuff.

My 2 cents,

Take care all!

(Phone now on 25℅ and I am tired, lenovo vibe beats me again. My compliments to the Lenovo people! Great work!)

Answer
Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

Re: Big Battery topic

2016-09-02, 11:05 AM

Very important information:

Use the charger and cable that came with your device!

Mine is 4.2volts exactly right for the type of cell that is in my phone.

But I got a ton of chargers in my collection that would fit by the connector but which would not charge the cell properly!

A good video about charging and cells you can find here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNmlxBXEqW0

[oldimg]jpg[/oldimg]

Also it explains you why it can be dangerous to not do it properly with all sorts of details.

I repeat: USE THE CHARGER THAT CAME WITH YOUR DEVICE AS OFTEN AS U CAN!!!! ☝☝☝☝

Replies(13)
Options

24 Posts

09-01-2016

India

54 Signins

272 Page Views

• Views: 272
  • Message 2 of 14

2016-09-01, 20:14 PM

That was a nice study iCQ , I will analyze with my pohone and post it  ,

lennovo claims below stats

• Type: 3500mAh (Li-ion Polymer)
  • Standby time: 4G: 364 hrs
  • Talktime: 2G: 33 hrs | 3G: 18 hrs

keeping the above numbers as base. Even if we consider 33 hrs of back up in normal usage I will be way happy but my K5 note case is not the same.

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2016-09-01, 20:37 PM

Thanks Siddu, ?

Of course my battery is fresh and new. And my usage of the last two days were not really "base" either. No sim no GPS no Bluetooth and also no SD card! Besides the lack of tons of android apps. ?

Also we have to keep in mind that in the "battery world" people cheat (what else is new).

It is hard to say what actual "normal use" is. And standby times are given to us under which circumstances? ?

Manufacturers all give high expectations and so does Lenovo as we costumers tend to compare specs without much further insight.

So I have to going to agree with you when you would come to the conclusion we not going to get two days of fun without loading! (Unless u become an experimental freak like I been).

Oh and thanks for upping these hard numbers! I couldn't find these specs that quickly.

Please share us more of your findings, apps, settings, tips and tricks or plain raw info and enjoy the day Mr. Hussain! ?

Answer
Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2016-09-02, 11:05 AM

Very important information:

Use the charger and cable that came with your device!

Mine is 4.2volts exactly right for the type of cell that is in my phone.

But I got a ton of chargers in my collection that would fit by the connector but which would not charge the cell properly!

A good video about charging and cells you can find here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNmlxBXEqW0

Also it explains you why it can be dangerous to not do it properly with all sorts of details.

I repeat: USE THE CHARGER THAT CAME WITH YOUR DEVICE AS OFTEN AS U CAN!!!! ☝☝☝☝

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2016-09-02, 11:42 AM

Use loader and cable supplied with your device!!! 

Check youtube: SAMSUNG NOTE 7 RECALL 

Use loader and cable supplied with your device!!! 

Options

1268 Posts

12-05-2014

Germany

1308 Signins

21591 Page Views

• Views: 21591
  • Message 6 of 14

2016-09-02, 23:01 PM

I want to thank you for doing your analysis and describing it so well. I was saying this for a long time. For most users who are complaining the battery is actually drained by 3rd party apps. 

For example, when Pokemon Go game went viral, we got so many complaints that the phone has a battery bug, while, in fact, it was the Pokemon Go using GPS and other resources.

Also, many people don't realize it, but some apps always track your GPS location, always wake up your phone. These are for example some "dating apps" that wanna know your location.

Also, I repeat this again and again, DO NOT USE battery optimizers or memory cleaners, because they drain your battery, the phone is optimized already, these apps drain the battery!

Also, I recommend, if you don't really need to do it, don't close the apps running in recent apps. Loading apps, they are loaded in RAM, if you close them, they need to reload and use battery.

Also, depending on your model, you could have options in the original software there to forbid apps running on the background, send you notifications, use GPS, use internet, etc. 

Finally, I do Settings > ... > Factory Reset my phone every 6 months or so, to make it clean, neat, and fast. After long periods, the phones have a lot of junk apps and mess there.

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2016-09-03, 2:01 AM

EDITED (sorry i fixed the link to the youtube video, somehow it got a private link)

A good video about charging and cells you can find here:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNmlxBXEqW0

I am aware that this is quite a technical video most people have a hard time following it. But this australian guy explains it VERY well. And we happen to have the same type of cells in our Lenovo phones (except thats the flat models). Also it have the same charge charactistics. And the same VOLTAGE (see your loader its v4.2 volts).

It explains when we charge we have 2 phase charging. I am sure the LENOVO loader does this too.

First phase it has to load with a fixed voltage of 1.7volts... and this has to be quite precise.

Using another cable would ruin it. A bad cheap thin cable will drop the voltage THUS extending the charge time THUS making the maximum load duration TOO LONG with all risks that comes with it. (thats why i added the samsung news)

The second phase is charge with a fixed mHa and the voltage can fary. Also a max of 4 hours charge time... this can ruin your battery!

I am not sure of whats with your Lenovo device, i'd love to see a Lenovo technician tell us a bit about this...
(i know they busy and expensive, they need to enjoy their free time as well!)
But i take a small guess here: ADVISE: do not charge your phone or tablet longer then 4 hours! If it is still not full maybe something goes wrong in the software or maybe somethings off with the temperature in your place. Just unplug it and empty your device and start a new proper charge cycle the next day (or so).

Beware it is a VERY COMPLEX technique. Developers try to make it as simple and solid as possible for us "stupid costumers". Software and circuits in our phones and tablets do their best to charge in several phases for the correct charging times as good as possible. But sometimes some things go wrong... what can go wrong?

1. -the room or place where you charge can be too hot or cold for some reason. Maybe the weather... or an airco. Or maybe you plugged in your charger close to a warm or cold object.

2. -the phone or tablet could be very warm by usage just before you charge it. Better power off your phone and let it rest for a while (15 mins would be fine) before you plug it in.

3. -many people (including me) sometimes keep the phone in the bed, under a pillow or such, when charging. The phone cannot cool off!

4. -phone covers (bad cheap ones) that can prevent your phone to cool down properly. Even sometimes block BLUETOOTH, GPS or other radio chips (like WIFI or UMTS)

5. -wrong cable, damaged cables. Same with the LOADER, wrong one, wrong voltage and no charging Intelligent chip inside. Always avoid those cheap no-brand chargers! It will look as if they work for a bit but they are killing your battery cell!

6. -powerbanks... oh man... try to avoid them

7. -car chargers... better not... sure there are a few good ones out there, but most suck. Check the Lenovo store they got a few maybe (else ask for it!)

8. -lastly but not the least... if you have bloatware (NOT TALKING ABOUT LENOVO PRE-INSTALLED APPS) that we install. Facebook app for example... they use your phone like crazy... your phone cannot get a "rest" and they are horrible while charging.

If you have alot of apps on your phone and you are not sure about their proper behaviour... charge your phone WHILE ITS OFF! 

We talking about extending your battery for a year or more!!!! Or downright preventing your phone (batt) to die or even BLOW UP. Now i havent heard any news about Lenovo devices blowing up... i know Lenovo for quite a few years and these people are SERIOUS about QUALITY and SAFETY i assure you!

Please read and share this with your friends and family, edit copy or whatever you want. But make sure you treat your device with care. Good charging practices will make you smile! :smileyhappy:

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2016-09-05, 9:45 AM

An important issue not discussed yet is of course CONNECTORS. As they became smaller and smaller they also became more fragile. Inside the device (female) and the (male) ones outside on the cable.

One has to make sure they stay clean and not stress them in the wrong way. Note how they feel when you put them in or out the first time you use it. You will maybe find other cables will go in more easy... they might not make proper contact.

Remember that you can brake your female connector in your phone or tablet trying to insert a powerbank cable or such. Prefer to use the ORIGINAL that came with your device!

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2016-09-06, 1:05 AM

This topic would not be complete without the help from Gaurav89
at the https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K-and-Vibe-Z-Series-Smartphones/Lenovo-K4-note-Charging-problem-while-mobile-is-ON/td-p/2276122 thread.

I was facing the same issue. I dropped an email to lenovo and they provided me with the following troubleshooting steps. Step no 1 worked for me Smiley Happy. Hope it help you as well

1. Open settings > apps > go to all apps > select reset app preference.
2. Check for the available system update in setting > about phone> system update

3. Check with safe mode
steps to get into safe mode -
-> Long press the power button.
-> Power off option will display on the screen.
-> Remove hand from the power button and long press the on the power off option displayed on the screen.
-> when you long press on the power off option displayed on the screen, it will ask for confirmation to get into safe mode,
-> Click on OK button

Please use your handset in safe mode for 24 hrs to 48 hrs

(To come out of safe mode, Restart/Reboot the device).

-> If issue does not persists in safe mode, then please come out of safe mode and uninstall the unwanted third party  application from your device

4. (If not resolved with the above steps) Open the dialler pad in the phone dial ####7777# this code is restore factory Settings > tap ok button phone automatically switch's off >  after one minute you can switch on your phone.

**Please note that if you do this, all user data will be deleted, such as images, songs, videos, contacts, messages, downloaded applications.
Before you perform above steps we request you to take a backup of your phone data and perform the troubleshooting steps.

Options

154 Posts

08-10-2016

Aland Islands

185 Signins

2601 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2016-09-06, 1:17 AM

Some loading stats of my Lenovo vibe k5 note (one month old, marshmallow) and i did not use any other charger or cable. Also i have my phone quite clean for most if the time:

Now it loads in 30 minutes up to 55%

Note: i let the phone die, go out of batt, before i recharge it... also i let it do a FULL CHARGE cycle (up to 100%) before i turn it on. Of course i cannot do this all the time but most of the time.

I have the phone on for whole day and i do fairly heavy use. BUT... no bad behaving apps that run in the background. When my phone is in my pocket all it does is check my mail, my line app status AND google gps location sharing with my wife (so she can see where i am and i can see where she is).

With this use i can go with the full batt for almost 2 days (about 40 hours).

But sometimes i play a game (3D game) or i make alot of photos... then it will go for a bit less then 24hrs.

If you do not reach these stats you have to setup your phone differently! Note i have SINGLE SIM and NO SD CARD. Bluetooth is on all the time, at home connected to keyboard, mouse and joystick.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms