Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mobilegreg
What's DOS?
Views: 2,208
Message 1 of 6

C460 - Bios password reset

I just purchased a used c460 and discovered it has an administration passowrd in the bios. How do I go about restoring the bios so I can restore the computer to be able to use it. As of now, all I cand dobos boot from the hd into a windows she'll program.

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,187
Message 2 of 6

Re: C460 - Bios password reset

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

The simplest solution would be to contact the previous owner, if known, and ask them.

Otherwise you could try removing the motherboard battery to clear the CMOS, but that will require a little disassembly.  With the battery removed from the motherboard, press the Power On button for 15 seconds to discharge any residual electrical charge on the motherboard to clear the CMOS which in turn should remove any BIOS passwords..  The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual for your reference.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_c460_hmm_20131107.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

goldwelp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,876
Message 3 of 6

I have a C460 that has the same issues. The Bios have a Admin password and i cant remember what it is.

There doesnt seem to be a jumper w 3 posts on my board.

I can't seem to find the instructions for the board either. It has a few numbers on it.

(1P)90005399

Can anyone tell me how to reset the bios and clear the password? I have tired the above listed and its not working.

Thank you

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,861
Message 4 of 6

Welcome to the Lenovo Community goldenwelp !

If removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button didn't work and you do not have any CMOS jumpers on the motherboard, the next thing I would look for is two contacts on the motherboard labeled CMOS.  There was a posting a while back from another member who was able to clear the BIOS passwords using those contacts with a different Lenovo model.  Please review this thread for additional information.....

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-A-B-C-N-S-Flex-Horizon/Lenovo-A310-how-to-clear-CMOS/m-p/2026790...

Please be advised that the shorting out of the contacts is done so at your own risk.  I don't own any of the discussed models nor have I had personal experience using the CMOS contacts on those motherboards.

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

goldwelp
Paper Tape
Views: 1,852
Message 5 of 6

There is a 6 pin jumper on my board with the same numbers as the one you referred me to.

The pin isnt in the same spots as that post.

CN4841 

1 - 2

? - ?

? - ?

Thank you for your assistance!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,835
Message 6 of 6

Since the jumper block isn't clearly marked as being the "CMOS" jumper, I would be concerned as to what actually the jumper controls.  Jumping different pins may have an unknown effect if it is not the CMOS jumper block. 

If it follows the standard pin assignments, the pins would be numbered like this.....

CN4841

1 *             2

5               6

With the computer unplugged, you could try removing the jumper from pins 1 & 3, then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.  Then re-install the jumper, plug in the machine and try powering it up to see if the issue is resolved.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors