cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bdelgado
What's DOS?
Views: 775
Message 61 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

On telephone with support as I write this. We are experiancing the same issue with the clicking noise and once I found and reviewed this thread I immediately turned off and unplugged from wall. Seems like this is a major flaw with this computer and I am hoping that Lenovo steps up to the plate and takes care of my computer as well as all others that are experiancing the same issue. I'm not sure how this could be going on for so long without Lenovo acknoledgeing the issue and taking proactive measures to ensure that a catatrophe doesn't happen. I'll update this thread as soon as I am off the phone with support. 

bdelgado
What's DOS?
Views: 774
Message 62 of 90

After speaking with support, they said the case is being escalated to the highest level of support and that a representative would be getting back to me within 3 business days.

bdelgado
What's DOS?
Views: 769
Message 63 of 90

Found this very informative video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysX7qb2MFMo

PaceB2
Paper Tape
Views: 666
Message 64 of 90

I had this happen and i'm glad i'm not alone. I came home to find the smell of smoke and the clicking sound, on my C540 (Touch) All in One. It fried my hard drive! I got a new hard drive, and I spliced the SATA cable and put on a new one. I brought it back, to the place i purchased it and they put Win. 7 on it. I had Win 10! Now, I can't get the BIOS screen to come up. Just the single beep and the Lenovo name comes up on a black screen. Can anyone help? Warranty is no longer available for this computer. I've been working on this problem for half a year now. I wish I'd taken pics. I can still see the burnt marks on the metal, but I've long since discarded the SATA end piece, that fried my hard drive.

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 663
Message 65 of 90

Keep pushing it with support, its a fire risk, they will replace the cables/machine regardless of warranty status. It's better that than the Pr nightmare that awaits them if everyone decides to talk publicly 

PaceB2
Paper Tape
Views: 653
Message 66 of 90

I'll do it! Thanks
DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 645
Message 67 of 90

Here's a picture of my cable that burt up. I gave up on customer serive, I didn't have anymore time. 

I bought a repalcemant cable on ebay & installed. The computer booted up and ran long enough for me to remove pictures & documents. I deceided not to chance it as a home coputer again. -Dan

PaceB2
Paper Tape
Views: 639
Message 68 of 90

I put a new end on my cable. With my new, 1T HHD, I have made a WIN 10 USB install memory disk, with the help of Microsoft Support. However, now, when I turn on the computer, I hear the hard drive "humming" and am holding down the F2 key, but I only see the LENOVO on my screen and that "beep!" Nothing else is happening.
garnettsmith
What's DOS?
Views: 631
Message 69 of 90

I think I would physically disconnect the hard drive from your repaired cable and try to reboot.  If you can get into setup at that point, I would think that would  indicate that your splicing of the drive cable is faulty. 

There may be some better suggestions, but for me, that's where I'd start.

Garnett

Dj5acres
What's DOS?
Views: 525
Message 70 of 90

We have just had the same thing happen to our Lenovo C540. Clicking, burning odor. I  could post a picture that looks much like all others posted of the inside scorching on the metal.Scary stuff. It is just a matter of time before serious personal damage is an issue. I don't want to replace with same faulty design. What's the answer? Thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors