cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ianwool
What's DOS?
Views: 531
Message 81 of 93

Re: C540 Touch - 6267 - SATA Hard drive cable CAUGHT ON FIRE!!

Hi All

Just to report that I have had the same issue with the cable to the hard drive. Just a couple of days ago in  July 2018 I saw smoke coming out the back of my C540 on boot up. Fortunately I was in the room when this happened so was able to quickly disconnect the power supply to prevent a full blown fire.  

Given that this appears to be a dangerous and potentially fatal recurring issue then I am appalled that Lenovo have not been proactive and taking necessary steps to rectify the cable on sold PCs. Don't they care about their reputation and people's lives? 

I will be bringing this issue to the attention of the UK authorities.  

DR1234
Paper Tape
Views: 425
Message 82 of 93

Got the same problem but has damaged the PCB on the  HD. Does this problem damage the mother board?? Or does replacing HD & connector solve the problem??

ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 407
Message 83 of 93

I rebuilt the connector with standard parts so that the power and data were separate and replaced the drive. Luckily, 2 of the 3 power pins that damaged were still usable and I was able to get the old data off. Still using the machine but I have less fears of the connector.

DR1234
Paper Tape
Views: 396
Message 84 of 93

Thnx for reply. I have reported incident to Trading Standards I think these machines should be re-called. Some day there could be a realy serious fire.

ChaosIII
Fanfold Paper
Views: 374
Message 85 of 93

I agree but my State AGO didn't go any further with action. Maybe FTC? I don't know. I tried, then I just fixed it.

It is sad that there is this one flaw that they don't take to heart. I have looked for any (ANY) other problems with SATA drives and haven't found anything like this. I use Lenovo servers, PCs and laptops (go Yoga!) so it isn't the standard I get from the company. They have quality products so why not admit a design flaw and fix it?

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 358
Message 86 of 93

Hello DR1234, welcome to the Community,

You should please contact support, details below, and request they address the situation for you or refer to post 3 in this thread.

uksupport.PNGUK Support Contact

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

FrankCa
What's DOS?
Views: 312
Message 87 of 93

In our case, the hdd was burned, but after cleaning we could copy data from it. The cable is being replaced from the link below. The motherboard should be ok, as there is metal separating it from the drive.

https://www.impactcomputers.com/index.php?_route_=dc02001mu10.html&manufacturer_id=76

MarthaLu
What's DOS?
Views: 175
Message 88 of 93

Unfortunatelly, I have the same issue, enlarging the list of disaponted customer.  I'm very frustated because there is no way to pass the fact that the computer is out of warranty, but all I know is this is a design/built issue from this model.  In my case, the hard drive is completely loss because of the fire it caught. Besides de burn area shown and the smell of burn of the hard drive, all my pictures were lost without any way to recover, plus any other document I had.  The computer is useless and I do not trust any repairs because I do not know if it's really worth the risk of loosing data again, in case I get a new hard drive with the pertinent replacement of SATA cable... I do not know if fire burned any other component in the mainboard.

I bought this computer believing that I was buying for a solid name, but so far, I can not even talk to a representative about this matter. Whether this computer is or not in warranty, this issue is nothing to do with normal wear and tear.  

Enclose find copy of invoice, and picture of burn and hard drive.

Computer purchased:  09/28/13 at Best Buy.

Machine Type: 10110

Serial No.:         #########

Product family: C540

HDD:                    1T, Seagate Barracuda, A/N: Z1D4GD9N

I trully expect that Lenovo respond to this claim as this is not acceptable.

LenovoReceipt.jpgReceipt from original purchasedHDDwithBurn.jpgHard drive with burneBurnedArea.jpgburned area on detailDetailAreaBurned.jpgburned areax

Image Removed

Mod's Edit: Serial number removed from public view to protect member from its unwanted use.

Image removed for the owner's protection as it showed the serial number of the system. Please edit out the serial number if you wish to re-post the image. Thanks!

DR1234
Paper Tape
Views: 171
Message 89 of 93

Hi Go back to where you bought it as it their responsability, irrespective of how old it is. It is a known fault. Or try Trading Standards. PC World eventually repaired ours free of charge. But we live in the UK

DanAlbuquerque
Paper Tape
Views: 120
Message 90 of 93

I didn't ever get anywhere with Lenovo or where I purchased the computer, But I didn't have the time to devote it. It appears some people did get somewhere with Lenovo after being very persistant. I am still shocked that  Lenovo hasn't done anything about it; a Home computer that catches fire! Pictures from all over the world show the same place the fire started. -Daniel

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals