cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 984
Message 71 of 90

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

Please check mesage #3 in this thread.
Regards
Dave

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 976
Message 72 of 90

So, to continue our saga: I rebuilt the connector so that isn't all-in-one (separate power and data), replaced the damaged drive and was able to recover the data from the old drive. The case with our State Attourney General passed to North Carolina's SAG and there has been a lot of information gathering. The NCSAG contacted Lenovo, Lenovo contacted us again asking for the part that was defective but we said we sent pictures and we were going to hold onto the melted part until the various SAGs no longer might need it. They were ticked, informed the NCSAG that we repaired it and there was no problem. We said to the NCSAG that we fixed ours, but there should still be a recall since there are still more of these messages showing up on Lenovo's site.

We'll see where it goes from here. We really aren't looking for lawsuits or mass publicity. We just want Lenovo to do the right thing and recall the part/AiO PC. It really isn't that hard to understand.

But without a recall and admission to the problem, there may be no other way to get this done than to have it publicised nationally.

bmpaddy
What's DOS?
Views: 971
Message 73 of 90

This happened to me last week after a rare shut down over the weekend - normally my machine is on 24/7 so I hate to think what would have happened had I been out. First the clicking then a plume of smoke so I rapidly pulled the power cable out. 

I have had a replacement cable on eBay and installed with what appeared to be success - however I can not restart due to 'Windows Boot Manager is Blocked by Current Security Policy'!

I am currently working my way through forums as my essential work is on this machine and I need to access it - any help much appreciated.

JASNAS
Fanfold Paper
Views: 915
Message 74 of 90

Hello I am posting this from the UK where I had this same issue on Sunday evening.  Terrifying.  Lucky the house did not burn down - by the time I got to my Lenovo AIO it was smoking - horrendous smell of burning and clearly on the verge of bursting into flames.    Surely this cannot be right?    There are so many of us flagging this up that there has to be a design fault.   I have no technical skills - certainly not enough to deal with replacing burnt cables (which seem to be the issue).    Like many of us, my Lenovo is nearly 4 years old - so am I really expected to throw it away and spend big on a new AIO when there is clearly an on-going situation - that I suspect is going to affect many more people!   Surely the authorities need to be informed as this must be a major consumer safety issue.   I read Lenovo had to recall computers in 2012 for a similar issue!   Why not for the C540?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.  I was shaken up - upset - and am now really aannoyed as well!

CANDSP
Paper Tape
Views: 858
Message 75 of 90

Hi All,

Sad to report another occurrence of the click of death. Luckily I'd been alerted to this forum and the fire risk so as soon as it was heard, we shut our machine down. Same MO though, completely black screen, no start up at all and a strange, clicking, ticking noise from the speakers. Our C540 AIO was purchased at the end of October 2013 and is rarely used so this obviously has nothing to do with overuse.

Like other posters, we are shocked to see that there has not been a recall for this model as there is clearly a design fault here which produces a fire risk and ultimately a risk to life.

Have any posters had any success with Lenovo or the administrator towards a satisfactory resolution or is the party line - out of warranty, not our problem?

Like others, we will have to reluctantly replace the PC although the expectation was that this would last much longer than its predecessors as the workload is now spread across mobile phones and tablets - it certainly should have done more than 4yrs based on its minimal usage. Needless to say, it's replacement will not bear the Lenovo name.

ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 840
Message 76 of 90

If you push hard enough on support, they will offer to replace the poorly designed part with the same poorly designed part. I preferred my way: rebuild the connector so that the AiO SATA connector is no longer All-in-One.

I still don't like the hoops to jump through to get to the point of them even replacing the part. As can be seen in my previous post, we can't get them to admit there is even a problem.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 809
Message 77 of 90

All...

To reiterate, please review message #3 in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-A-B-C-N-S-Flex-Horizon/C540-Touch-6267-SATA-Hard-drive-cable-CAU...

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 749
Message 78 of 90

To reiterate: we (my wife and I) have moved beyond the query for information. I DM'ed the info months ago. What transpired would have replaced the defective part with the same, poorly designed, soon-to-be-defective part again with the same potential for fire. We were also asked to send the part in, but until this has been resolved through the various governmental agencies, we aren't giving up the defective part. Pictures should be enough and the various people who have already sent the part.

Dekor
Paper Tape
Views: 594
Message 79 of 90

Well surprise surprise, the cable that was replaced in July, which apparently was a revised cable has failed.

Back to Lenovo complaints department I go! 

LudaVega
Paper Tape
Views: 460
Message 80 of 90

Don't know if I'm the first from South Africa but my C540 just bommed on me.

Same issue with HDD-SATA connector, I've replaced the power and SATA cables as well as the HDD, but I'm still getting the clicking noise over the speakers. Guess I'm the winner of severe damage.

I've read the thread on this issue and I assume that nothing has been done or heard from Lenovo yet?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors