cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KohlerpCZ
Paper Tape
Views: 1,406
Message 41 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

Same happened to my C540 - burned SATA cable 3 days ago, today disassembled and found burned SATA cable.

I ordered already replacement cable + SSD 2,5 as I do not believe with original HDD could not happens again (however HDD works at least I did not lost data), obviously wrong setup of machine with 3,5 SATA disc connected to low throughput power supply, caused burn. 

PM sent to Andy_Lenovo already.

BTW It is unbelievable, such known chronical issue since a year almost and nobody from Lenovo warned customers. I could guarantee it would happens to every PC ot same type and configuration... For lawyer, could be an easy challenge to blame Lenovo from very seriously hazard acting and hiding factory configuration issue. There is no joke about fire caused by electronics... Would be coming "Lenovo-gate"?

I do not blame Lenovo for wrong config, It could happens. But I blame them for hiding and not acting. Keep looking for response and result of this issue.

bayuindrawan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,374
Message 42 of 90

Just got exactly same issues...

call lenovo service center in Bandung (Indonesia), they answer : its out of guarantee and no responsible on it.

No solution, No customer protection. Lets lawyer work on it...

regards,

Bayu

Machine Type: 10110

Product Family: C540

CPU: I i5-3330S

HDD: 1 T

RAM: 4G

Brigantine
Paper Tape
Views: 1,326
Message 43 of 90

Same here, Operator turned on machine and blue screen came up smoke started coming out. Amazed no advisory has gone out on this. We have one other of the same type, will have chuck both of them, cannot risk a repair and this happening again, would rightfully get sacked for it. Will NEVER purchase a Lenovo again, have to look around and see if we have any other products of there, know we have b50 laptop somewhere, need to check on that now... Machine Type: 10110 Product Family: C540
ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,275
Message 44 of 90

We had this same thing happen to our PC and you (mentioned opening a case (800909****) but when we tried, we were informed it was out of warranty and we should call "The Geek Squad". I know when my wife called, all we wanted was for corporate acknowledgement that there is an issue. My wife and her sister each received one of these PCs as a gift in 2013 so we know that the warranty is over, but the bigger concern is the fire hazard and how lucky we were to be right there when the connector failed. If someone else, and I'm sure the few that have posted here isn't the limit, has this problem with a machine left unattended, there could be more serious ramifications than just a smokey house: try burned down house. My sister has already ordered a replacement from some other vendor due to the problems we have been having today. We have already started a corespondence chain with Amazon (where it was purchased) and the State Attorney General. However things turn out, word will be out there to protect people from this potential hazard.

People need to know

Brigantine
Paper Tape
Views: 1,260
Message 45 of 90

Stated very well, will look into reporting to consumer protection agency.

BigCarlNJ
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,206
Message 46 of 90

Same Issue - found this thread after searching LENOVO C540 CLICKING NOISE and BURNING SMELL.

I have disassembled the machine and the HDD Cable is removed and appears to have melted.

How do I go about getting a repalcement?  Do I have to purchase a 3rd party cable or is Lenovo providing a rpelacment part that is engineered not to melt. I am always concerned when a PC shows signs of a possible fire.

Please Let me know what infomration you need and what Lenovo's immediate course of action is.

Thank you in advance for your help

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,193
Message 47 of 90

Welcome to the Lenovo Community BigCarlNJ !

Sorry to hear of your experience.  Earlier in this thread Andy_Lenovo posted information on how to contact Lenovo regarding this issue.  Please review message #3 in this thread for more information. 

You can go directly to message #3 by clicking here.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Brigantine
Paper Tape
Views: 1,150
Message 48 of 90

Wow, the issue is consistent, we have two c540's purchased in 2013, first one went last week on 4/26, the 2nd one just went this morning, started clicking and burning on start up. We have been shutting it down at night. It may be a design failure but the manufacturing was consistent for the failure.

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 1,017
Message 49 of 90

Thought I'd read up before replacing this cable and quite shocked to see this is such a wide spread issue!  I've been working in IT for over ten years now and have never seen a SATA cable set light.  Looking through photos of damage others have posted its identical, always same area of the cable that blows out as well, identical scorch mark on chassis plate.

Logged a support case with Lenovo, despite the unit being out of warranty I fully expect at least a replacement cable and ideally an explanation of the design flaw/reassurance my mums house won't be burning down in the near future if I let her continue to use this.

hort_wort
What's DOS?
Views: 877
Message 50 of 90

Add another to the tally board. My father's computer had the same issue and I just ordered another cable off eBay. It's amazing how exact the problem is -- the pictures posted might as well be ours.

We had actually mailed this system out for warranty repairs before because it was having trouble booting and staying on intermittently. I purchased another Lenovo computer since then because they tried hard to make things right. I wonder now if the issue was the same cable just starting to have trouble...

Standardized parts, guys! Come on! Lower fail rates, lower price, and easier to keep stocked.

(Is anyone else reminded of Fight Club how the guy would run an equation to see if a recall would exceed the price of the total number of lawsuits that could come from not having one? I feel bad for the person working on this case, what a job...)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors