Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Big_Fella
What's DOS?
Views: 428
Message 1 of 6

H520 went off last week and now won't boot

When we came to use pc in morning it had shut off over night. Turning it back on no splash screen and monitor won't recognize it at all. Using hdmi input. Changed power supply, removed memory and it beeps. Tried new memory.  Even tried another motherboard. Left hdd disconnected and pushed f2 on power up.. nada.. Can't get Lenovo splash. Pc keeps trying hdd for about 20 mins and if we shut it off and press a key it turns back on. Only thing not changed is cpu

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 416
Message 2 of 6

Re: H520 went off last week and now won't boot

It i pretty rare for the CPU to fail, and the fact that it beeps when the RAM is removed indicates that the motherboard is at least working to some degree, and although I cannot find a list of beep codes for your system, usually you will get 5 beeps if the CPU has failed.      

Some systems will also not boot if the CPU fan is not working, so check that too.

Are you sure that your monitor has not gone south, or that the input selection on the monitor is not set correctly?

Does your system have both the onbord video card and discrete PCI video card, and are you sure you are plugged into the right one?    Sorry...had to ask  : ) 

Best of luck,

Big_Fella
What's DOS?
Views: 393
Message 3 of 6

I'm using all on board ports with no add ones and I am using a 2nd mobo with same results. It's a dedicated monitor with a hdmi input and it did boot just once and ran for about 20 mins after all this started. I had just switched to one memory slot. Then would not reboot. The monitor works fine on my other pc and even tried the vga port. Even with hdd disconnected will not get Lenovo splash. Fans all work fine and CPU fan speeds up and slows down.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 386
Message 4 of 6

Well it sounds like you have ruled out every component short of the CPU, so regardless of how rare one failing usually is, it sounds like you have narrowed it down to the CPU being your problem.

Depending on what your system had before, you should be able to use any of the CPU's shown in the list below as long as it is of the same generation (2nd gen, 3rd gen etc).

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/64387iEA0DBCF1F894AD08/image-size/original?v=...

Best of luck,

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 369
Message 5 of 6

Welcome to the Lenovo Community Big_Fella !

One additional suggestion...... I would try reseating the processor.  The fact it worked briefly after switching the near-by memory modules would leave me to suspect a poor contact.  It is a long shot, but worth a try. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 341
Message 6 of 6

It's about the last thing I try, but I have had CPU failures.  Be careful, in one case, my CPU failure was caused by a bad motherboard.  If that is the case, you can change the CPU and "cook" the new one also.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors