Options

1 Posts

05-04-2020

GB

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo C540 powers on, then switches off. HELP!

2020-05-04, 5:23 AM

Hello,

My Lenovo C540 is having problems. I love the thing. It's been a loyal servant for many years and I'm not ready to give up on it.

A year ago, I switched on my C540 and i could see the button light up, then goes out (no clicking sounds and power button lights up for only 1 second). A lenovo c540, when switched on and operating, should have its power button light on at all times.

I thought nothing of it and pressed the power button again. Nothing happened. I noticed that other appliances were not working now as well (wifi, microwave, etc.), so i headed over to the fuse box and "down stairs plugs" was off. 

Fixed the fuse box, went to my lenovo and powered it on again. Same issue. I performed a power drain, replaced the fuse inside the plug and problem still persist. 

I took my PC to other sockets around the house and same issue. I noticed when i plugged in the power cable to an extension, it blew the extension before i plugged the thing into my PC. At this stage, I suspect the adaptor/power cable is causing the issue. 

I have only now found the right adaptor/power cable for my PC online, but before ordering it I wanted to check in here to see if anyone has suggestions before I purchase something that might not fix my PC.

thanks, 

Options

11 Posts

08-11-2020

US

9 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 2 of 2

Lenovo C540 powers on, then switches off. HELP!

2020-08-12, 13:20 PM
Have you looked into the "click of death"? There is a defect in the SATA power cable that causes it to short out and will often make a click noise through the speakers before turning off. The cable can be replaced via purchase or by making your own with the right adapter and some soldering. I am trying to do so right now.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete