Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoytler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,856
Message 1 of 8

Lenovo provided Bluetooth driver for Win8.1 doesn't work on IdeaCentre A720

The Bluetooth driver that is supplied from support.lenovo.com does not enable Bluetooth on the IdeaCentre A720. After installing the driver, there are no bluetooth adapters listed in the Device Manager, the software never popualtes the tasktray.

I've attempted using the drivers direct from Broadcom's website, which appear to be the same driver. Neither enable bluetooth on an IdeaCentre A720.

This worked previously on Windows 8.0, prior to my Windows 8.1 upgrade.

Please update me on a fix or refreshed driver to properly enable bluetooth.

joseareta
Paper Tape
Views: 1,775
Message 2 of 8

Re: Lenovo provided Bluetooth driver for Win8.1 doesn't work on IdeaCentre A720

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I have being unable to pair any bluetooth device with my IDEACENTRE A7 (a couple of SONY bluetooth headphones, Jabra Clipper even my iPhone 5 or iPad 4). 

On the Apple devices the message "incompatible device" appears, while in the others pair and disconnect almost inmediately. 

I was able to pair all of them prior to the Windows upgrading. 

Any ideas?

hoytler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,752
Message 3 of 8

It's because you don't have a bluetooth adapter installed. The bluetooth driver for Windows 8.1 does not work. None of those devices will pair to the IdeaCentre A720 until Lenovo releases a working driver.

ajb2033
Punch Card
Views: 1,607
Message 4 of 8

Any solution for this?  Same problem, different machine. 

hoytler
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,601
Message 5 of 8

No, there is no official answer. There appears to be a really ugly work around, however. Effectively:

1) Dual Boot an install of Win7 (or another OS if you're familar with live booting Linux and working with Bluetooth adapters)

2) "Enable" or Turn On the Bluetooth adapter in the other OS

3) Reboot into Windows 8

4) Begin the driver installation process.

I'm waiting for an official supported Broadcom driver package to resolve this issue, honestly. It seems to be an oversight on how the installation pacakge detects the presence of a bluetooth adapter. This may not even be explicit to the A720, but without Lenovo's official acknowledgement of this issue, it's hard to tell.

But that lack of official support is what makes this AiO product a total disaster.

Needless to say, this will be the last Lenovo device I ever purchase. I didn't even make it 6 months after buying an A720 before they halted driver support and never delivered a dedicated Touchscreen driver that was Windows 8 compatible, thus making the touch experience on the A720 rather poor. It's a small miracle we got a NVIDIA driver update with Windows 8.1, considering they've locked down the GPU and you cannot install WHQL updates provided by NVIDIA.

The A720 is a joke and the joke is on us.

ajb2033
Punch Card
Views: 1,570
Message 6 of 8

Thanks, i'll give it a try.  But yeah, ridiculous.

joseareta
Paper Tape
Views: 1,565
Message 7 of 8

I was able to make it work with the following process:

Uninstall Bluetooth drivers and reinstall them.

Connect the devices from the Control Panel / Hardware (desktop mode), not from the Windows 8.1 configuration.

I have been able to connect most of my bluetooth devices that way.

Fixed_B320
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 8 of 8

Alternatively...  Strongly recommend going over to either wireless or corded and drop using Bluetooth - Try Logitech MK270 wireless keyboard and mouse. (< £20 on Amazon)

Top Kudoed Authors