Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
Message 1 of 17 (2,120 Views)

Idea Centre B310 Failure to find DVD drive

I have recently purchased the B310.  Within a week the DVD drive completely disappeared.  Used the Microsoft fix Mats_Run.dvd.exe which always says "no optical drive detected".  If I shutdown and restart, the drive is usually seen but will disappear again, usually after doing another task on the computer.  The machine has been returned to supplier for a complete system clean reinstall but after a week, the problem has returned.  When visible, the details are as follows:

Slimtype DVDADS8A4S

Device type:        DVD/CD-Rom drives

Manufacturer:     (Standard CD-ROM drives)

Driver version:    6.1.7601.17514

File Details:

Driver Files:         C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys

File version:         6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm090713-1255)

I have Googled the problem and it seems to be a common one!  Please, can anyone help and give advice how to solve this exasperating problem!!!

Former Employee
Message 2 of 17 (2,076 Views)

Re: Idea Centre B310 Failure to find DVD drive

hey formulaoz,

i would suggest getting in contact with the service center as I do believe that your B310 is still under warranty.

http://www.lenovo.com/contact/uk/en/

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
Message 3 of 17 (1,975 Views)

I have the same Problem. After restore of the system nothing changed.

I Send the IdeaCentre B310 to the (german) service. It came back after 4,5 weeks!

2 Days later, the drive again disappeared - first the Drive D: then the hardware device - gone.

what to do - throw it our of the windows- waiting again 4 weeks to get the crub back....?

warranty dosn't change the problem, that i can't work with the system...only waiting for service that doesn't help.

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 17 (1,966 Views)

Hi slanapatam, Lenovo picked my computer up and returned it (UK) within three weeks.  The first time they had it they changed the DVD drive allegedly.  This time they replaced the Mainboard (Code 11012742) nd boards (Code 20002432 possibly to do with the microphone and camera not working.  It has worked ok for 8 days so far fingers crossed it will continue to work.  They forgot to re input my windows serial number which I accidently noticed-so I re inputted it.  Widows 7 update Service Pack 1 refuses to instal which seems commonplace from my reading of the "Windows seven forum" .  I will live with that-**bleep** microsoft can seldom get things right.  I would certainly suggest you request a mainboard change from Lenove Service Centre and quote me. Otherwise I am happy with the computer just hope it does not lose the DVD again-will let you know. Best regards "formulaoz"

Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 17 (1,923 Views)

Well, a few weeks have passed since getting my B310 back from the service department and I'm afraid the same thing is happening again!  The DVD works and is seen in Device Manager, then disappears without warning.  Sometimes it will reappear after a simple reboot, other times I have to a System Restore.  I have spoken to Customer Service, all they can offer is to take back the computer once again and look at it.  I have asked for a complete replacement, which has been refused.  I have been without the computer for 6 weeks since I bought it in March.  I am at my wits end, every time the problem seems solved, back it comes again!  I am left with a computer which I cannot rely on and I am too scared to put all my data on it.  Any other suggestions would be much appreciated-I cannot believe there are only two of us with this problem!

Fanfold Paper
Message 6 of 17 (1,542 Views)

Hi Slanapatam I have the same problem from new did Lenovo manage to fix your problem of losing the DVD drive? I would appreciate a reply thanks formulkaoz from the forum
Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 17 (1,529 Views)

Hi Again, in desparation I removed the rear cover, removed one screw holding the DVD drive in and slid the unit out so it detached from the fixed cable. I gently reconnected and disconnected it several times. On re-assembling and switch on the DVD symbol returned and has remained for 24 hrs so far. Fingers crossed I wont lose it again!!! Will let you know if this is a permanent solution. My one fear is that the next Windows update will cause me to lose the DVD again. formulaoz.
Paper Tape
Message 8 of 17 (1,522 Views)

in my case, i sent the lenovo again to the service - this time they changed the DVD drive and since then it worked. It was a hardware problem. If it was only a loose cable i don't know, but You seem to have solved Your  problem. Goog luck!

Fanfold Paper
Message 9 of 17 (1,520 Views)

Thanks for the update, let's hope we continue to enjoy our computers with no further problems.

Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 17 (1,504 Views)

Serge I wonder if you could advise me the actual functions of F1 to F12 on my idea centre b310 wireless keyboard? Thank you in advance formulaoz.
Top kudoed Authors