6 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 1 of 2

IdeaCenter - USB thumb drives cause crash/shutdown

2013-04-24, 22:29 PM

Firstly ,  I have this desktop

IdeaCentre B540 - 25681JU

Every now and then when I insert a thumb drive in to the USB the fan will kick in on full force for about 2 seconds and then the computer will shut down. Ever since I bought the machine new.

It's not limited to a single thumb drive, it has occurred with both a Kingston and Patriot brand.

When ever I have lined the drive up and inserted it quickly and as straight as possible nothing has happened; it generally seems to occur when I am more casual about inserting it with less concentration.

It has probably happened about 10-12 times in 6 months- which doesn't sounds like a lot, but its not right all the same and it would be more if I were more lax about it.

Any ideas? Or others with the same problem?

Damien

Options

6093 Posts

02-11-2012

PH

4455 Signins

274697 Page Views

• Views: 274697
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: IdeaCenter - USB thumb drives cause crash/shutdown

2013-04-25, 22:50 PM

hi damien5000,

Welcome to the Lenovo Forums

Can you try to:

1. Boot the PC into the BIOS by continuously tapping F1 on startup

2. When you're in, try to insert the flashdrive

If the unit shuts down while inserting it in carefully, there's a big possibility that something is shorted inside (probably the I/O board) that's causing the PC to shut down and you need to contact lenovo for service.

If the unit doesn't shutdown, try to boot into safe mode and try to insert and access the flashdrive. If everything's ok, perform a clean boot, restart the computer in normal mode and observe the PC.

Let me know your findings

Cheers 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save