Options

2 Posts

05-26-2015

Oklahoma

4 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 1 of 2

Brand New B50-30 Touch AIO Recovery Media Creation Help!

2015-05-26, 20:15 PM

Hello,

I just bought this All in One PC yesterday (LENOVO B50 - F0AU008FUS) and need some help. In the past, the first thing a pre-manufactured computer has done upon being booted up the first time is to ask me to create recovery media (DVDs or USB), almost to the point of annoyance. But with this PC, I cannot find the option anywhere. There is the One Key Recovery program, but it will only allow me to make a backup to my C:\ drive or restore the hidden factory image (also on the C:\ drive). Both of these options are fine unless something happens to the C:\ drive or if I decide to do a clean install of Windows. There is no way for me to create my own backup on an external drive either. Upon reading the various posts and Knowledgebase articles, it seems that if the PC had come with Windows 7, I could easily create my own DVDs to use in case of catastrophe but I cannot find anything about doing it in Windows 8.1. In fact, the only thing I can find that related to my PC is an article suggesting that I pay to have Lenovo mail a set to me. That can't be right, right? Unfortunately, most of the support articles listed for my computer don't even apply to my computer as they are for systems shipped with Windows 7 pre-installed and this PC came with 8.1.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to how I can create my own set of recovery DVDs? This is all new to me as I built my last computer and last time I bought a pre-manufactured PC, they all came with a plethora of recovery Discs, operating system discs, and more paperwork than I use in doing my taxes.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Options

773 Posts

06-20-2011

US

4290 Signins

192161 Page Views

• Views: 192161
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Brand New B50-30 Touch AIO Recovery Media Creation Help!

2015-05-26, 21:01 PM

Hi nafnoid, welcome to the forum.  :smileyhappy:

Under Win 8.1, you should create the USB Recovery Media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

In step 7, I always choose "not to delete" the recovery partition on the system, after creating the USB.

Page 25 of your user manual decribes the new Lenovo Rescue System:

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_b40-b50_ug_v1.0_win81_en_r_online_20140624.pdf

When using the Rescue System app, if you have an external hard drive plugged in to your USB port, the software will allow you to back up the system to it. Still, you should be doing weekly/monthly backups of your data files, or at least a monthly System Image.

In my opinion, an good external hard drive, is a "must have" to do your weekly/monthly data backups. I also use the built in Windows File History.

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete