Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
B540-DAC
Paper Tape
Views: 438,027
Message 1 of 39

ERROR CODE 1962 - NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND

My B540 continues to experience intermittent problems with Error Code 1962-No Operating System Found.  Sometimes the computer will run correctly for 3 or 4 days, other times for just an hour, but in the end it repeatedly locks up and will not reboot.  If I check the Bios Setup immediately after this happens, it says that there is no HDD.  However, if I wait for an hour or two with the computer off, it will boot.

1. The logical explanation is that the HDD is faulty, but that is not so in this case.  In addition to the HDD that came with the computer, I have tried two other HDDs, both brand new, never used, and both with fresh Win 7 installs.  Both of those ended up with the same Error Code 1962.  There is no way that all three HDDs could be defective.

2. I removed and reseated the memory.

3. I ran extensive diagnostic tests on the memory; it tests OK.

4. Someone suggested plugging the HDD SATA cable into a different SATA connection, but the B540 only has two connections (one for the HDD, one for the optical drive).  I swapped those two, but still got the error code.

I have to believe that the problem is with the motherboard.  I have noticed on the forum that other people are experiencing the same 1962 error code; has anyone found a working solution?

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 436,694
Message 2 of 39

Re: ERROR CODE 1962 - NO OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND

Hi,

Did you also swap the SATA cables?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

B540-DAC
Paper Tape
Views: 436,683
Message 3 of 39

Hi,

I would love to try swapping the cables.  Unfortunately, the B540 uses a proprietary SATA connection for the HDD; the data and power connections are all part of a single plastic connector, with the cables permanently attached.  There is no way to use a standard SATA cable without breaking the power and data portions of the connector apart, which would undoubtedly void the warranty.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 436,675
Message 4 of 39

Ah, bummer.  Thought maybe I was onto something...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 437,431
Message 5 of 39

You are on to something there... in fact you hit the nail on the head...

1962 error is that cable !!!

Lenovo Support Partner
Views: 433,896
Message 6 of 39

other option:

Pasos para hacer bootear Windows:

-apagar el equipo

-encenderlo y presionar constantemente la tecla F1 para entrar al BIOS.

-dentro del BIOS nos vamos al sub-menú Startup y lo configuramos de la siguiente forma:

***Startup***

*Primary Boot Sequence

*CSM: [Enable]

*Boot Mode: [Auto]

*Boot Priority: [UEFI First]

*Quick Boot: [Enable]

*Boot up Num-lock Status: [On]

add image in the mode perfect.

lsvmo
What's DOS?
Views: 426,091
Message 7 of 39

I have such a problem. And there is no matter if Legacy or UEFI is turned on.
I noticed that the author of the topic had put the video card into the computer.
I put a Network card. And have such a problem. Without the card the legacy system is being loaded.
So this is bug of Lenovo :-)

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 426,078
Message 8 of 39

The 1962 is a error message that refers to the cable from the hard drive to the motherboard. Simple I hear you say, NO, you can't fix it yourself it has to be sent to Medion !!!

The lead from the hard drive to the motherboard is hardwired so can't easily be fixed !

Medion have fixed 3 machines of mine ! and a replacement has just posted the same message. I'll replace the hard drive as I was in any case, but if it comes on again.... It's back for repair !!!
hiho_hiho2workw
What's DOS?
Views: 425,834
Message 9 of 39

r reading throught the forum it does appear to be a common fault.

My B540 machine is just out of warranty so where does that leave me? Will I have to pay for the return to Medion who repairs them or is this part of the estimate they talk of. My machine has at most been used 50 times, as it's only used when our grandson comes to stay at weekends.

I'm most annoyed that it's just out of warranty so feel I shouldn't have to pay, or Lenovo/Medion as a good will gesture should repair it anyhow, with such a great amount of others having this issue.

I'll ring them again on Monday as first time around they were not too helpful but insisted on a fee?

zatzus
What's DOS?
Views: 420,200
Message 10 of 39

For me it works like that!!
many thanks. now is installing, we will see if it really work.

"

other option:

Pasos para hacer bootear Windows:

-apagar el equipo

-encenderlo y presionar constantemente la tecla F1 para entrar al BIOS.

-dentro del BIOS nos vamos al sub-menú Startup y lo configuramos de la siguiente forma:

***Startup***

*Primary Boot Sequence

*CSM: [Enable]

*Boot Mode: [Auto]

*Boot Priority: [UEFI First]

*Quick Boot: [Enable]

*Boot up Num-lock Status: [On]

add image in the mode perfect.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors