cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 911
Message 51 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

So after a bit of a battle I've now got mine back up and running.  Logged with Lenovo, its out of warranty but they sent me an automated email to confirm a courier had been booked to return it to Germany for repair.  Was warned that data loss would occur and I wasn't happy with this as I'd rather just have the new cable.

Had to push it to manager level to get a new cable and acknowledgement that this is a known issue.  The new cable is apparently a revised version with modifications to the pins inside the SATA connector at the drive end.  Although i'm dubious as the model number, revision number are identical to the old cable.  The wiring rating etc are also all the same.  The only thing that was different was an LFO date, which on the new cable is in 2024 where as the current burnt out cable LFO date was 2016. 

So for anyone else, if you push you will get a new cable.  Now time will tell if the problem is actually fixed, hopefully not at the cost to someones house. 

DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 872
Message 52 of 90

Hi, My C540 also csught on fire this weekend, were you able to repair yours? -Dan

Brigantine
Paper Tape
Views: 865
Message 53 of 90

I had two burn up within a week about 2 months ago. pushed for them to be repaired and they were sent to NC for repair even though they were out of warranty. Received call a few weeks later that they could not be repaired and was offered a discount on purchase of new lenovo pc's, 35% I think. 

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 862
Message 54 of 90

Read my post above, i pushed Lenovo for a new cable and replaced. Depends on whether the hdd is damaged as well.

DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 854
Message 55 of 90

Thanks, did you end up getting to a manager by phone? -Daniel

DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 843
Message 56 of 90

Amazing, picture of my computer looks the same. same spot. -D

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 816
Message 57 of 90

yep, same place on my connector!

TazmnDvl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 774
Message 58 of 90

My wife's birth Mom just gave me her C540 and told me it was clicking and smoking. After looking at a number of videos I can confirm that the HDD cable is burned at the hard drive connector. This seems to be a problem for this model as I've read the same issue multiple times on this forum. I don't know if the HDD is cooked as well and need to get a replacement cable to test it out.

This is a serious FIRE issue and risk. There should be a recall or something and a general notice to consumers. The images posted on prior reports are identical to what I'm seeing.

The issue is related to the power part of the cable and  not the communication interface cable.

I've attached a pic of the cable version.

Taz

DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 743
Message 59 of 90

I was working in the Yard and my 9 year-old daughter ran outside yelling "Dad, Dad come quick" I said "this better be serious!!", sure enough it was as I could smell the smoking computer from the back door. Lenovo was no help. It is hard to believe they would ignore a known and serious problem. 

I was able to order a replacement cable online and the computer booted up, I kept it on long enough to download all my files and pictures.  

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 738
Message 60 of 90

Be nice to see some acknowledgement from Lenovo customer support on here to iterate its a known fault and that they are addressing. They should be recalling all of them before someone's house burns down. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors