cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
debis
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,327
Message 11 of 97

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

I have the same issue and I did open a case with Lenovo on October 6, and as of today have not heard one word from them. I believe it is a manufacturing fault or equipment failure and they should at the very least have a recall for safety reasons. I don't think I will ever hear back from them and you can't contact anyone in this company, that is why I am reduced to trolling this forum looking for help. The absolutely worst support and customer service of any company I have ever dealt with. So sorry I believed the reviews and bought this computer.

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,311
Message 12 of 97

Hello leav320, welcome to the Community,

Please don't post serial numbers in the forums; not a good idea. That said I've sent you a private message, please click on Messages at the very top of the forums.

debis, also welcome,

I was able to find your case in our system and will follow up on the status as soon as I am able to.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

rzawora
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,300
Message 13 of 97

I sent over my information to Andy, as requested. It was sent over on 9/29, and I've yet to hear anything back. I didn't even get an acknowledgement message back that my information was received, case opened, or anything like that. So no...no real help from Andy or anyone else at Lenovo. 

I was able to successfully repair my C540 by eliminating the faulty connector. To do this, you will need a standard SATA cable and an SATA power connector. The SATA cable will connect right to the motherboard where the old connector connected. The power connection will need to be spliced in via soldering. There was another thread in this forum that explained more detail. It was a pretty easy job for me, but I'm very tech-savvy. If you aren't tech-savvy and not used to taking apart electronics, I would think it'd be a little difficult. I think the hardest part was getting the whole thing apart...it was definitely the most time consuming.  It's truly sad that no word has come from Lenovo regarding this. As these units get older, I think it's going to happen more and more. 

ryan3417
Paper Tape
Views: 2,239
Message 14 of 97

The HDD slides and locks into metal tabs.

I had created a custom soldered harness like you did but there wasn't enough room to slide the HDD back in.  The new harness pushed up against the female screw post.

I've since bought a replacement connector from ebay, but i have concerns it will only fail again.

Any pics you can share?

Thank you!

DougEvans
Paper Tape
Views: 2,194
Message 15 of 97

Andy,

I have a C540 Touch that just had the same exact thing happen a week ago.  I've been in this business for over 30 years and I've never seen hard drives and connectors catch fire, much less multiples of the same model do it around the same time.  I'm guessing most of them are about the same age.  I find this to be very odd and extremely risky for Lenovo to have all of these potential fires out there.

Is Lenovo doing anything about this, even though they are out of warranty?

Thank you in advance.

Doug...

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 2,185
Message 16 of 97

Hello Doug, welcome to the Community,

I'm going to send you a private message to check some details with you and will then, as I have done for others, open a case with the customer relations team, please look out for the private message.

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

N0Name
What's DOS?
Views: 2,123
Message 17 of 97

Exactly same problem, burned SATA power cable (bottom side, side facing screen), machine is almost 3 years old. Happened week ago.

Unfortunately in my case, after replacing cable, PC won't boot at all so something else died (screen is working, can see OSD etc., but there is no POST, like screen is not connected to any device so most likely something else fried).

I do own around 11 devices (laptops / tablets / custom rig etc.) and among them 2 Lenovo products, laptop ThinkPad Yogo 12.5 inch and C540. From 11 devices over 3 years period only problematic devices are Lenovo ones... Both of them !!! Thinkpad was sold with faulty display (ghosting), replaced it works but now one dead touch area on screen is present, and with C540 burned power cable. Crazy @@

For me personally Lenovo is dead and I won't take any device even for free.. well I will and then sell them ASAP Smiley Tongue.

mllowe
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,095
Message 18 of 97

I was looking for a part number for the sata hdd power and data cable for my wifes B550 all in one machine that had it turns out to be very common cable melting-fire-burned wires-smoke damage-dead Seagat sata drive issue that several Lenovo AIO machines seem to be having.  This is on a machine I bought my wife for over $1800 about 3 years ago this time.  She happened to be using it when there was bit of loud noises, a big cloud of bad smelling smoke came out of the back of the unit. The monitor flashed a few times and quit. Smoke kept coming, she called me on the phone qucikly and I suggested she unplug the ups machine the computer is attached to and watch to see if smoke stopped - if not call fire department and I was on the way to the house, 20 minutes away.  No further drama till I got there, and was fairly upset about the machine turning on us.  I have had Lenovo Thinkpad laptops built for IBM for over 25 years and never had such a dramatic failure.  I called Lenovo to report this and was taken care of very nicely by the agent I spoke to, even gave her supervisor a commendation to pass on to her and her record.  The call was escalated up to a response team that was very supportive at the time - I was left with the feeling that "Something satisfying would be done."   after a few weeks, I called back to find out what "Satisfying would be done" about it and was told that my claim was "Closed - that the machine was out of warranty and nothing could be done!"  They never called to give me that news - even so I had been assured I would get communication and something would be done.  Boy was I let down.  1st  I was told I had to pay $69 for the dvds to reconstruct my locked up hard drive . (because Microsoft required it - They denied that! ), 2nd  I had to pay about $60 something dollars for the sata hdd cable, and it would take a while to be delivered  -- still not delivered, I have found an after market company that will sell one for $16, free shipping.  And, 3rd.  -  I had talked with Seagate, who had a 3 year warranty  (which had a few months left when the failure occured- they thought the drive had locked up and caused an overcurrent to melt and flame the cable because there is no fuse in or leading to the power supply in the B550 or probably other machines as well with similar problems -- on the hard drive, they said that it was up to Lenovo to request a replacement.

I am pretty irritated that so many machines have had this problem and nothing substantive has been done.  Sounds like a fairly serious issue that could lead to substantial damages to property and to users health and well being.  - I hope we can get some help - hopefully through Lenovo.  Think about Samsung and their firey telephones.  

Michael Lowe

Mod's Edit: Posting edited to conform to Forum Rules.

rzawora
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,071
Message 19 of 97

Sadly, it doesn't appear that Lenovo much cares about the information that has been posted here. We've all gotten the standard, "we'll open a case" response from Andy here in this thread. It's been over 2 months and I haven't heard a **bleep** thing from anyone. Not even an email saying something like, "sorry about your troubles, but because the unit is no longer under warranty there is nothing we can do." More importantly, I'm waiting on a public warning or recall letting people know the potential fire issues of these products. Apparently they don't seem to care. I have spoken with a consumer advocate attorney friend and made him aware of thIs thread. He is currently in contact with a couple people who's homes may have been ignited by their Lenovo computer. I'm sure once he's gets all of his stuff together and sends it over to their legal department we'll start hearing something. At least I'd hope so. I can't believe Lenovo is aware of these things melting down and catching fire, but hasn't even attempted to warn people about it. I will never purchase another Lenovo product as long as I live due to their lack of care or concern for the safety and well-being of the customers and their families. There's no excuse for blatant disregard of the information being posted here. A quick search here and elsewhere shows that this is NOT an isolated problem. In fact, quite the contrary...it appears that as these units age, the potential for fire and melt-down is increasing. 

AND TO ANDY...why do you even bother replying in here? What does opening a case do? Do I have one open? Who has reviewed it? What is the status? You have done NOTHING to HELP anyone here, so why bother? Lenovo pays you to do this? That's sad...ANDY do YOU EVER DO ANYTHING TO HELP ANYONE in these forums, or do you just post your standard "form letter style" responses?

mellism84
Paper Tape
Views: 2,039
Message 20 of 97

I had this same problem yesterday with my Lenovo C540 yesterday evening. There was clicking from the speakers, a burning smell, and smoke began rising from the rear of the machine. Andy, please send me a private message so I may open a case. What action does Lenovo plan to take to remedy this fire hazard?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors