Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avalx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 328
Message 1 of 4

B550 DVD drive dead?

I have an Ideacentre B550 All-in-One Touch desktop computer and suddenly the DVD drive stopped working. I can not read nor write anything (CD and DVD).

I've tried the solution from MS (http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems) but all I get is report that the drive is not readable and "not fixed" status.

I also wanted to reinstall drivers but could not find the drivers on the Lenovo support site.

Can I try something else or does this mean that the drive is really dead?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 311
Message 2 of 4

Re: B550 DVD drive dead?

Hi Avalx,

Welcome to Lenovo Community!

As per the query we understood that you are facing issue with DVD drive not working in your B550 desktop.

As you have mentioned that DVD drive not reading or writing, check in BIOS if the DVD drive is detected: go to BIOS, select boot option and check if the DVD drive is in the list.

Also check if the DVD drive has power by pressing the eject button and observing the drive activity light.

Also try to check with different CD/DVD s. Also try to clean the DVD tray and check for the issue. Make sure the DVD is seated after cleaning.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,       

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

avalx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 305
Message 3 of 4

Thank you for your reply.

I didn't mention in my post but I've already tried everything that you suggest with no success.

The drive is visible in BIOS and Windows Device Management console and has power. When I insert  a CD or DVD there is also a quick green light activity indication on the drive (spin up?) but then nothing happens. This is the same with blank CD/DVD or the one with data.

I also checked for any dust on the tray but it looks OK to me - I don't know how to do any other cleaning.

Do you have any other ideas how to check the drive more?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 283
Message 4 of 4

Hi Avalx,

As you have mentioned that after the troubles hooting the issue still persist, then try to run the “Microsoft fix it application” from the Microsoft website and check for the issue.

Hope this helps. Do post back if issue persists!

Best regards,       

Ashwin.S

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals