Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo PhonesK8 [XT1902] Smartphones
All Forum Topics
Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Views: 669
  • Message 471 of 619

Re: Lenovo K8 Note - Auto Restart issue/Boot Loop

2019-08-28, 6:29 AM
The problem of restarting is not with Oreo update. Its an hardware issue with the motherboard. It just happened that the problem surfaced to all K8 note users at the same time when the Oreo update was released. The issue is with the Media Tek X23 SOC used inside the phone which over heats. Due to continuous heating and after using the phone for about 15 to 16 months the SOCs thermal sensors fail and due to that the phone freezes and goes into boot loop. The heating is mainly because of the Mali T880 MP4 GPU inside this Media Tek X23. You can confirm this and actually use your phone temporarily by cooling it down. The method i used is by putting your phone inside refrigerator for 10 mins and then turn it ON. You will be surprised that it boots into home screen and you can actually use the phone for some time. It doesn't matter which operating system you have currently installed, works both on Android Oreo & Nougat. After keeping it inside the refrigerator for 10 mins take it out and keep the phone on an Ice pack so that it continuous to stays cool even after been taken from the refirgerator. Install app CPUz and go to thermals, there you will see that all the sensors are OFF and there would be no readings. Surprisingly the phone still functions absolutely like normal till you have kept it on the ice pack and you can even watch Youtube or play games. The moment you take it away from the ice pack it will freeze and restart within a minute.
Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 472 of 619

2019-08-28, 6:29 AM

The problem of restarting is not with Oreo update. Its an hardware issue with the motherboard. It just happened that the problem surfaced to all K8 note users at the same time when the Oreo update was released. The issue is with the Media Tek X23 SOC used inside the phone which over heats. Due to continuous heating and after using the phone for about 15 to 16 months the SOCs thermal sensors fail and due to that the phone freezes and goes into boot loop. The heating is mainly because of the Mali T880 MP4 GPU inside this Media Tek X23. You can confirm this and actually use your phone temporarily by cooling it down. The method i used is by putting your phone inside refrigerator for 10 mins and then turn it ON. You will be surprised that it boots into home screen and you can actually use the phone for some time. It doesn't matter which operating system you have currently installed, works both on Android Oreo & Nougat. After keeping it inside the refrigerator for 10 mins take it out and keep the phone on an Ice pack so that it continuous to stays cool even after been taken from the refirgerator. Install app CPUz and go to thermals, there you will see that all the sensors are OFF and there would be no readings. Surprisingly the phone still functions absolutely like normal till you have kept it on the ice pack and you can even watch Youtube or play games. The moment you take it away from the ice pack it will freeze and restart within a minute.

Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 473 of 619

2019-08-28, 6:36 AM

No, this is not at all a software issue. Its an Hardware issue with SOC on the motherboard. I have even tried downgrading to the 1st Nougat Frimware that the phone came with and even after downgrading from Oreo to Nougat the problem still persist. If you wish to use you phone temporarily inorder to take the back up then put it inside the refirgerator or freezer and cool it for 10 minutes after that take an ICE pack and keep the phone on top of it so that it stays cool and you can then turn it on and go to home screen and take all your back ups. Remember it will only work till you keep it cool, the moment you take it off the ice pack it will again boot loop.

I still have to try baking /Rebalding the motherboard in oven and see if this idea works or not, i can only confirm it after i give it a try today. Baking the motherboard inside the oven basically melts the solder and rejoins the connections if they are loose. Most of the time this method works well for Computer GPU cards, i will have to check it on this motherboard and see if it works or not.

Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 474 of 619

2019-08-28, 8:15 AM

The Media Tek X23 CPU is the issue, since you cannot replace the CPU on your own hence you will need to Swap the entire motherboard. I would suggest before buying a new motherboard try the Oven baking method, you will not loose anything by doing it.  Set the Oven on Baking mode and set the temperature to 230-250 degrees celcius and bake it for 15 minutes. Let the Mother board cool down to room temperature and put it back to seek if it works.

Options

3 Posts

08-26-2019

India

5 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 475 of 619

2019-08-28, 11:11 AM

Update me your results. Then i will try. Thanks a lot. . 

Options

93 Posts

09-07-2017

India

456 Signins

4224 Page Views

• Views: 4224
  • Message 476 of 619

2019-08-28, 16:53 PM

Dear CharleneBG,

Maybe you have found the culprit at last. I am highly exited to hear the result of your baking the motherboard experimernt. If it is a success several thousends of users can use the phone once again. You should be rewarded by Lenovo. Thanks a lot in advance bro. 

Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 477 of 619

Re: Lenovo K8 Note - Auto Restart issue/Boot Loop (SOLVED - Bake the Motherboard inside the Oven)

2019-08-29, 3:26 AM

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED

SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS

IT IS 100% WORKING NOW, THE PROBLEM OF RESTARTING AND BOOT LOOP HAS GONE COMPLETELY!

To all of my fellow Lenovo K8 note users if you are facing with the problem of boot loop, freezing and constant restarting of your phone then its the problem with the motherboard and not the Oreo update. Yesterday i was able to used the phone temporarily by cooling it in the refrigerator that gave me the hint that there is some loose connection or dry solder due to which the phone was not working. Mainly this loose connection must have happened due to over heating of Media Tek X23 CPU. 

So i decided to do the rebalding soldering of the motherboard. Now the right way to do it is using the Hot Air Station, but if you dont have it then you can even bake the motherboard in oven. Follow the steps below

1) Carefully open the back and disconnecte the flex cables for Battery, volume button, LCD and Daughter USB charge boards (Watch some Youtube Videos Online)

2) Unscrew the Motherboard and take it out from the casing. 

3) Remove the metal sheilds covering the CPU, there will be 4 sheilds but only 2 of them are removable, the other 2 are soldered to the motherboard so dont try to remove it if you dont have Hot Air Station.

4) Heat the IC underneath the shields with Hot Air Station, If you dont have Hot Air station then put the mother board on a ceramic or non conductive plate and then place it inside the Oven for Baking. !!!! WARNING DO NOTMICROWAVE IT !!!! You need to use the setting of your Oven similar to what you would use for Bakin breads.

5) The Oven should be Pre heated to 230 Celcuis before you put the motherboard.

6) Set the timer to 10 to 15 minutes and let it bake 

7) Once the baking time is over, then let the Motherboard cool inside the oven untill is cool to touch.

8) Put Heat sink compound on top of the IC/CPU and Metal Sheild plates

9) Reassemble everything and test if it works.

10) Dont forget to give my reply a like if it works for you, All the Best!!!

I have attached some photos of the motherboard with some instructions

Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 478 of 619

2019-08-29, 5:16 AM

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS IT IS 100% WORKING NOW, THE PROBLEM OF RESTARTING AND BOOT LOOP HAS GONE COMPLETELY! To all of my fellow Lenovo K8 note users if you are facing with the problem of boot loop, freezing and constant restarting of your phone then its the problem with the motherboard and not the Oreo update. Yesterday i was able to used the phone temporarily by cooling it in the refrigerator that gave me the hint that there is some loose connection or dry solder due to which the phone was not working. Mainly this loose connection must have happened due to over heating of Media Tek X23 CPU.  So i decided to do the re-balding soldering of the motherboard. Now the right way to do it is using the Hot Air Station, but if you don't have it then you can even bake the motherboard in oven. Follow the steps below 1) Carefully open the back and disconnect the flex cables for Battery, volume button, LCD and Daughter USB charge boards (Watch some YouTube Videos Online) 2) Unscrew the Motherboard and take it out from the casing.  3) Remove the metal shields covering the CPU, there will be 4 shields but only 2 of them are removable, the other 2 are soldered to the motherboard so don't try to remove it if you don't have Hot Air Station. 4) Heat the IC underneath the shields with Hot Air Station, If you don't have Hot Air station then put the mother board on a ceramic or non conductive plate and then place it inside the Oven for Baking. !!!! WARNING DO NOT MICROWAVE IT !!!! You need to use the setting of your Oven similar to what you would use for Baking breads. 5) The Oven should be Pre-heated to 230 Celsius before you put the motherboard. 6) Set the timer to 10 to 15 minutes and let it bake  7) Once the baking time is over, then let the Motherboard cool inside the oven until is cool to touch. 8) Put Heat sink compound on top of the IC/CPU and Metal Shield plates 9) Reassemble everything and test if it works. 10) Don't forget to give my reply a like if it works for you, All the Best!!! I have attached some photos of the motherboard with some instructions on Lenovo Forum, Go to page 45 on the below link https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K8-XT1902-Smartphones/Lenovo-K8-Note-Auto-Restart-issue-Boot-Loop/td-p/4406779/page/45

Options

72 Posts

08-28-2019

United States of America

77 Signins

669 Page Views

• Message 479 of 619

सॉल्वड सॉल्वड - रिस्टार्टिंग / बूट लूप मुद्दा, मदरबोर्ड को एक ओवन में सेंकना

2019-09-03, 6:42 AM

सॉल्वड को सॉल्व किया

सफलता सफलता

आईटी अब 100% काम कर रहा है, पुनर्स्थापना और बहुत दूर का लाभ पूरा हो गया है!

मेरे सभी साथी लेनोवो K8 पर ध्यान दें, यदि आप बूट लूप की समस्या से जूझ रहे हैं, तो आपके फोन की फ्रीजिंग और लगातार रिस्टार्टिंग होती है, फिर मदरबोर्ड के साथ समस्या और ओरेओ अपडेट नहीं। कल मैं फोन को अस्थायी रूप से रेफ्रिजरेटर में ठंडा करके उपयोग करने में सक्षम था जिसने मुझे संकेत दिया कि कुछ ढीला कनेक्शन या सूखा मिलाप है जिसके कारण फोन काम नहीं कर रहा था। मुख्य रूप से यह ढीला कनेक्शन मीडिया टेक X23 सीपीयू के ओवर हीटिंग के कारण हुआ होगा।

इसलिए मैंने मदरबोर्ड की रीबेलिंग सोल्डरिंग करने का फैसला किया। अब इसे करने का सही तरीका हॉट एयर स्टेशन का उपयोग करना है, लेकिन अगर आपके पास यह नहीं है, तो आप मदरबोर्ड को ओवन में भी सेंक सकते हैं। नीचे दिए गए चरणों का पालन करें

1) बैक को सावधानी से खोलें और बैटरी, वॉल्यूम बटन, एलसीडी और बेटी यूएसबी चार्ज बोर्ड, फ्रंट और बैक कैमरा के लिए फ्लेक्स केबल्स को डिस्कनेक्ट करें। 3.5 मिमी हेड फोन जैक और माइक से रबर आवास, सेल्फी कैमरा पर प्लास्टिक लेंस चमक को कम करने के लिए अन्यथा पिघल जाएगा (कुछ Youtube वीडियो ऑनलाइन देखें)

2) मदरबोर्ड को खोलना और आवरण से बाहर निकालना।

3) सीपीयू को कवर करने वाले धातु के ढाल को हटा दें, 4 ढालें ​​होंगी लेकिन उनमें से केवल 2 ही हटाने योग्य हैं, अन्य 2 मदरबोर्ड पर टांके लगाए जाते हैं इसलिए यदि आपको हॉट एयर स्टेशन नहीं है तो इसे हटाने की कोशिश न करें।

4) हॉट एयर स्टेशन के साथ ढाल के नीचे आईसी को गर्म करें, यदि आपके पास हॉट एयर स्टेशन नहीं है, तो मदर बोर्ड को सिरेमिक या गैर-प्रवाहकीय प्लेट पर रखें और फिर बेकिंग के लिए ओवन के अंदर रखें। !!! चेतावनी देने के लिए यह नहीं है !!! आपको अपने ओवन की सेटिंग का उपयोग करने की आवश्यकता है जो आप बेकिंग ब्रेड के लिए उपयोग करेंगे।

5) मदरबोर्ड लगाने से पहले ओवन को 230 सेल्सियस तक गरम किया जाना चाहिए।

6) टाइमर को 10 से 15 मिनट तक सेट करें और इसे बेक होने दें

7) एक बार बेकिंग का समय समाप्त हो जाए, तो मदरबोर्ड को ओवन के अंदर ठंडा होने दें ताकि छूने के लिए ठंडा हो।

8) IC / CPU और मेटल शील्ड प्लेट के ऊपर हीट सिंक कंपाउंड लगाएं

9) सब कुछ फिर से इकट्ठा करें और अगर यह काम करता है तो परीक्षण करें।

10) अगर आप के लिए काम करता है, तो यह मेरे जवाब देना न भूलें, ऑल द बेस्ट !!!

मैंने कुछ निर्देशों के साथ मदरबोर्ड की कुछ तस्वीरें संलग्न की हैं
[url]https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/K8-XT1902-Smartphones/K8-Note-Motherboard-Failure-Issue-Very-high-and-Lenovo-is-simply/m-p/4514953#M31221[/url]

Options

66 Posts

08-23-2017

India

186 Signins

1074 Page Views

• Views: 1074
  • Message 480 of 619

Re: Lenovo K8 Note - Auto Restart issue/Boot Loop (SOLVED - Bake the Motherboard inside the Oven)

2019-09-03, 11:06 AM

So you mean convection mode? coz that's the mode you bake bread and that's one mode that allows metal inside a microwave too...

Cold thing, yes even I noticed that when your surrounding is cooler the phone works... So I kept it on the floor as my floor as it's quite cold..

Really nice that you found this out...

Now I'm thinking what to do, as I don't know how but 2 days back my Lenovo K8 note started working automatically... Sequence of what happened that day..

Tried charging twice, stopped at 4% and some other % due to power outage.. Then kept overnight to charge.. Morning it was 100%.. Turned it on and it continued to work.. Works now too.. Got uptime of 14hrs once (without usage, stand by only and all apps disabled but wifi connected)

Should I try this convection thing is or not.. Really confused and btw.. Isn't 230 a bit high temperature?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms