08-01-2016

NA

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 1 of 4

Ideacentre A520 Windows Activation Issue

2016-08-01, 6:20 AM

I was gifted a brand new Lenovo Ideacentre A520 last October 2013. Windows 8.1 Build 9600 was pre-installed.

Just 2 months ago (around May 2016), an Activate Windows 8 notification screen appeared. I've no idea why this started popping up and I'm 100% sure my unit and all its contents are genuine.

Whenever I click 'activate online' the application turns into a white full screen window with no text. All you can do is close the window. Which leaves me with entering the activation key manually instead. But I don't know where I can find it. I searched the box and can't find the key listed anywhere. Does anyone know where I could find my activation key and does anyone know why this happened to my computer? I don't recall tinkering with the system. Although I do remember getting a Windows 10 Update notification every now (which I always postpone), then my computer froze and the Activate Windows screen first appeared. I don't know if the two are related. I also noticed that when you click "Activate Windows" from the PC Settings, it doesn't open whenever the internet is connected.

I just want to fix this because I'm really annoyed that the Activate Windows screen opens up half an hour. It's hard to work with it.

Solved! See the solution
Options

11489 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7016 Signins

739684 Page Views

• Views: 739684
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Ideacentre A520 Windows Activation Issue

2016-08-01, 20:45 PM

Hi StudioVAC , 

Welcome to the Community Forums. 

Product keys from OEM (starting from windows 8 onwards) are embedded on the machine as same reason why the microsoft stickers no longer show the 25 digit codes and activated directly once connected to the servers. 

Internally some softwares are being used to extract the keys by other means such as here. To know more of the original keys review here

It maybe that keys are compromised as reasons why notifications are showing or problems with how the updates being handled . Verify original keys and its status from the system properties , back up important files just in case it would block your access and check your options to prevent such update notification as shown here

Update us how it goes . 

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

08-01-2016

NA

4 Signins

36 Page Views

• Views: 36
  • Message 3 of 4

2016-08-05, 3:50 AM

Thank you so much for this! I was able to retrieve my Activation Key. When I 1st entered my key into the text field, Windows kept saying that the key doesn't work but after a few tries (and connecting to the internet) it finally did. Thank you!

Options

11489 Posts

11-30-2015

PH

7016 Signins

739684 Page Views

• Views: 739684
  • Message 4 of 4

2016-08-05, 13:33 PM

Hi StudioVAC , 

Greetings. 

Good to see that everything now goes fine with the activation. 

I usually email myself of all my product key or write it down on my personal note kept handy for future use.

Please don't hesitate to visit our community for your queries and sharing your thoughts with fellow members at anytime. 

Best luck to all your endeavors. 

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete