cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDJD2004
Paper Tape
Views: 1,492
Message 31 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

The same thing happened to me today.  Screen flickered, blacked out, speakers clicking, and smoke starts pouring out back of monitor with toxic smell.  Lenovo's position.  "Out of warranty.  No recall.  Too bad.  Call Geek Squad."  Really?  I am furious that after this much time and this many reported occurrences, they have not issued a recall.  They are lucky someone's house hasn't been lost.  The height of corporate irresponsbility.

soca
Paper Tape
Views: 1,448
Message 32 of 90

The same thing has happened to me today. Smoke, smell, crack sound. I was lucky to be there. This is probably much wider problem. 

Lenovo C540 - machine type 10110

S/N:  CS********

Configuration Number:  57316564

Filip

ReRobot
Paper Tape
Views: 1,400
Message 33 of 90

Same exact thing here back in November... Im just getting to trouble shoot the issue now, and it seems Im not alone.

Lenovo really needs to issue a recall or at least a public announcement to warn people about this before someone gets hurt!

I would like a replacement cable that is not affected by this issue to get my machine back up and running!

Shame on Lenovo for not addressing this OBVIOUS  manufacturing defect and PUBLIC DANGER!

sparkyw
Paper Tape
Views: 1,390
Message 34 of 90

To follow up my last message. I think it's only fair to say that the follow up support I received from Lenovo has been excellent. I've been contacted by a very pleasant guy called Paulo and he's helped me out. Thanks to Andy also for the original contact.

I've no fear now in the new machine we bought (My dad bought), I've also since purchased a Lenovo laptop for diagnostics in our workshop.

In my own line of business things unfortunatley go wrong from time  to time, it's how the problem is handled that's important. Just thought I'd add some balance and a follow up, rather than just a single post complaining

Dpr01
What's DOS?
Views: 1,325
Message 35 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - smells like fire and making awful clicking sound

Used computer yesterday no issues.  Today walked into room smelled smoke and computer was making clicking sound.  Called Lenovo.  Said take and get fixed and you are responsible for whatever the cost......  Only after I continued to say the there is the smell of fire and that I have read other people reporting the same issue did the tech agree to bump my problem up to the next level.  Someone is supposed to call/write me 3 business days.  What if it had happened and no one home and house caught on fire, very concerning.  

Photomom17
What's DOS?
Views: 1,306
Message 36 of 90

We just got home from vacation & turned on our C540 All-in-One (Lenovo) for the first time in ten days. My son was playing a game for a few minutes before the "blue screen of death" came up, computer shut down and smoke started coming out of the machine. Unfortunately, I am not hardware saavy and don't know how to open up the machine to confirm this is the issue, but seems to be consistent with other posts. How do I verify? Can I replace the SATA cable for a reasonable price? The computer is definitely out of warranty and I cannot figure out how to contact Lenovo.

garnettsmith
What's DOS?
Views: 1,288
Message 37 of 90

I found my replacement cable on Ebay for about $12.00.  It's a little bit of work to get the computer case disassembled to replace the cable, but actually replacing the cable is pretty easy.

There are several videos on Youtube that will help guide you through getting the casing removed.

lsrssll
What's DOS?
Views: 1,262
Message 38 of 90

The problem with this pc is that they put a full size hard drive in it. The motherboard is for a laptop and the power surge is too much when it is turned on, causing the burning and eventual arcing of the power.  I replaced the hdd and put in a 2.5" sata drive. Starts quietly and uses much less power on startup.  Lenovo should have made this right with a recall. i sent a letter and placed a call, but received no reply. Poor customer service, poor design. Think it is back to Dell for me. 

jjwinter
What's DOS?
Views: 1,236
Message 39 of 90

Same issue, fortunately an alert employee smelled it and unplugged the PC. I was able to scrape the burned plastic off the HD Sata connector on the HD and rescue the data off the drive on another machine. Should I bother opening a case? We had another PC do this last year, same model. I thought it was fluke, once-in-a-mllion issue, so we chucked it. Any useful responses from Lenovo?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 1,225
Message 40 of 90

Hello jjwinter, welcome to the Community,

By all means you are entitled to open a service case yourself or send me your details as I requested the opening poster to do in message 3 of this discussion. Others might suggest that doing so would achieve nothing but I am of the opposite opinion.  If you do open a case yourself please let me know the case number by private message in order that I might follow it.

Regards

Andy

English Community Leader

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Deutsche Community Comunidad en Español English Community Русскоязычное Сообщество Communidade Portugues

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors