03-18-2016

UK

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 1 of 4

Problem updating V530-22ICB BIOS ver. M20KT45A on a brand new PC

2020-05-15, 10:50 AM

I bought a Lenovo V530-22ICB PC at the beginning of May. Set-up went without a problem: after switching on Windows set itself up and then installed all its updates.  I then registered the PC using the Lenovo app and then installed all the Lenovo specific updates using the app.  

This included an update for the BIOS.  I am always cagey about updating the BIOS of any PC, but figured that as this was a brand new PC and I was updating using Lenovo's app, the process should be safe. Wrong! The BIOS update was flashed to the BIOS after which it 'rebooted' - the PC switched off, but never restarted, instead leaving me with a black screen and a POST error message consisting of two short beeps.

A replacement will be shipped once the dead PC is received by Lenovo. However, I am now left with a dilemma:  should I update the BIOS and risk the replacement dying on me or give it a miss? I know nothing about BIOS updates or why this one is needed: is it required for security or stability reasons and what are the consequences of not updating the BIOS?

Unfortunately, it has proved impossible to get any technical support from Lenovo at the moment and I would be grateful for anybody out there who has experience of updating the BIOS of this or any of the related models that use the same BIOS and who can provide any information as to what the BIOS update does, the risk of the same problem happening again AND if I decide to update it what if anything can I do the minimize the risk of the same thing happening.

Options

5 Posts

07-13-2018

IT

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Problem updating V530-22ICB BIOS ver. M20KT45A on a brand new PC

2020-05-18, 13:40 PM

Hi I also have similar problems with this version of firmware , on a machine has made me the same defect, once manually installed  the new bios It  is no longer restarted, i sent to the central laboratory lenovo and after many times(COVID-19)  is back and it  work for the major problem i sent  (also had problems with the USB and delayed the initial power-up) now the BIOS does not update in the same way before i sent it  .....

this has been going on for me since January 2020

Another think ... lenovo vantage when i check if there are new update offres my this bios , but is listed how correctly installed...... and when i try to install from the new proposal it start and fail asking to press a key like if same parameter are wrong(like before) ........

Options

4 Posts

03-18-2016

UK

22 Signins

106 Page Views

• Views: 106
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-05-18, 15:51 PM

Thank you for your response. Sorry to hear that you have had the same problem, but that it has been (partially?) resolved.  I think based your and my experience I will steer clear of attempting to update the BIOS when the replacement PC is delivered.

Options

1 Posts

07-19-2020

RO

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-07-19, 12:57 PM

Hi, i have the same problem with this version of BIOS - M20KT45A 

I had M20KT43A and decided to update, just failed the first rom the little one 1Mb(128k), the next was ok 128Mb (16MB).

Can someone help me with a dump both files from a working pc? any version

Now i have managed to revive it with a files from a AIO 520-22xxx but is not ok, doesn't shutdown nor reboot, but at least it boot's in windows.

i have tried again to flash the original V530 Files but the little rom fails sometimes so is a bug in programming software..

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete