08-03-2020

US

19 Signins

220 Page Views

• Views: 220
  • Message 1 of 6

Original stock factory BIOS ROM needed for Lenovo IdeaCentre B540p

2020-08-03, 15:05 PM

I have the Lenovo Ideacentre B540p AIO PC from 2012 and it is still going strong even in 2020 on Windows 10 and Linux with SSD upgrades.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre-b-series-all-in-ones/ideacentre-b540p/3363/33631cu/vs70028779

It has been my daily driver for all these years and I have learned a lot, together with this erstwhile beast of a machine. 

So Lenovo was an excellent choice I made back then and I am quite happy all the way.

I have managed to get all the latest drivers (officially and community-sourced) for everything except the BIOS. 

I have stock factory BIOS Version EIKT19BUS dated 05/30/2012 and has been fine so far even without any updates except for the absence of UEFI boot manager GUI.

Recently I tried to "Load optimized defaults" in the BIOS but it is not working. The BIOS values in the NVRAM are not resetting.

And it looks like I need to re-flash or replace my ROM chip with the factory BIOS version.

I couldn't find a copy of the original BIOS in the downloads section(though it shows 1 download). Everything else is available in the Downloads section.

But I will need the original official factory ROM of BIOS version EIKT19BUS dated 05/30/2012. 

I am not asking for an update but the archived stock factory version which should be available with Lenovo.

I keep my trust in Lenovo support and the community to find this lifesaver. I am posting this with a lot of hope.

Please help me keep this champ alive to celebrate its 10th Anniversary and thereby perhaps to say a wonderful story even in and beyond 2025.

Options

4 Posts

08-03-2020

US

19 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re:Original stock factory BIOS ROM needed for Lenovo IdeaCentre B540p

2020-08-19, 13:52 PM

I believe there are at least 3 BIOS chips on the board. 

1. Main BIOS (size is 8192KB / 8MB)
  2. EC BIOS (size is 2048Kb / 256KB)
  3. GPU Legacy BIOS (size is 1024Kb / 128 KB)

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can direct me to the official source.

Options

4863 Posts

02-08-2014

DE

9219 Signins

74834 Page Views

• Views: 74834
  • Message 3 of 6

2020-08-20, 3:40 AM

Please be informed that no BIOS update is required for this product.

What is BIOS?
BIOS is programming that controls low-level hardware operations, including interactions with diskette drives, hard drives, and the keyboard. The BIOS is stored on a chip. Your computer uses flash BIOS, which can be updated through a program on a flash diskette so that you do not have to replace the BIOS chip to update the BIOS.

Why there is no BIOS update utility available for my machine?
Only certain BIOS update will be released for Idea products.
These BIOS update are to fix certain issues.
If there is no BIOS update available for your machine, this means that the current BIOS installed in your machine is functioning well. Hence, no BIOS update is required.

My machine encounters a specific problem, only BIOS update can fix it. What do i do next?
Please contact the Technical Support for further assistance.

No Bios is available in the download area. You have to contact the technical support.

Link: Support Phone List

Sorry for my bad English. I have to use a translation machine (DeepL).

Gruß Grisu_1968
X1 Carbon 6th Gen - Type 20KH & ThinkPad Ultra Docking Station - Type 40AJ. Windows 10 Pro x64.
Lösungen bitte als Gelöst markieren.
Bitte nehmt an der Forenumfrage teil um uns zu bewerten.
Options

4 Posts

08-03-2020

US

19 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2020-08-20, 6:08 AM

Thanks a lot for replying.

I made 4 calls in total and contacted Lenovo US via the tech support phone number. 

Talked to the Lenovo hardware team as well as the software team but they are saying that they 'can't find the file'. 

How is that possible? All other the driver files are still available on the website EXCEPT BIOS. 

It was never supplied to me with the computer in a CD or was never made available to download on the website, else I would have surely kept a backup copy.

I am not looking for an update because the device is beyond the scope of active development. 

But I am asking for the Original BIOS files. I believe it must be there in the archives somewhere.

Ideally it should have been in the download archive like most vendors do and like what Lenovo does it for other device models.

The 'tech support' phone number is not able to help and I find that unreasonable and unfortunate. It is such a critical and specific file which only the PC manufacturer can provide.

Kindly direct me to escalate this issue. I have not other option.

Please help.

Options

725 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

80 Signins

4413 Page Views

• Views: 4413
  • Message 5 of 6

2020-08-21, 8:18 AM

Hi,

I have looked into this, and i am sorry to say, but there is no BIOS file available, of the stock BIOS.

Ive checked every corner i have access to, but i am unable to help.

One thing that might actually solve the issue is replacing the battery if there is one available on the systemboard, which might be something you could look into.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

08-03-2020

US

19 Signins

220 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2020-08-21, 10:53 AM

This doesn't seem to be a problem with battery. 

It has to do with the actual BIOS chip itself or the BIOS image or the portions of BIOS (ME, NVRAM) has got corrupt.

I have to find a compatible BIOS IC chip and re-flash the fresh 'original factory BIOS' to that new chip.

I am perplexed and aghast to hear that the most vital & irreplacable file for a PC is missing from the manufacturers download archive.

Every other driver is available for download except this vital file. How do you explain that?

So far I had been so happy with Lenovo products but now I am utterly disappointed with this policy/practice.

My PC is going to be rendered useless for want of this bios file which rightfully I should have had access to.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete