cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidBFullerton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,616
Message 1 of 28

LENOVO IdeaCenter A740: a single 16GB memory stick works (upgrading from 8gb to 16gb) ...

10-31-2015 @ 4.25pm

On the A740, I figured out that it will allow 16GB laptop RAM stick in its single memory slot.

However, I did find out that a 16GB single-slot laptop memory stick will work on the A740

and will get you to 16GB memory on only one memory slot (which the A740 has).

The A730 was easier because it has two memory stick slots (so you could do 2 * 8gb = 16GB),

but A740 only has one memory slot.  Therefore, you can not go with two of the cheaper 8gb

memory, because you have to spend more on the 16GB single-stick laptop.  So, hope

this helps other people.

IRideSWorks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,540
Message 2 of 28

Re: LENOVO IdeaCenter A740: a single 16GB memory stick works (upgrading from 8gb to 16gb) ...

I would like to upgrade memory as well. I have not found any good instructions o ho to remove the computer case cover. Any suggestions? Also, what RAM did you purchase?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,535
Message 3 of 28

Re: LENOVO IdeaCenter A740: a single 16GB memory stick works (upgrading from 8gb to 16gb) ...

Welcome to the Lenovo Community IRideSWorks !

I have include two links below that may assist you with your project.....

The first is a link to your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual.  Page #23 explains how to remove the base cover.  Here is the manual.....

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/desktop_pub/lenovo_a540-a740_hmm_20140410.pdf

The second link is for the Lenovo Training Videos.  The Base Assembly video will illustrate the removal of the base cover.  Here is the link.....

https://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/showcase?sid=416&key=TGVuZw==

As for memory, here is what Crucial's website recommends for your model.  You can also use the specifications they list if your wish to shop around for other brands and sizes.  Here is the link.....

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/lenovo-a740

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

IRideSWorks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,532
Message 4 of 28

Got it. Thanks. I didn't know that you had to take off the rubber stands to access the screws.

IRideSWorks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,531
Message 5 of 28

Also, the Crucial memory site just shows 8GB RAM. Do you know which 16GB RAM is compatible? I found this one.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct204864bf160b

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 1,524
Message 6 of 28

Unfortunately I don't what would be compatible in the 16 gig size.  You might wait to see if the original poster David adds a reply.   Otherwise the memory you link to looks to have the specifications needed.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

DavidBFullerton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,513
Message 7 of 28

(12-05-2015 Sat @ 12.08 PM)

To all,

Referring to the questions, I do know that the SINGLE STICK of DDR3 laptop 16gb memory that I inserted was recognized and worked.  Since it only has one slot, it will not take two 8gb sticks like my other a720.  However, I am not sure which work and which don't.  I would just try them.

I looked at your link below:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct204864bf160b

And, it looks similar to what I had.  I just bought some generic and it seemed to work fine. 

I just still am a LITTLE BUMMED that they didn't leave two slots where you can buy the cheaper two sticks of 8gb memory.

IRideSWorks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,511
Message 8 of 28

I agree. Why just give one slot?
DavidBFullerton
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,508
Message 9 of 28

I'm clueless about it too.  I wish that I would have known before I bought it, because I was so pleased 

with the architecture of A720.  And, mine at work boots up ALMOST INSTANTLY (seriously) with two

sata3 ports with one for OS and other for PROGRAMS.  Wow, but these changes do surprise me.

IRideSWorks
Paper Tape
Views: 1,501
Message 10 of 28

Yeah. I have 2 8GB SODIMM cards and a 512GB Samsung 850 Pro that I was going to put into this to give it more kick.

I am confused about how Lenovo setup the 8GB SSD. I would probably just place the OS and software like Adobe Photoshop on the Samsung SSD. Then use the 1 TB HD as storage. I am just not a pro at setting up secondary drives and would need to do some research.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals