Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLuEArMy
Paper Tape
Views: 734
Message 1 of 6

LENOVO FLEX 20 WI-DI

Hi,

I just received my Lenovo Flex 20 today and i was very dissapointed to find out that wireless display was not supported. I thought it will be compatible as i checked the Graphics card and processor prior of buying it but unfortunately it doesnt have a compatible wireless card. I really need widi for my job as i want to present everything wirelessly on another compatible WIDI TV .

I was wondering whether if i buy The INTEL 7260AC wireless card and upgrade the system if i will be able to use widi. Will the system accept this wireless card? And if yes will i then just be able to install WI-DI software and make it functional?

I just wanted to add that i already tried another 2 x card (which i took out from my laptop - A Railink card made in 2010 and from an old HP MINI netbook - A Broadcom card) and they had been accepted by the lenovo flex 20. What are your thoughts then?

Will INTEL 7260AC be accepted by Lenovo Flex 20? If yes will this be enough to enable widi after installing appropriate software?

Thanks for your kind help!

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 679
Message 2 of 6

Re: LENOVO FLEX 20 WI-DI

Hi BLueArMy, welcome to the forum!

I don't know if you can install a Intel 7260AC wireless card in your Flex, however: if you are running Win 8.1 (update 1) you shouldn't need to upgrade the card. Win 8.1 has the ability to use Miracast, to wirelessly connect to your compatible TV.

I have the Lenovo A520, with a Realtek RTL8188CUS Wireless card, and it connects well with my Belkin SreenCast F7D4501 unit. I bought the Belkin ScreenCast to connect, via WiDi, my Y470 with Win 7. After I received the A520, and updated the  Win 8, to Win 8.1, I noticed that I had the "Connect To Another Wireless Device" in the charm bar Devices display. Just make sure you have the WiDi unit (or the setting in your TV) turned on, and the TV input is selected.

It may take you a little tweaking to get it all set up. IIRC on the first setup, my A520 needed to download some Windows updates during the process. After that, all of the remote display settings are under the Intel HD Graphics manager.

Let us all know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

BLuEArMy
Paper Tape
Views: 673
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I actually ordered the wireless card and i am expecting to have it by tomorrow. I will definitely try to install it and see if widi works. I didnt update to windows 8.1 yet but i will definitely do it right now.

In anyway i will let you know what happened tomorrow when i have the card.

I will try to update to windows 8.1 and see if this worked for me..

Thanks for your help.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 661
Message 4 of 6

Cool.

If you are planning to upgrade from 8 to 8.1, my only advice is to update the Flex 20 8.1 drivers from the Lenovo 8.1 update page, BEFORE doing the 8.1 upgrade. Then reboot to make sure all the drivers are applied.

When doing the Win 8.1 upgrade, don't trust a wireless upgrade. It's much better to have a wired connection to the Internet when doing this. Even wired, it could take some time with a black screen while upgrading. Not to worry mate, just abide. It took me 1-2 hours, and about 3 reboots (where some were generating a blank screen before any messages were posted) before it completed. If you have an "activity" light, it will keep on blinking. If you don't have the activity light (as some Lenovos don't any more), this process can be maddening!

Hang in there!

Cheers

DragonRider

I'm DO'ing IT

Yoga 900 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz (Skylake-Y)

X1 Carbon 2nd Gen (20A8) ThinkPad/YOGA Tablet 2 Pro-1380F/IdeaCentre A520 All-In-One i5-3230M/Lenovo Y470 i7-2630QM/T420

BLuEArMy
Paper Tape
Views: 640
Message 5 of 6

I just updated to windows 8.1 , i have updated drivers but i still dont have the option to connect to a wireless device..!

BLuEArMy
Paper Tape
Views: 627
Message 6 of 6

I am happy to inform you that Intel 7260AC wireless card had been installed on my Lenovo Flex 20 and as soon as i updated the drives of it i have the "wireless display" option under devices>project !!!

I am now definitely keeping my Lenovo Flex 20 as it wouldnt have been useful to me without the Wi-Di function!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors