Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JEFF32768
Paper Tape
Views: 159
Message 1 of 2

Is My New Legion Cube Defective?

I'm stumped!  I have a new Lenovo Legion C730.  It's a fabuloius gaming machine with more horsepopwer on paper than I need... but it will not work.  My intent is to run the X-PLANE-11 flight simulator.  I can run the app on my older Lenovo Think Center M58p.  It's really not up to the task and that's why I bought the C730.     So far, the new machine experience is very disappointing.  The application will freeze or hang radomly almost every flight.  Sometimes it hangs within seconds.  Usually the freeze happens after about 10 minutes of "flight".  At that time the display image is frozen, the internal fans accellerate, the keyboard and mouse are inoperative.  There are no clues left behind in the event logs.  the only solution is a cold reboot via holding down the power button.  Not good.  The machine passes the Intel and Vantage diagnostices.  I have monitored with HWMonitor and the CPU temps and voltages are unremarkable.  What might be goining on?  Do I need to send this unit back?  I have requested assistance via eMail but those support requests apparently go nowhere:  I get a blank email response and then that's the end of it.  Has anyone got any clues to this technical issue, or to whether or not Lenovo has any support?

Highlighted
JEFF32768
Paper Tape
Views: 106
Message 2 of 2

Re: Is My New Legion Cube Defective?

Eureka!  I may have a solution! 

The concensus is that the Legions have a cooling problem.  I note that even as core temps report seriously rising temps, the internal fans (in my unit) do not increase rotation speed and we have no way to alter the fan speeds.  That's the root of the problem.  When the processor gets too hot..  the PC hangs.  During the running of a complex and taxing progam like the flight simulator... the processor gets too hot.

The machine is nice and quiet... too quiet.  until it crashes.   Then finally, the fans start to race.   

But, we can pull in the reins on the Intel Core i7-9700K microprocessor!  The secret is to enter the BIOS utility and DISABLE the TURBO BOOST feature.  Turbo Boost is enabled by default.  It's claim to fame is that it is a processor controlled form of overclocking.  Under Turbo Boost the processor is supposed to apply a boost when needed and to do so well within the safe operating envelope of the processor design.  But, it must be expecting more effective temperature control.

The BIOS utility can be entered by holding down the F1 key during the front end of the bootup process. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals