cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrsMVP
Paper Tape
Views: 4,575
Message 1 of 80

C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

Hello,

I have some issues with my c540 all in one touch. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a burning smell coming from inside the pc, and then a little smoke. There was also a clicking sound from the speakers after I turned it on. Of course I turned it off, and unplugged it all. I did some research then on my other pc, and found that this was/is an ongoing issue within this particular pc. Isn't anything being done about this, to ensure people don't end up being killed? Luckily, I caught it in time, and was able to purchase another sata cable on ebay, but I shouldn't have had to do that. What if I wasn't home? The whole house could have burned down, and our pets would have been here!!

Again, I bought another sata cable, but I'm really on edge, fearing it will happen again. Smiley Sad

I also have another question - where can I find a list of parts that are compatible with this all in one? I want to replace the ethernet card, if possible, as it's not very good, neither is the wifi.

I would like to have someone within lenovo comment on the burned cable issue, and please don't say you don't know anything about it, it is apparently a huge and widespread issue.

20160809_224511.JPGYou can see the melted bit. This all happened after only being on for about 1-2 minutes.20160809_224651.JPGThis is the burned part on the internal metal casing near the MB. I scraped it, to see how bad it was.

MrsMVP
Paper Tape
Views: 4,437
Message 2 of 80

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

No one else has this issue?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 4,424
Message 3 of 80

Hello and welcome to the community,

Have you / were you able to open a service case on this issue please?  If not could you please send me the following information by private message and I will open one for you.

Full Name;
Telephone No.;
email address;
System Type;
System s/n;

Date of purchase;
Case Numbers;

Thanks in advance

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

rzawora
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,317
Message 4 of 80

Ironically, I do have the same exact problem as you. It happened just a week or two after yours did too by looking at the dates. Mine "melted down" on the 13th, but I just got a chance to take a look at it today. What a piece of crap connector. I'm glad I was home when it happened...who knows how bad it could have gotten. I'm quite shocked to see all of the instances of this happening and not even so much as a warning from Lenovo. I fixed mine by soldering on a standard power connections and then used a standard SATA cable, eliminating that connector. I thought about getting a replacement off eBay but who's to say I won't have the same problem with that one? Anyway, I'd like to see Lenovo at least warn people of the defective connector.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 4,254
Message 5 of 80

Hello and welcome to the Community,

I would ask the same of you as I have MrsMVP, have you / were you able to open a service case?  If not please send me the information requested in my above post by private message.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

rzawora
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,214
Message 6 of 80

I did PM you the requested information. I hope you got everything. Like I said in the PM, if you need more information or pictures, just email me. Thanks Andy!
Poundnote
Paper Tape
Views: 4,088
Message 7 of 80

My Lenovo C540 started clicking and smoking and the same thing happened to my daughters machine both machines were bought 3 years ago within 2 weeks of each other and luckily it was at the weekend when we were home or goodness knows what would have happened seems to be common fault and shouldn't Lenovo do something about it before someone is killed imagine if we were all in bed when it happened.

cehaas
What's DOS?
Views: 4,069
Message 8 of 80

I have had the same issue with my C540 all in one.  When the power switch is pushed the computer speakers make a clicking sound for several seconds and then the machine powers down without booting up.  There is also a smell of hot wires/electrical fire.  There is brown residue consistent with an electrical short/fire on the metal frame near the HDD connector very similar to the pictures posted by MrsMVP.  Last year the HDD in this machine crashed and was replaced.  The current HDD has been tested and is fine.  This computer is almost exactly three years old and has been problematic since new.  Last week I purchased a new Dell all in one since having a functional computer in my home office is critical.

I would like to rehab this computer if possible for a non-critical use, but not burn down my house in the process.  Has a solution to this problem been identified, and what is recommended to safely put this computer back in use?

The computer is a Lenovo C540 - machine type 10110

S/N:  ************

Configuration Number:  57317019

Date of Inspection:  2013/10/25

Thank you.

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect owner from its unwanted use.

debis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,881
Message 9 of 80

I bought a Lenovo c540 on Amazon in Dec. of 2013, started using it in Jan. of 2014. No problems until about 3 weeks ago, the machine started clicking and making a static kind of noise, with a burning smell. The screen is blank with no activity whatsoever. I was afraid it would start on fire so turned it off but when I try to restart it the same thing happens. Is there any way to fix this? Lenovo support would only tell me it's out of warranty, well ok but do I have to pitch it in the trash? I paid enough for it that I would like to get a little more use out of it if possible. All the other computers I have owned lasted forever until I couldn't upgrade them anymore. This is put of the ordinary but if it isn't fixable I would like to know that as well. Very disappointed in this product as well as the (non) customer service of this company.

Admin note; merged into thread, subject edited

leav320
Paper Tape
Views: 3,871
Message 10 of 80

I had the exact same issue on Monday.  Clicking sound, lots of smoke.  Pulled the back pannel and found the burnt HHD cable.

Has Andy/Lenovo helped any of you?

My model is:

Lenovo C540 - machine type 10110

S/N:  CS********

Configuration Number:  57317019

Date of Inspection:  2013/06/17

Thanks,

Doug

Admin note; serial number edited to avoid possible abuse

Top Kudoed Authors