Options

7 Posts

04-02-2013

London

31 Signins

316 Page Views

• Views: 316
  • Message 1 of 5

Connecting Xbox 360 to B540 through RF socket?

2013-04-08, 8:56 AM

I am on a mission to connect an Xbox 360 to my B540 which does not have any inputs such as HDMI or even AV.  My options seem to be using a video capture card or a RF Modulator/Adaptor (since the machine does have an aerial socket for the built-in TV Tuner to receive signals).

The video capture card route is a no-go area because of the lag effect in actually playing games, so I have decided upon getting a RF Modulator or RF adaptor to do the job.

My question is has anyone connected an Xbox 360 or other game console to a Lenovo B540 (or similar screen with only RF input) using this method? What was the image quality like? I know the outdated RF signal gives poor image quality on older, non-digital, TVs, but I  wonder if there would be an improvement on this with the B540's HD screen...

Another image quality related question is, are general RF Modulators better for my purpose than the all-in-one RF adaptors sold specifically for converting game console video to RF?

Thanks.

Solved! See the solution
Options

805 Posts

01-09-2012

GB

2374 Signins

11273 Page Views

• Views: 11273
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Connecting Xbox 360 to B540 through RF socket?

2013-04-08, 11:13 AM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000MGVAAQ/ref=pd_sim_vg_h__37

you would need something like this to connect upto 4 wireless xbox 360 controllers
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
Options

7 Posts

04-02-2013

London

31 Signins

316 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2013-04-08, 12:48 PM
Thanks caveman I will consider a wireless gaming receiver if I ever need more than two controllers, but my immediate concern is to connect an Xbox 360 to the B540 through the RF socket and get a reasonable screen image. Have you ever done this before?
Options

805 Posts

01-09-2012

GB

2374 Signins

11273 Page Views

• Views: 11273
  • Message 4 of 5

2013-04-08, 13:12 PM
the rf does not support the controller as it has to many inputs and the rf does not work like that
Thx dave

yoga 2, lenovo b540
3 custom gaming pc systems
Options

7 Posts

04-02-2013

London

31 Signins

316 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2013-04-09, 9:21 AM

Thanks again caveman, but I'm not trying to control the game console by connecting its controllers to the B540, I'm trying to output the video image from console onto the B540 screen via a RF modulator (since RF is the only video input connection on my B540). Therefore the game controllers need only be supported by the xbox itself :)

Anyway I took a chance and got it to work! The resulting video quality is only standard definition and sound is mono, but since I'm an unfussy, occasional gamer with no burning desire to buy a new tv just to play videogames, it is an acceptable fix and the B540 HD screen definitely helps to display the limited RF video signal to best effect. Of course, life would be much easier if my B540 actually had a HDMI in connection, but I digress...

Here's how I did it...

1) You can get an RF adaptor specifically made for game consoles, but from what I gather they provide poor image quality, even for RF. So I took a chance and picked up a Programmable Universal Modulator from Maplins (£29.99) which is used more generally to connect video devices to older TV's that only have RF aerial sockets.

2) The composite lead from the 360 goes into the modulator box, which connects to the B540 screen with a regular coaxial aerial cable. Then I opened the AverMedia TV Player software, went into Analog settings and configured the signal type to cable. Did an analog channel scan and found the xbox picture.

3) As you can see in the screen grabs*, the fullscreen image needs slight horizontal adjustment but everything is visible and there are no cut offs. The Windows 8 desktop bar also appears across the bottom of the screen. I have yet to figure out how to get rid of it.

You can also resize the game window to have picture-in-picture on the screen if you prefer. Very handy for multi-tasking, haha!

Getting an Xbox 360 to work with my B540 took an evening of trial and error. The results are not without quirks. As mentioned, the picture and sound quality is obviously not as good as HD. Furthermore, if you try removing and replacing the coaxial cable while the xbox and PC are connected it can result in image glitching and a one or two second delay between controller input and on-screen movement. So don't mess with the cable after tuning in.

More screen grabs:

*Image content used for non-commercial purposes and is copyright of the following: Tekken 6, Namco Bandai. Batman Arkham City, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. Final Fantasy XIII, Square Enix. All Rights Reserved.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save