Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
B540-DAC
Paper Tape
Views: 4,441
Message 1 of 14

LENOVO SERVICE FOR B540

I have seen a lot of complaints in these forums and elsewhere related to unsatisfactory warranty service from Lenovo.  I think that it is important, therefore, to let everyone know of my positive warranty service experience.  My B540 repeatedly failed to boot, displaying the infamous Error 1962 message.  After spending about an hour on the phone with a clearly understandable U.S.-based Lenovo warranty rep, I was told that Lenovo was going to have their service techs install a new motherboard and some other parts.  The parts were briefly backordered, but within 1-1/2 weeks a service tech arrived at my house, replacing the motherboard and some cables in about an hour.  The B540 has functioned with no problems since then.  It is unfortunate that the computer malfunctioned in the first place, but Lenovo did everything that I could expect from a computer manufacturer to correct the problem.  Good going, Lenovo!

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 4,399
Message 2 of 14

Re: LENOVO SERVICE FOR B540

Did they replace the Hard Drive ?

I ask as this is the excuse they give for this error code ...

B540-DAC
Paper Tape
Views: 4,388
Message 3 of 14

I learned that the 1962 error code typically means either a) a bad hard drive, or b) a corrupted boot file.  However, my hard drive (the original that came with the computer) would boot correctly some of the time, and also worked just fine when I tried it in a different computer.  I usually try to solve things myself, so I actually tried two other brand new hard drives in the B540 before I contacted Lenovo.  The problem was the same with all of the drives; sometimes they booted and sometimes I got Error 1962.  I also thought that it might be a defective data cable, but Lenovo uses a proprietary combination power and date cable, so there was no way that I could put in a new standard data cable.  I explained all of this to Lenovo when I spoke with them, and they agreed that in light of the tests I had already done, it had to be either the data cable or the motherboard.  They sent both to the service tech, and he installed both.  Thus I will never know for sure whether it was the cable or the board, but obviously it must be less costly to pay their tech to install both at the same time rather than having to return later if only one or the other is installed and the problem persists.

Lenovo did, by the way, also send a new hard drive, but I told the tech that I wanted to try using the original (supposedly bad) hard drive first.  That original hard drive is working just fine. Based on what I've read in the Lenovo forums, the Error 1962 problem has plagued several B540 owners; I have never experienced this with other computers.

exscentric
802.11n
Views: 4,372
Message 4 of 14

Glad you've had a good experience  Maybe someone at Lenovo woke up to their great need :-)

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 4,356
Message 5 of 14

Great I'll have to ring them as I've tried different drives and even asked if there is any better ones Lenovo machines like !

Thanks

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 4,350
Message 6 of 14

WOW...

Rang them explained the situation and they are arranging for the machine to be brought back into their workshop !!!

What can  I say ??????

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 4,296
Message 7 of 14

Well, Well, rang then, picked up and it's away ...

Buckie
Punch Card
Views: 4,132
Message 8 of 14

In the workshop for 2 days and I've not got it back the way it was when first setup !!!

Can on praise those guys at the moment and praise B540DAC for bringing it to light in the first place ... Many Thanks

maxsupit
What's DOS?
Views: 3,351
Message 9 of 14

lucky you. but what about me in Indonesia? have sent this bloody brandnew machine to Bali tobe fixed but nothing was replaced n still have the same problem till now. wasting my money. sorry but I really disappoint

maxsupit
What's DOS?
Views: 2,092
Message 10 of 14

Sorry to say but it didn't happen to me. I had to send this bloddy computer to Bali (to be repaired) and sent it back again to Timor on my own budget and STILL have the same problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals